SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 28, 2010, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Mine?

You have 5 messages stored, of a total 200 allowed.
flythreedee is offline Find More Posts by flythreedee
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 01:39 PM
Registered User
GryphonRCU's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
flythreedee,

He was telling me that my box was full.




Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
Registered User
ender707's Avatar
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flythreedee View Post
Hey fellas, not had a chance to read all 582 pages yet hope you dont mind me asking before i've finished
Would anyone mind helping me with which hobbyking brushless motor would be best for all out speed on 3s1p 2200mah in a Stryker? (should i get the turnigy 2200mah or rhino 2150mah?)
Could the prop then be changed for one with a different pitch for acceleration and high alpha etc?

Thanks ever so much
Either battery will work, the Rhino's are slightly larger than the Turnigy Lipos; I have a pair of Rhino 2250s and 4 Turnigy 2200s. The 2150 Rhino should be the same size as the Turnigy 2200s. Just make sure you get the highest "C" rated ones they have (At least 30, if they have them get the 40s).

THe Turnigy 2835 2700kv is "Stock" performance on an APC 6x4, and can run an APC 6x5.5 at under 40 amps.

The Turnigy 2836 2350kv outrunner performs better on the same props with similar amp draw, but requires modding the stock mount or upgrading to the outrunner friendly www.customrcparts.com mount that many of us here use.

If you want "all out speed", look through some of the last 10-20 pages or search for DoctorAudio's recent posts. He has squeezed a Lot of speed out of the higher kv Turnigy 2836 outrunners. But they draw high amps which would effect your ESC and Lipo requirements.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
Not again!!!!!!!
Switch2403's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Hey Guys, I just got back from my first real styker flight. I still was only able to run about half throttle because with my current set up I am pulling to many amps. But the good thing is, I came home with all components still working. Even at half throttle I enjoyed the control and the roll rates of this bird. Stopped at Mikes hobby shop on the way home and bought all the pieces to start building another one for speed.


Thanks Gryphon for the midwest info for my elevons. I have 2 sticks sitting right beside me just begging to be installed on styker 2.

All in all it was a good day, clean flights with my 450 heli and my planes. Normally the 450 comes back with some repairs needed and the stryker needing a new motor. Not this time........
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403
Last edited by Switch2403; May 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Switch,
Great to hear you got some good flying in! We've had great weather for it, lately. Good weekend coming up, too, if we can avoid heatstroke.

Is your power setup pulling too many amps for the battery, ESC, or motor? You may be able to prop down some to alleviate the amps and help things run more efficiently at the same time, since you won't have to back off the throttle.

What prop are you running now? If it's an APC 6x4E or stock Stryker prop, you can go down to a 6x4 Sport (Mike's has them) or an APC 5.7x3 1/2A Free Flight prop. Both will drop the amps while still keeping the climbing and speed similar to what you're running now on partial throttle.

Can you remind us what setup you're running, again?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Looks like we are in for a GREAT flying weekend here in the Northeast.

I am gunna try to borrow an HD camera for my next few flights.................................OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!
(I will still have the old tripod setup for doppler speeds, and hopefully post both together)

Get the dopplers warmed up !!!!!!!!!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 10:15 PM
Not again!!!!!!!
Switch2403's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Switch,
Great to hear you got some good flying in! We've had great weather for it, lately. Good weekend coming up, too, if we can avoid heatstroke.

Is your power setup pulling too many amps for the battery, ESC, or motor? You may be able to prop down some to alleviate the amps and help things run more efficiently at the same time, since you won't have to back off the throttle.

What prop are you running now? If it's an APC 6x4E or stock Stryker prop, you can go down to a 6x4 Sport (Mike's has them) or an APC 5.7x3 1/2A Free Flight prop. Both will drop the amps while still keeping the climbing and speed similar to what you're running now on partial throttle.

Can you remind us what setup you're running, again?

The only motor I had in my field box was the 2836-3700. The 3700kv motor with the 4.75x5.5 apc prop put me at 60.6 amps at WOT on a 40 amp esc. I looked for a 6x4 sport and a 4.3 x4.1 gruapner props when I was at Mikes but I couldn't find either one. I should have a shipment come in early next week with some 2836-2350's and I was wanting to try the 6x4 sport prop on it and check my amps. But I am also waiting on my 85 amp escs to come in as well, but until then I hope the 2350kv motors will put me under my 40 amps and maybe even prop up a little bit. By the way, the current batteries that I am using is 2200mah 3S 20/30C. But I have some 3000mah 4S 40/50c in the mail as well.
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 02:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
The Turnigy 2836 2350kv outrunner performs better on the same props with similar amp draw, but requires modding the stock mount
What would be involved when modifying the stock mount please? On a tight budget unfortunately

What speed might one achieve with the above outrunner motor?

I'm running the Turnigy 2835 2700kv motor on 3S 2200mah with APC 6x4 at the moment, would I yield a worthwhile increase in speed?
Would like to get the fastest 3S motor available from the start rather than buying twice, even if it means an ~85A ESC
(i read ~120mph is the reasonable limit for 3S1P?)


Many thanks everyone


(would i get more speed from the current 2700kv by switching to an APC 5.5x4.5?)
flythreedee is offline Find More Posts by flythreedee
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 09:13 AM
Registered User
Boston, MA
Joined Oct 2008
99 Posts
Maiden my Stryker yesterday this thing is smooooth & fast, the park got small real fast (two football fields)Ö.
Had butterflies so bad I could hardly stand, only flew half throttle. Never thought I would fall so fast IíM IN LOVE

2409-12T Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor
2.3 oz, 1600KV, 200 watts
APC 6x5.5E
HK 25-30 esc
3s 2200Turnigy lipo
flyhigh8 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh8
Last edited by flyhigh8; May 29, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh8 View Post
Maiden my Stryker yesterday this thing is smooooth & fast, the park got small real fast (two football fields)Ö.
Had butterflies so bad I could hardly stand, only flew half throttle. Never thought I would fall so fast IíM IN LOVE

2409-12T Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor
2.3 oz, 1600KV, 200 watts
APC 6x5.5E
HK 25-30 esc
3s 2200Turnigy lipo
Congrats on a successfull maiden. Got any pictures you can upload ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
Registered User
ender707's Avatar
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flythreedee View Post
What would be involved when modifying the stock mount please? On a tight budget unfortunately

What speed might one achieve with the above outrunner motor?

I'm running the Turnigy 2835 2700kv motor on 3S 2200mah with APC 6x4 at the moment, would I yield a worthwhile increase in speed?
Would like to get the fastest 3S motor available from the start rather than buying twice, even if it means an ~85A ESC
(i read ~120mph is the reasonable limit for 3S1P?)


Many thanks everyone


(would i get more speed from the current 2700kv by switching to an APC 5.5x4.5?)
The 5.5x4.5 will not give you more speed, it will just make the Stryker slower and harder to fly on that motor. You would notoice an increase in speed/performance with the 2836 2350kv motor, but maybe not what you are looking for (120).

To get the 2836 outrunner to fit, you will have to dremmel out 1-2 mm from the inside of the mount so the can can rotate freely. The plastic tabs that bolt the motor on will then be suporting all of the weight/stress from the motor, so they must be re-enforced. Some good ways to do that would be to use small washers on the "Outside" of the 4 mounting holes, or to use the "X" mount on the outside of the mount (which may require longer screws).

The 2836 2350kv motor is just under 40 amps on the APC 6x5.5, and the plane scoots along quickly, unlimited vertical and good all around power, but it is definately <100mph.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:56 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Looks like we are in for a GREAT flying weekend here in the Northeast.

I am gunna try to borrow an HD camera for my next few flights.................................OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!
(I will still have the old tripod setup for doppler speeds, and hopefully post both together)

Get the dopplers warmed up !!!!!!!!!!
Get a friend to go video with you!!! C'mon Man! Are you real? or are you just fantasy?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Get a friend to go video with you!!! C'mon Man! Are you real? or are you just fantasy?
Best I could do ...........post #122

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1164182&page=9
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
Not again!!!!!!!
Switch2403's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post

The 2836 2350kv motor is just under 40 amps on the APC 6x5.5, and the plane scoots along quickly, unlimited vertical and good all around power, but it is definately <100mph.

Sweet, this motor should show up on my door step this week. My 3700kv motor is drawing to much for my towerpro 40 amp esc and I already have the prop. Already looking forward to next weekend, this is going to be fun....
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
Voltage is LiFe
novastar's Avatar
US East Coast
Joined Aug 2007
638 Posts
...and the winner is

OK, I made the (maiden) flight of my Stryker using the Turnigy 2836-3700 K/V brushless outrunner, trimmed-down Master Airscrew 5.5x4.5 (4.5x4.5) and a 5S A123 2,300 mAh pack. Let me just say this...AWESOME, no, let me repeat, AWESOME. My stupid key chain video camera can't do it justice to what I experienced.

I will see if I can get some level passes on video for doppler, but the thing climbed like a ROCKET. The 5S pack is about 13 ounces in weight and I am only turning a prop that is 4.5" in diameter, but it had essentially unlimited vertical at speed!

I am a FunJet man myself, but I was grinning from ear to ear. The cool thing about this plane is how well it provides cooling airflow to my packs, how well it glides, even with heavy packs and how good the airflow is to the prop. I love my Stryker. The Turnigy 2836-3700 K/V is easily the most powerful motor I have personally experimented with, gram for gram of any motor and at its price. I have taken that motor to 1,000 Watts in my FunJet...

Lastly, my Stryker is so much easier to hand launch than my FunJet is; I better not let my FunJet know about this:P
novastar is offline Find More Posts by novastar
Last edited by novastar; May 29, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker That can fly?!? Parkflyers 109 Sep 26, 2012 11:54 PM
Discussion Parkzone's New F-27C Stryker itspat Parkflyers 1 Nov 08, 2011 08:56 PM
Mini-Review F-27C Stryker Review That can fly?!? Parkflyers 27 Jul 29, 2010 09:25 PM
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker 3S 11.1 V Balance Plug WDP Batteries and Chargers 12 Oct 26, 2009 09:44 AM
Discussion Coming soon! F-27C Stryker RTF with lipo and brushless Solcat Electric Plane Talk 0 May 31, 2006 01:34 PM