HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2007, 06:34 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,782 Posts
Got home to bench test using the same electronics (with a charged TP2070E) and again power readings were 40/405 @ 9.73V. Decided to re-test using a !
spare Electrify 35amp ESC (with the same bat/prop ect.) of which the readings were 52/483 @ 9.08V.

Just a note that TP recommends of "3.3v" per cell for LVC. I have damaged my TP2200E by using a lvc of 3.0v per cell.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2007, 09:26 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
bobf, those voltage readings are what's actually going throught the watts meter and not the actuall bat volt. They were reading ~ 12.4V (fully charged).
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old May 30, 2007, 09:27 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Got home to bench test using the same electronics (with a charged TP2070E) and again power readings were 40/405 @ 9.73V. Decided to re-test using a !
spare Electrify 35amp ESC (with the same bat/prop ect.) of which the readings were 52/483 @ 9.08V.

Just a note that TP recommends of "3.3v" per cell for LVC. I have damaged my TP2200E by using a lvc of 3.0v per cell.
bobf -

I agree, it's better to use a "buffer zone" for LVC vs. cut-off at 3.0V. Most battery manufacturers warn against "deep discharging" below 2.7V. However, keep in mind that even at 3.5V, under load, you can potentially drop that battery into LVC, below the 3.0V mark depending on the amp draw requirements of your power system.

When I maiden planes, I generally keep the flights short (5-7 minutes) with limited WOT, then hook the battery into my balance charger to get voltages on each cell. From that point on, my goal is to fly until the battery is down to ~3.5V, give or take 0.1V. That way, I don't have to worry about power cut-offs in mid flight, and the batteries last longer.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old May 30, 2007, 10:20 AM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
Has anyone measured the actual wing area for the striker? If so, what numbers are u using for motocalc?
Eric
Old May 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
Just back from test the F27 again and let's just sum it up with by saying I've got a sprained neck from trying to keep up with her.
My final setup is Eflite 6 motor, Eflite 40amp ESC, 81MG servos, seperate BEC, and a APC 4.74x5.50 prop. The best part is that the motor and ESC were ambient temp immediately following a 5 min full trottle run. Measured readings were 28 amps producing 260 watts. Motocal calculates 21 oz of trust and a prop speed of 110mph. Here's some pics and thanks everyone for your help!
BTW, since I'm no longer racing my corvettes, my need for speed is being kept at bay with the Strikers. Now that I've got my current one up to ~ 100mph, I'm going to start on the next F27 but this time with dual motors. I was thinking two 6 series but am wondering if just using two of the stock motors would be better. Any suggestions?
Old May 30, 2007, 03:28 PM
Holy ___ there's 2 of 'em
Spokane
Joined Aug 2005
487 Posts
Hey missle- got any videos yet of your plane? I'm curious how the prop does. Do you have the 2700kv motor?
I'm beginning to think my plane isn't doing too bad. I'm running a 16/15/4 and an APC 7x5 prop. She's not extremely fast (that or I'm used to it), but she climbs out like a bottle rocket, but with a higher ceiling.
Phantom5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom5.0
Old May 30, 2007, 05:55 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
Phantom, no video camera and yes it's the 2700kv motor. Since theres so much mention of the Mega 16/15/4, I wanted to see what kind of numbers I could expect using Motocalc:
Prop 7x5 = 40amp, 8.7v, 347 watts, 36oz thrust, 65mph
Prop 5x5 = 22amp, 9.8v, 218 watts, 21oz thrust, 94mph
Have you tried using a 4 or 5" prop on yours for those days you want lateral flash vs horizontal? I think I'm going to try cutting a 7x6 prop down to a 4.75x6. That should get me into the 120 speed range.
Old May 30, 2007, 06:38 PM
Holy ___ there's 2 of 'em
Spokane
Joined Aug 2005
487 Posts
Well, I started with a 6x4. After I tried the 6x5.5, I decided I liked it a lot better- much better verticals. I only tried the 7x5 on a whim- and I really like it. The 6x5.5 is just no where near as impressive. And the 6x4 seems like it just washes the prop all the time. To me- the slight horizontal gain I was seeing was not worth the vertical that I lost. What's your ground level where you fly? We're about 1850-2100 feet- and I'm kinda thinking that's partly why I can run more prop.
Phantom5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom5.0
Old May 30, 2007, 07:11 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
I just put in an order for one of These.

Looks pretty compareable to the Eflight 6 series 2700KV.

I am going to try a 5.25x4.25 out on it. Hope to hit in the 90's.

I am going to put in a CC35 and HS81MG servos as well.

Hope to try it out next week!

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
"Megatized" Stryker Video Now Playing

I finally got around to filming and editing my Stryker video (shooting was yesterday evening) - one of my buddies did the filming, I did all the flying. Since he had never filmed anything like this before, the video is a bit rough, I'm not sure if there is anything in there that could give a decent Doppler reading. He had a hard time getting the camera to focus, but still managed to get some decent close-ups and shot some of the high-speed low altitude passes. If anyone can give me a Doppler reading on this video, I'd be very interested in finding out my exact speed, although WOT was very limited due to all of the camera issues going on.

Total flight time was ~8 minutes, I cut out some of the crap so the video is roughly 2 minutes long, 30MB, WMV format. I had to land the Stryker early because I was really fighting it toward the end of the flight, just before the landing, which is NOT shown in the video. It was by far the worst landing I've had with the Stryker, as it is a VERY easy plane to land successfully. Once I picked up my Stryker from the field, I immediately noticed that one of the servos had loosened to the point where it was ready to fall out of the wing. Therefore I had no control over one of the wings. The landing looks rougher than it really was - no damage incurred on the air frame.

You can download the video from my web server:

Full Version (6 Minutes, 50MB)

Short Version (2 minutes, 30MB)

The full video shows the rough landing - it was my best attempt at compensating for a non-functional aileron/elevon due to a loose servo (the glue just came loose).

Specs of this Stryker (battery listed in video credits is incorrect):
* Mega 16/25/4 brushless inrunner motor
* CC 35 Amp ESC
* 7x7 Graupner Speed prop
* 2200mAh 4S LiPo battery
* Berg 4-channel Rx
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:19 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
Austin Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Glad your having fun with the Styker!! That brings back alot of great memories hearing that thing fly over. My favorite thing to do was to pass from left to right in front me, point it straight up and allow itto climb about 200 ft, do a Split S then return back in front of me....WOT!!!
moter is offline Find More Posts by moter
Old May 30, 2007, 10:40 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Moter - it's a load of fun. I've posted the FULL video, including the rough landing, HERE

CORRECTION - I posted incorrect information within the video regarding the battery. I did NOT use a DualSky 3S in the Stryker - it was a 4S 2200mAh LiPo, not a 3S. Sorry for any confusion.

Video size is about 50MB, ~6 minutes (vs. the 2 minute video I first posted). Quality might not be quite as good though...
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 30, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:43 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,502 Posts
For those using motocalc, what's the wing area on the Striker? I measured today and came up with 430.88 in^2 and just wanted to make sure I'm doing this correct.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 01:07 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
Neat trick to protect motor shaft...

I added some carbon fiber rods to the bottom to act as skids and to protect the motor shaft. Although it is rare to bend a shaft, every once in a while the prop digs in on landing and after hearing stories of bent shafts, I decided to do something about it before I bent mine...

Very light and seems to have no impact on flight characteristics...

Here's a picture...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jun 02, 2007, 03:08 PM
Efland, NC
Joined May 2006
455 Posts
speaking of this I had cause to commit a huge newb horror, but was funny at the same time. I was out in the feild one day and had 2 planes with me and was up with the stryker c bird and had a good flight and then landed well and all was fine, then I wanted to fly the other plane I had with me and as the stryker was now out of sight and out of mind I loaded up the batt in a 2nd plane and began a new flight, I flew around for a while and heard something off in the background, thought it might be some cutting their grass or something so flew around a bit more and then it came to me I never shut down the stryker c bird that I landed off in the flying feild somewhere, landed the other plane and then went over to the stryker and everything was fine it had done donuts in the soccer field and cut paths in the grass, apart from that everything was fine!!
Fatts is offline Find More Posts by Fatts