Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Finster

Did you figure out hoe to cut the weight on your Stryker Plastic Covering???
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:59 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
That can fly?!?

The only way to get the weight down is to use thinner plastic...Called around to find the plastic I need and nobody had it except one company in china...they have a minimum purchase of $300...not sure if I want to put out that kinda cash...I thought about selling the stryker skins to get the costs down but I couldnt sell them no cheaper than $35-40 per kit (nose,top,bottom) and I would make $5...At this point I dont know what to do with it...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:34 AM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
Have you tried laminating film?
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
slowflow

Ive looked into alot of films but either they are to thin to hold a form or the size sheets sold are to small to fit the plane...I also have to stay within a certain heat range or melting point...I had to design a special oven to heat the huge size sheets that will fit the plane...most people who do vaccume forming use at the biggest 2'x2' sheets...great for small stuff but the stryker is bigger creating a whole new set of problems...the bigger the sheets the harder it is to heat evenly...the special oven I made was designed for 110 volt house current and thats really cutting it close...trying to avoid 220 volt...so that leaves me with about 1 choice of plastic and the only place that sells it is in china...and I bet it comes on a slow boat too...LOL
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
68 Posts
Opie68, your Stryker looks great. I have been flying my second Stryker coated in packing tape for almost a year now. After seeing how nice yours look I am ready to build a new one with a similar paint scheme and coated in Minwax.
antix12 is offline Find More Posts by antix12
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Aug 2002
118 Posts
just minwax or is there more to it?
trey3670 is offline Find More Posts by trey3670
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:13 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Just 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic with some light sanding in between will give you a nice glassed appearance. Based on Opie68's photo, it appears that he used more than 2 coats to get that thick gloss. Minwax does add weight (probably 1/2 oz. for every 2-3 coats), but it's well-worth it for the slick, finished appearance.

Here's a photo of my Stryker (F-27B airframe) with 1 coat of Minwax Polycrylic. Unfortunately I didn't get the angle that really exemplifies the glass, but you can see the sheen on the nose portion of the Stryker...
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster
slowflow

I had to design a special oven to heat the huge size sheets that will fit the plane...most people who do vaccume forming use at the biggest 2'x2' sheets...great for small stuff but the stryker is bigger creating a whole new set of problems...the bigger the sheets the harder it is to heat evenly
finster, does it have to be a single piece design? Can u do it in like three pieces along lower stress areas? I'd be willing to trial something on my dual motor Striker.
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Finster

What about your original skins that were I think 10ounces or somthing like that?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:16 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
missle

I made them in 3 pieces for full kit...Stryker Skins I thought it would be great cuz you wouldnt have to do any work to plane at all...just paint the inside of skins and attach them onto plane...that ez...

That can fly?!?

I made a few but after testing the weight of kit it was a disappointing 10 oz's...I tryied different designs but couldnt get it any lower...So I stopped making them till I found a thinner plastic...Once I heard the price for the thinner plastic my jaw dropped...so the project went on hold till I figure out what to do next...
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:15 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Finster

10oz isent to bad, Im upgrading my power system anyway. Here in Montana the wind can be 4-50mph, and change in the blink of an eye. I have found that a heavy plane my be slower and more cumbersome. But can penitrate the wind with ease. Also how much more sturdy it is? I bet it would help a bunch.

Speed is no longer a consern because my friend owns a hobby shop and he is selling me a kit he built that he never decided to finish (no sevos or anything, plane frame is built). $75 with a 0.15 AP Hornet Engine, whitch sells new for $75. Its a straight wing plane, alerons, and elevator. Decent sized plane. Its set-up now with motor and prop it should push 100mph.... He also said that the plane can handle a 0.25... I wouldent even want to guess how fast it would go.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:56 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
That can fly?!?

The 10 oz ones I used for testing and design ideas...cant use them...Only thing I have rite now is a bunch of nose cones...If you want one free for testing go to my web site and email me...Here where I live 90% of the time its like a tornado...Everyone is trying to make their planes lighter but I dont worry about weight...like you said...flys better in high winds when its got some weight...
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:28 AM
RR,Not VCR,or VHS!
Lawrenceville (in the middle of no where) Illinois
Joined Aug 2005
983 Posts
Is the Minwax Poly,a spray on or brush on? If it's water based,could I use my air brush? Thanks Ron
rocket-ron is offline Find More Posts by rocket-ron
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:34 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster
Rcnewb -

I cant figure out myself why it nose dives but I cut down the fins to see what would happen...the flutter and nose dive went away but the speed did too...Hmmm? dont figure...The battery still works fine...brand new TP 4s 2200 25c...took my foot and crushed the dent back out...ez fix Used 2 CF rods in bottom for strength...I have more pics of build but still in camera...
I have found thrust angle is the culprit in almost all cases.
I will set the angle and step about 20 feet back and look at it. You get a better perspective at a distance. Get it gliding, and then nail it. If it changes its attitude, and climbs or dives, then that is the culprit. You can shim your motor mount to correct this problem.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket-ron
Is the Minwax Poly,a spray on or brush on? If it's water based,could I use my air brush? Thanks Ron
It is available in both spray cans and as a liquid, and in gloss, semigloss and satin. It would need to be thinned to airbrush it and the instructions on the can say not to thin it with water....but who ever reads the instructions? It might thin with alcohol but I have never tried it. I just bush on multiple very thin coats. The gloss over the top of neon colors really makes them "pop".

You might try asking the manufacturer about air brushing at http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/ and see what they say.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher