HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
For those running the custom r/c mount, are you getting this nasty down angle???

I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look good.
The Ducati you saw me fly at Vintage Park doesn't have that kind of angle in it at all.. and it took ZERO trim on it's 4s/2700kv maiden or subsequent 3s flights. I don't have a side view of it on the bench but I think you can see in the attached photo that there is less angle than that.

I installed the second mount on my combat Stryker last night and it did not have that much angle on it either.

How much did you tighten the screws? The screws shouldn't be poking out the bottom at all.. See the other attached pic for the combat Stryker mount.
kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittman View Post
The Ducati you saw me fly at Vintage Park doesn't have that kind of angle in it at all.. and it took ZERO trim on it's 4s/2700kv maiden or subsequent 3s flights. I don't have a side view of it on the bench but I think you can see in the attached photo that there is less angle than that.

I installed the second mount on my combat Stryker last night and it did not have that much angle on it either.

How much did you tighten the screws? The screws shouldn't be poking out the bottom at all.. See the other attached pic for the combat Stryker mount.
I think the angle is the same as yours, the mirage is the fact that my motor is 48mm vs. yours which is 35ish...?

None of the screws are coming out the bottom, but I did only use (4) on the motor mount itself rather than 6. 2 in front 2 in back.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
might just be the pic but it does look way out , my stock mount doesnt have an angle like that ?.

dont think thats +1 1.5 degrees , no offence but that just looks completely wrong
Mine is about right there. mine looks worse because I have a longer can motor.

The screw heads coming from the bottom of the mount are adding a tad bit to it.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Doesnt that constantly push the nose up ?
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:03 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Doesnt that constantly push the nose up ?
My light builds and heavy builds are so extremely nose heavy, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I figured it might cut speed a bit. It just doesn't look right, but he has shown that his are the same. I am good with that.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:08 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Second look, I have a bit more down angle. I am going to take it apart and try it again.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Just looks completely wrong , my second stryker probably isnt anywere near as heavy as these ( 2200 3cell turnigy 2835 ) and i still use the stock mount with no real angle.
Im not saying that its wrong for a heavy build as i wouldnt know im just saying that that thrust angle is very very steep.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
I'm glad this came up. I was expecting this conversation to happen eventually. I know, it doesn’t look like the stock mount thrust angle. It's not supposed to.

On an inspection table, the stock thrust angle was 1-2.5° depending on which one of the bunch I measured. This doesn't mean that everyone else’s stock mount will measure the same. I’m sure that if everyone measured theirs it will be different.

At 0°, 1°, 2.5°, and 3° the elevons (again on some different test planes) had to compensate to maintain level flight. I opted for an angle that was better performing. That's not to say it'll be the perfect angle for every situation. It's a platform that is adjustable to accommodate the pilots specific setup and flying style.

Here’s a picture of the measurement of the angle relative to the level, so it’s relative to the upper brackets as we’ll. It’s right where I intended it to be. This can be tweaked some by squishing more foam on one end or the other.

Again, I'm glad this came up. I'll add some angle information to my website to show people what they should expect. That way if they don't like the way it looks they'll know ahead of time.
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Last edited by customrcparts; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Im glad your not taking it as a criticism it really wasnt meant as one just as an observation.
When we read so much about setting our planes up be it the stryker , combat wing or any plane really one of things we try to pay attention to is the thrust angle of the motor due to its influence on the platforms performance. It is good to see these things in "action" as we generally tend to take our photos from a multitude of angles and some of the detail is obviously hidden or skewed in the shot.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:13 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customrcparts View Post
I'm glad this came up. I was expecting this conversation to happen eventually. I know, it doesn’t look like the stock mount thrust angle.

At 0°, 1°, 2.5°, and 3° the elevons (again on some different test planes) had to compensate to maintain level flight. I opted for an angle that was better performing. That's not to say it'll be the perfect angle for every situation. It's a platform that is adjustable to accommodate the pilots specific setup and flying style.
Interesting observation about the elevons having to compensate for level flight.. When I set up the Ducati Stryker (heavy) I put the elevons dead center relative to the wing, looking at it from the edge. I figured I would have to give it some up trim once in the air, but it didn't need any trim at all. I was kind of surprised because if I did the same on a "stock" Stryker, it would need some up trim immediately. It will be interesting to see how my combat Stryker (light) will behave with the Custom mount and stock elevons.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I think the angle is the same as yours, the mirage is the fact that my motor is 48mm vs. yours which is 35ish...?

None of the screws are coming out the bottom, but I did only use (4) on the motor mount itself rather than 6. 2 in front 2 in back.
I'm running the Six Series which is a 28mm motor. I did the same with the screws since there is a inanimate carbon rod running right where those screws need to go... I'll put the rods in a different spot on my next build.
Last edited by kittman; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: humor - Simpson reference
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittman View Post
I'm running the Six Series which is a 28mm motor. I did the same with the screws since there is a carbon rod running right where those screws need to go... I'll put the rods in a different spot on my next build.
Actually, I believe that the .210 Carbon rod running through the motor mount is causing a little bit more of a downward thrust angle. If I moved it up an inch it would have been more level.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Im glad your not taking it as a criticism it really wasnt meant as one just as an observation.
When we read so much about setting our planes up be it the stryker , combat wing or any plane really one of things we try to pay attention to is the thrust angle of the motor due to its influence on the platforms performance. It is good to see these things in "action" as we generally tend to take our photos from a multitude of angles and some of the detail is obviously hidden or skewed in the shot.
I never take offense to criticism, comments, suggestions, etc! That's the way things get better. It's good to know what people think. My goal it to get people what they want. Without feedback how would I know?

Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Last edited by customrcparts; Mar 17, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Would the "best" position for keeping the thrust line as close to "perfect " as possible be to follow the seam along the wing ?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Heres how get a good idea how much off them mounts are...try this: with (vert fins on) slide a square to back of mount ring...it should be flush to the square or atleast very close...or take a long string or CF rod...hold one end on top motor and other end to (front/top) of firewall on fuse...the top of motor should be parallel to string or CF rod...basicly if you could look down the motor shaft it should be pointing slightly above the tip of nose cone...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster