Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:37 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
johnnyrocco123,

The ARC 1.5 on 5S in a Stryker will be a mistake that you will both regret.

1) Think of the prop that you will use in advance.
2) Then consider the size of the prop for your projected speed or speed increase.
3) When you realize that there will not be enough prop size for the required thrust to overcome the drag of the Stryker airframe, you will realize that you’ll either lose some speed, stay at same speed, or in best “fantasy” case scenario; you’ll barely gain any speed and totally kill the Stryker’s acceleration and climbing ability.
4) Scrap the whole idea of going to 5S on that setup.....and count the Dollars that I just saved you both.

The above has been proven on MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV in a Stryker.....which had (2) advantages over your ARC 1.5. A) Lower KV meant that prop wouldn’t be as bad/small. B) It allowed me to easily go with 5S 101A to prevent prop size from getting reduced any more than it had to.

If you try 5S anyway, take a small zip lock bag with you.

For max speed consider running 4S with a modified APC E 6X5.5 cut down to your desired AMPs, or do same modification to Aeronaut 6X5.....Graupner CAM 6X6 can be modified too.

EDIT: I just saw the video....wow that was fun.
At quick glance I'm not sure I saw a C.F. in rear going left to right to support the wings from snapping(folding) down the center of fuse....I like to call that C.F. the "back bone". I will go play that fun video again to see.

Your friend,

Gryphon
Those points are why I haven't moved to 5S on a stryker. I figured, if I have to prop down there is no point on this airframe.

I put cf across the rear under the motor mount but he didn't. It was amazing, usually people ask for opinions or setups, they might get around to it, might go with this motor or that esc.

This dude went shopping, put it together and is now flying an awesome setup.

BTW, I have been considering a 6x5 on 4S but I think I might blow the ARC.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:54 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,818 Posts
johnnyrocco123

From what I have heard before; I believe you are totally on the money regarding 4S and 6X5.

I'm told 6X4 Sport on 4S is really pushing the ARC 1.5 too far and the only thing that saves it is the unloading of the AMPs due to speed.

That's why I was wondering if a 6X5 is modified (reduced size) that it might ...just might help a little....I'm not 100% sure.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:01 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Well, I damaged one of my 4S Zippy 2650 30C Lipos (Big Dent on the Side ) and ordered a 4s Turnigy 2650 40C Lipo to replace it.

So take 5-7 days to process the order...and another 7 days to get here...by ,my calculations the 45C Lipos should be arriving at HC in about 9 days
Ender,
Thanks for taking one for the team!
We owe you one.

My poor 35C Turnigy packs have really taken a beating with the amps I've been asking of them the last dozen flights or so. They've hit 3V/cell during a couple of speed runs .
The tree I hit on a landing approach that ejected the packs and gave them a banana shape probably didn't help, either.

Let's hope they get those 45C's in soon!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:12 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
murnunoc,

My damage was not even from a flight! I must have really screwed up setting them in my ammo can somehow, kinda mysterious really.

I am currently running a 60 amp (Static) setup, and am looking forward to doing some static test comparisons between my 30C and 40C lipo.

It will be nice to see if the 40C holds its voltage better, though I am not sure if it will be observable while only pulling 60 amps.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:32 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
murnunoc,

My damage was not even from a flight! I must have really screwed up setting them in my ammo can somehow, kinda mysterious really.

I am currently running a 60 amp (Static) setup, and am looking forward to doing some static test comparisons between my 30C and 40C lipo.

It will be nice to see if the 40C holds its voltage better, though I am not sure if it will be observable while only pulling 60 amps.
I have seen on the 45c batts that they get stronger as you use them.

Proper break in will go a long way to helping those 40c batts hold their mudd under load.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:01 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
The tree I hit on a landing approach that ejected the packs and gave them a banana shape probably didn't help, either....!
The proper form of this is, "The tree that rudely got in the way while I was..."
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Mar 08, 2010, 04:24 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,549 Posts
So you guys fly 150 mph Strykers near trees!?? No wonder you go through so many Strykers...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:44 PM
Arizona & California
Joined Sep 2009
15 Posts
I know this is old, but you GOTTA read this guys page.

The guy bought an F27 RTF kit, and tried to fly it right out of the box.
Seems his ability to figure out how to get it ready to fly was about as
good as his grammar and spelling. Says he is experienced, but at what?

http://www.barend.org/stryker%20f27%...roduct_bad.htm

I had to laugh, but also felt sorry for him.
JRBeaman is offline Find More Posts by JRBeaman
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:23 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
oh how i wish i could reach through the screen and slap him! thank goodness he's not using lipos. then again, if he'd stop nosing the plane into the ground he probably wouldn't have the battery shifting to the front as much.

http://www.barend.org/stryker%20f27%...281%29.jpg.jpg

if the nose wasn't taped on so well, it would have probably deflected most of the impact force.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Wherever hes from he should find some uhu power , great glue for repairs to this foam
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:11 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Well I've been having tons of fun with my Stryker, but there's something I've been thinking about. What's the best way to slow the Stryker down, and maybe make it a bit quieter?

I was thinking prop size might be the easiest way, so I was going to try going from the 6x4 maybe to a 7x3.5? Maybe bigger? I'm avoiding changing the motor out since I'd like to be able to simply switch the prop back out for when I want to fly fast.

The reason being several of us fly at a city park near my house, and there are some noise concerns there. (Couple houses nearby, joggers, etc.) We haven't been harassed yet, and I'd like to keep it that way. Besides, I find myself keeping the Stryker at 1/2 throttle most of the time anyways, especially there.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
emax 2812 7x6 prop 1500mah 3 cell batts , flies slow and is quiet i can harrier easily yet still more than enough power to climb quickly and throw it about. I normally fly just under half throttle with dual rates at 60%.
I have another on the way that will take my 2835 3900kv turnigy and 2200mahs that should satisfy my need for speed , until then the emax will suffice lol

Emaxx CF 2812 powered PKZ Stryker (4 min 38 sec)

not my vid but it shows the 2812 in a stryker
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Last edited by scousethief; Mar 09, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:41 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
larger prop should quiet it down. remove some foam in front of the prop, too. or do what i do and fly high!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:02 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,549 Posts
Some props are definitely louder than others. I used to have an Ammo 24-33-3500 kv in my Stryker with a 4.5x4.1 prop (performed surprisingly well). It was not that loud. At full throttle it had some scream to it but at half throttle it was pretty quiet.

Now I have a Turnigy 2835-2700 with a 5.5x4.5 prop. That one is a bit noisier. When I do full throttle runs it's quite a bit louder than the ammo was even though the Ammo ran much higher rpms...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:15 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Some props are definitely louder than others. I used to have an Ammo 24-33-3500 kv in my Stryker with a 4.5x4.1 prop (performed surprisingly well). It was not that loud. At full throttle it had some scream to it but at half throttle it was pretty quiet.

Now I have a Turnigy 2835-2700 with a 5.5x4.5 prop. That one is a bit noisier. When I do full throttle runs it's quite a bit louder than the ammo was even though the Ammo ran much higher rpms...
Just to let you know, I have been successfully flying my "light setup stryker" with the turnigy 2835 2700kv and a 6x4 prop for about 3 weeks. I didn't think I would be able to get a 6" prop on that motor without it blowing but it seems tobe fine.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123