HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,862 Posts
kurt100,

People would need to know how many cells you are running... 3S or 4S?

Comments on heat sink (if any) and its size can help.

Do you use some throttle control?

Are you after top speed or more climbing ability, or a general prop, or max flight time at cost to performance?

***Your battery is rated for 80A continuous.....Any comment on how many AMPs you want to draw from it?
(because that motor can handle a bit over 80A for short duration....and less pitch size than diameter will unload some as speed increases.....how far do you want to push your pack?)

The more of the above questions that you answer, the better the people’s recommendation can be.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Mar 30, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:30 PM
Philadelphia Burbs
Joined Nov 2008
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
kurt100,

People would need to know how many cells you are running... 3S or 4S?

Comments on heat sink (if any) and its size can help.

Do you use some throttle control?

Are you after top speed or more climbing ability, or a general prop, or max flight time at cost to performance?

***Your battery is rated for 80A continuous.....Any comment on how many AMPs you want to draw from it?
(because that motor can handle a bit over 80A for short duration....and less pitch size than diameter will unload some as speed increases.....how far do you want to push your pack?)

The more of the above questions that you answer, the better the people’s recommendation can be.

Gryphon
Thanks for answering Gryphon..
Not just looking for flat out speed.. prefer to have some fun climb as well.
The new batteries are 3s 2650 30c. I am willing to grab a couple bigger if necessary (ex 3000-5000) but prefer to stay 3s i think. Just not familiar enough with bec etc... even though i have a couple used 4s batts and and a new SmartBEC.
No separate heat sink, and the esc is rubber wrapped so presume nothing incorporated in there
kurt100 is offline Find More Posts by kurt100
Last edited by kurt100; Mar 30, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:01 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
I bought one of these medusa 28-40-1700kv motors since helidirect dropped the price to $49.95. I have a castle ice 75 amp esc. Man is this a big chunk of an esc. I also got a customRCparts mount. So now I am wondering if I can use 6x4 props if I use a 4 cell lipo with this setup? I have apc 6x4E, 6x4 sport, and 6x5.5. Someone said medusa motors kv are more than rated. At this point I like thrust for a good launch more than top speed.
That 1700 won't come close to breaking a sweat on 4S and an APC 6x4E prop. Expect 33A and 80-90mph.

A 7x4 Sport prop would get you great thrust for launch and climbing at a little over 50A. BUT, and this is a big thing, you will have to be very careful on landing to make sure the prop is not vertical. If it is, you WILL bend the motor's shaft. Run maximum braking on the ESC and look at the prop on approach.

A 7x4E prop at around 72A will be a little nicer to your motor shaft since it's much thinner than the Sport prop. It will soak up some of the force if you land with it vertical.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
bongo fury
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
That 1700 won't come close to breaking a sweat on 4S and an APC 6x4E prop. Expect 33A and 80-90mph.

A 7x4 Sport prop would get you great thrust for launch and climbing at a little over 50A. BUT, and this is a big thing, you will have to be very careful on landing to make sure the prop is not vertical. If it is, you WILL bend the motor's shaft. Run maximum braking on the ESC and look at the prop on approach.

A 7x4E prop at around 72A will be a little nicer to your motor shaft since it's much thinner than the Sport prop. It will soak up some of the force if you land with it vertical.
Ok, that sounds good, very much appreciate it. I might get a 5 cell lipo and stay with small props so I don't mangle my fingers launching.

Today I tried the smaller 28-32-2800kv medusa with apc 6x4 sport on 3S. That combo is working good but guess I should watch out with those stiff props if/when heading into the dirt.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:48 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,377 Posts
Extreme MakeOver - Stryker Edition

Here are a few pic's of my refurbished F 27B. Painted in black at the bottom and white on top and with the pattern and colours of LoudMouth Golf pants, made famous by the Norwegian Curling Team during the Winter Olympics earlier this winter.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Mar 31, 2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:

Wow! That much difference between the sport and E props? I've got a 7x9 APC Sport prop on mine now and really can't tell much difference between it and the China 7x5 I had on it. Just by looking at it, the 7x9 doesn't really look like it would push the air that well. It's really hard to tell which way it should turn. Have yet to get a radar on it. On 4s, my 2100kv motor and 40c battery are barely warm. The prop is on in the proper direction, writing facing forward.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:07 AM
bongo fury
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Here are a few pic's of my refurbished F 27B. Painted in black at the bottom and white on top and with the pattern and colours of LoudMouth Golf pants, made famous by the Norwegian Curling Team during the Winter Olympics earlier this winter.
Arcteryxxx, your stryker is cool! Norway is great! I worked (and skied) with many Norwegian people in a well known ski resort in colorado for 25 years. (sorry off topic)
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:11 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:

If you don't want to bend your motor shaft, you need some of these:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1180804042

Cheap, light weight, minimal drag, and it will save your prop and shaft... Also keeps the plane straight on landings when it starts sliding on the grass.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:22 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
If you don't want to bend your motor shaft, you need some of these:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1180804042

Cheap, light weight, minimal drag, and it will save your prop and shaft... Also keeps the plane straight on landings when it starts sliding on the grass.
If I was ever to stick a 3.2mm shaft Medusa on my Stryker again, I would definatley do this mod, or something like it. I bent 2 x 28-47-1700kv shafts using a 7x7 APC Sport prop.

Good post cjbucher
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I like that idea, too, cjbutcher.

A spinoff of your idea that comes to my mind would be for a set of homemade vertical fins that incorporates the additional skid into the bottom part of the fin. It could even be made to protrude farther down for more prop protection. The additional fin area under the plane would also allow for cutting some more off the top side of the fin.

Ender,
Don't forget the shaft on your second Medusa 28-40-1700 can still be fixed.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 01, 2010, 07:57 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,862 Posts
Hi all,

Does any one of you have personal data for Kurt100?

(See his post on bottom of last page and top of this page).

I guess I could help do a search, but I have no personal data.

Thanks,

Gryphon
Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:05 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt100 View Post
Can anyone calc me a prop recommendation for a new stryker setup?

ARC 28-48-1.5
Turnigy PLUSH 80 Amp esc
Turnigy 2650 30c
Here is what I can offer you on info, assuming your battery is 3 cells

ARC 28-48-1.5
3s5000

APC 6x4 Sport...........64 amps, 27,000+ rpm's
APC 6.5x5................75 amps (sorry no RPM's)
APC 6.5x6.5..............93 amps, 23,000+ rpm's

It looks like the 6.5x5 will MAX out that battery (or come very close to maxxing it out), I would try the APC 6x5.5 E prop first, then see if it is too fast or just right for you. If you need less speed, the 6x4 sport should ring out just fine.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:32 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,862 Posts
Thanks mopar,

Maybe I should have said: ...also the top TWO posts on this page....LOL

Very useful data....I think he should be set.

Kurt100,

With your smaller battery, which will hold a bit less voltage under load, assume slightly lower AMPs for each prop than reported with 5000 cells.

Mopar gave you a great roadmap.

When you switch props, please take a wattmeter reading {if you have access to one} with the battery pack about 5% empty ( 5% of 2650mAH = about 130 mAH down from full pack).
Of course let motor cool before doing the actual prop test, and no need to stay at full throttle any more than 3 seconds or so....quickly read any (2) out of the (3) for A, V, W while motor is running and write them down soon after...that will give you your 3rd value. A X V = W

One more prop which should be fantastic for climbing would be Master Airscrew Electric 6.5X4.0 (Judging by Mopar's numbers above and our prop list for order of increasing load).

Have fun,

Gryphon
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:28 AM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
35mm outrunner mounts

The 35mm outrunner mounts are in. I fit checked them with a Turnigy C35-36, SK35-42 and a Rimfire .15. All of them fit very well. The wires easily exit through the clearance slot in the side.

They are available on my website.

Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Last edited by customrcparts; Apr 02, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:59 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Gary,

Any news on the 28mm brackets with the notch in the cooling hole?
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707