HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:54 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I ran a 2835-2700 in my Stryker, and all I used were 6" props. Well, a 6x4. It ran a 6x5.5 fine, until I ran WOT for a full pack. Then the motor came down smoking and sputtering.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:31 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Just to let you know, I have been successfully flying my "light setup stryker" with the turnigy 2835 2700kv and a 6x4 prop for about 3 weeks. I didn't think I would be able to get a 6" prop on that motor without it blowing but it seems tobe fine.
Interesting. The thrust must be pretty good with that prop. How's the speed on the 6x4?

I did some doppler readings with the 5.5x4.5 APC. I got some 85 mph relatively level passes out of it. Not bad for $17. My climb is pretty good but not quite infinite but high enough that it doesn't really matter - I usually turn back at that point anyway...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:01 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I got some doppler readings off the 6x5.5 on that motor, and IIRC, it was about 98mph. I figured roughly 85-90mph true speed. To be honest, I think the 6x5.5 is too much prop, and bogs that motor down. Just judging my seat-of-the-pants feel, the 6x4 delivers the same speed with a tad more thrust.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:30 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Interesting. The thrust must be pretty good with that prop. How's the speed on the 6x4?

I did some doppler readings with the 5.5x4.5 APC. I got some 85 mph relatively level passes out of it. Not bad for $17. My climb is pretty good but not quite infinite but high enough that it doesn't really matter - I usually turn back at that point anyway...
I don't get anywhere near 85mph on mine with a 6x4, more like 60mph
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:27 AM
CJQ
Innisfail Australia
Joined Dec 2007
112 Posts
Hi Guys, I've been playing round with props and have been able to get a bit more speed out of my stryker (130Km with Eagletree). The only down side is at WOT I've got to put a fair bit of aileron in to keep it level. The fuse is showing signs of age on it and I suspected it was flex in the fuse causing the problem, I had already put base wood ailerons on it sometime ago so I figured they should be ok, so I thought putting a 5mm CF stiffener from wing tip to tip might help. This has improved it a bit but it's still not good. Could the problem be caused by the additional prop torque, can the problem be solved by angling the motor as with front engined planes?
Thanks for your help.
CJQ is offline Find More Posts by CJQ
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:34 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
It sounds like your Stryker is just plain old flexing at higher speeds, like you thought.

You could try adding some CF front to back, and then triangulating .210 CF tubing with whatever else you have installed. See picture below for examples. The lowest CF that looks bowed has proven to give wierd in-flight characteristics, so I NO LONGER bend the CF in the rear to follow the wing-tips, the rear most CF stays straight and additional tubes are added following the trailing edge angle

What servos are you using ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:27 AM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJQ View Post
Hi Guys, I've been playing round with props and have been able to get a bit more speed out of my stryker (130Km with Eagletree). The only down side is at WOT I've got to put a fair bit of aileron in to keep it level. The fuse is showing signs of age on it and I suspected it was flex in the fuse causing the problem, I had already put base wood ailerons on it sometime ago so I figured they should be ok, so I thought putting a 5mm CF stiffener from wing tip to tip might help. This has improved it a bit but it's still not good. Could the problem be caused by the additional prop torque, can the problem be solved by angling the motor as with front engined planes?
Thanks for your help.
CJQ, here is something you might try, no guarantee. Check out post #7169 on this page and #7194 two pages after. Let us know if it works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61678&page=478
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:59 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJQ View Post
Thanks for your help.
Hmm... At 130 km or 80 mph, you really shouldn't be getting flexing. Stock strykers should be able to handle 80 with no additional re-enforcement. Mine is a Stryker "A" (bought in 2005) now running a Turnigy and hits low 80's but I don't have any issue with that. The only thing I have is that it has a tendency to climb at full throttle.

You might have a warp or something uneven in the shape of your wing that gets amplified with speed. Has it always done this or has it gotten worse with age? I've seen Strykers warp with age especially if they sit in the sun.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:10 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i'd imagine your A fuse has quite a bit of flex in it. the foam was less dense back then... and they had the separate wingtips dovetailed to each side. i still have my first stryker fuse, too. it's empty of any gear. used to hold two 8cell nimh packs, two channel 1 receiver/esc and two motors. each receiver/esc connected to one servo and one motor. the motors were centered where the vertical fins would be. had to cut some elevon off for that. single vertical fin between the two motors. and can you believe, it worked! had a few flights before moving on. guess i envisioned using the fuse again at some point.
lowdive is online now Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,615 Posts
Actually mine is the one piece body. The early A version was 3 pieces and not made of Z-foam. Mine is one piece and made of Z foam but is not the B version. I guess it was a "late model A". About a year later they started making the B.

The B version has the extra vents in the plastic covers and the proprietary electronics allowed for lipo.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
though the changes were fairly small, they definitely made it a better fuse!
lowdive is online now Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
this seems a cool thread im thinking about getting the F-27C Stryker stock i have 2 planes under my belt im just wondering how easy they are to land? they seem to move so fast can you cut throttle and glide to a land?
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Landing is cake! It's easy to come in too fast though simply becuase they glide so well. I always land mine power off. Take it easy if this will be your third plane. Don't go WOT until you have the hang of it at low speed.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
what about wind how much can the F-27C Stryker take stock ? also i have a dx6i which is the best rx for this model
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Last edited by dazzzer1; Mar 10, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
I originally bought a Stryker years ago because I lived in a windy place. I have flown it in much higher winds than I would recomend, but overall, out of the several planes I have owned the Stryker is my go-to on windy days. My EDF planes are much more sensitive to wind.

The inexpensive replacement parts ($20 Fuse!), easy customization, and ability to fly in wind and in areas with iffy landing zones (like while camping) are the reasons I have kept a Stryker on hand for the past 6-7 years.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707