HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
375 Posts
Help with STRYKER motor mount.....

Hello,

Dont mean to hijack the thread but can use some help from the experts....I am on my 4th motor mount on my stock Stryker C. Im flying along and ...bang...the mount cracks or the plastic mounting ears break away from the motor. Is there a stronger version of the stock motor mount out there? Maybe out of aluminum? If you have any advice or info, can you please post.

Thanks,
Ken
Elgin, IL
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,260 Posts
There is a custon mount available from a link in one of the posts , im pretty sure it will follow. Personally i "glassed" my mount with super glue and fibre glass and its solid as a rock ., the custom mount will probably be more reliable but i have had no problems so far even if used as a stop gap or spare.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:25 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS999 View Post
Hello,

Dont mean to hijack the thread but can use some help from the experts....I am on my 4th motor mount on my stock Stryker C. Im flying along and ...bang...the mount cracks or the plastic mounting ears break away from the motor. Is there a stronger version of the stock motor mount out there? Maybe out of aluminum? If you have any advice or info, can you please post.

Thanks,
Ken
Elgin, IL
You need to balance your prop
or
Your shaft is bent

The stock motor mount will take 1500 watts easy if your prop is balanced and your shaft and adapter isnt out of round. The screws need to be 2 finger snug (not tight) and also you need to use Loctite on all 4 screws.

Gary @ Custom RC Parts has a bulletproof mount fo rthe Stryker. It can take whatever you decide to bolt up to it

http://www.customrcparts.com/motorMo...005&bannerID=9
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
johnnyrocco123, what do you think about that 4.7 X 4.2 Prop?
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
Efflux: What's the ETA on those MEGA motors?
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:57 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
johnnyrocco123, what do you think about that 4.7 X 4.2 Prop?
It sounds nice and loud but I never saw your plane in the video. I will try it on 4s, it was the turnigy 2836 2350k, right?

Where do I find the prop? was it apc?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
For those running the custom r/c mount, are you getting this nasty down angle???

I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look good.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
what seems to be the best motor for the dollar out there right now for a 3s-4s setup to put the plane at around 100+ mph
shakaka is offline Find More Posts by shakaka
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:00 AM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
For those running the custom r/c mount, are you getting this nasty down angle???

I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look good.
Johnny,

That looks about right to me. You should see a thrust angle about 1-1.5 greater than the stock mount. That thrust angle was developed over many flights and many different test angles.

The benefit of this angle is that the flaperons are kept out of the jet stream while maintaining level flight. Lesser thrust angles required the flaperons to level the plane out.

Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:06 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customrcparts View Post
Johnny,

That looks about right to me. You should see a thrust angle about 1-1.5 greater than the stock mount. That thrust angle was developed over many flights and many different test angles.

The benefit of this angle is that the flaperons are kept out of the jet stream while maintaining level flight. Lesser thrust angles required the flaperons to level the plane out.

Gary
If you took a close look at it and it looks good to you, I'm good with that. Just not used to it. There is no angle in the stock mount.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:16 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,893 Posts
Johnny..........
any way for you to take a few different pictures of your mount from all different angles ???

Best to get a few pics with the motor viewed from the top and the side (like you did), but also include the nose in the picture so we can draw a line

In your picture, it looks like you are missing the upper 2 halves of the mount ??????
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Mar 17, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:37 AM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
93 Posts
Here's a picture of a mount on a new build I'm working on. The upper brackets are nearly level and you can see the thrust angle relative to the level. Without the level as a reference, the angle and look very different.
Hope this helps!
Gary
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Last edited by customrcparts; Mar 17, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:06 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
496 Posts
Johnny-

After hearing them custom mounts been tested 100's of times I find it hard to believe that anyone could fly with a thrust angle like that...it looks way way off...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,260 Posts
might just be the pic but it does look way out , my stock mount doesnt have an angle like that ?.

dont think thats +1 1.5 degrees , no offence but that just looks completely wrong
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Last edited by scousethief; Mar 17, 2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:57 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
+1
It does look way off!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio