SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2007, 01:18 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Stryker Down!!

Me and the flying buddy were at a field. I had the stryker doing some lazy back and forths at a pretty good altitude, and then it happened. It took an uncommanded roll to the left as I was flying it from my left to right, full right stick would not bring it back to level. Throttled it to off to slow it down and she just kept rolling left, then it pitched over and spiraled in from around 400 feet. By this time it was over the neighborhood and I could only watch it head straight down in a roll.

I called out to my buddy that I have little or no control. Hands off the sticks at this point. It just kept rolling. We went looking for it, and all the while I am thinking the worse. Not for the Stryker, but what I may have hit when it went in. We couldn't follow its path for the last 30 to 40 feet when it went behind some trees. So we did the walk of doom to go look for it. Went two blocks away and saw a crowd standing around. Well my first thoughts was that I was going to be hung, drawn and quartered by an angry mob due to hitting someone or something like a window, car, etc. God help me if I would have hit someone.

Well when they saw me and the buddy walk into the culde sac, they were friendly and sad for me. It hit smack dab in the middle of the culde sac, hitting nothing but black top. THANK GOD!!!!.

One of the guys saw that I was shaking, since I really had no ideal what may have happened when she hit. So he saw that I was shaking slightly, and went into his house and brought me back a beer. We stood around and talked a little. Man I dodged a serious bullet there. They were all really nice.

Post crash analysis, and discussion leads us to think that either I was shot down from another park flyer in one of the neighborhoods, or that I had a stripped tooth in one of the S75 servo's since it started to roll and could not command it out of the roll. After collecting the pieces, one servo is fine, the other has a stripped gear. The servo may have failed in the air and locked one of the elevons.

So the airframe, the motor mount, one servo, and the common sense 2100mAh lipo is toast. The pushrods, the brushless motor, one servo, the front landing skid and the Berg 4 receiver were fine. I salvaged the carbon fiber rods to reutilize them in a new build I'll start this weekend. Well at least I have 9 other planes to fly, including the maiden of the Hyperion Cap 232 25e that will happen this weekend.

Sucks when you loose a plane. Its been many years since I've had a catastrophic crash. The last one was a Gentle Lady that after at least 100 hi start launches, the wings folded up after I le it go and for the majority of the hi start lauch was pulling a wingless fuselage. It was a funny site.;
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 07:18 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I don't think esc ever get tired. Motors can if they are overheated. It is more often that the battery gets weaker.
Well I dont think its the motor because with the Blade CP heat sink I installed it dosent even get warm after a flight. And the Battery is new, so what gives?
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old May 24, 2007, 07:20 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Havoc, should of bought a DX6. But hey serously sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happin but my dad was flying.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:15 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
Havoc, should of bought a DX6. But hey serously sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happin but my dad was flying.
I've been thinking of a cheap DX-6 just for local park and neighborhood flying, but I will stick to good ol 72mhz on Channel 56 for the majority of my flying at controlled sites.

Well we have pretty much come to the conclusion that I must have had a stripped servo that locked an aileron in an up position. It was just after a dive of several hundred feet followed by a sharp pullout. Thats when the plane started to roll on its own and went into the spiral of death.

So tomorrow I'm getting a new stryker body kit and then going to go with some stronger servos with either karb or metal gears.

Thanks for the kind words.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old May 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Im going with Skonk on this one, once the weight is down I would gladly buy one. Now I can do the paint job I wanted to do all along. I went out and flew for the first time in 2 months. Got 13mins of flight time. I decided Im going to put the money down and load up my stryker with the biggest motor I can get while running it off a 3 or 4 cell pack. My neighbor just bought his 3rd one and he is beating me in speed by far. My motor and ESC are getting tired. Its not the battery I just got this one. Any ideas?
I find the motor has more current and less RPM, acts like wear.
Then I oil the bearings.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old May 24, 2007, 05:54 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
I find the motor has more current and less RPM, acts like wear.
Then I oil the bearings.
Oil or graphite? If oil what type?
Old May 24, 2007, 05:57 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
I've been thinking of a cheap DX-6 just for local park and neighborhood flying, but I will stick to good ol 72mhz on Channel 56 for the majority of my flying at controlled sites.

\
Thanks for the kind words.
Is it the range that bothers you with the DX6? I thought it would for me but at 1/2 a mile away it isent very easy to see lol.

P.S. Skonk would WD-40 due justic for the bearings?
Old May 24, 2007, 06:59 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
Quote:

P.S. Skonk would WD-40 due justic for the bearings?
No, no, no! WD-40 is not a lubricating oil and will destroy your bearings. I have used a "Turbine Oil" from Ace Hardware which is excellent.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old May 24, 2007, 10:30 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Ok, WD-40 is out of the picture. haha
Old May 25, 2007, 02:21 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Oil or graphite? If oil what type?
Lately thin aerosol silicon lubricant.Never WD 40, which can cut rust, then induce more.
(Water Displacement formula number 40, or WD-40)
I probably put more in than I should. I pull the shaft and backwash the bearing from the inside out, which cleans and lubricates.
I am sure that is WRONG by the book, but I am yet to regret it.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:23 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
No, no, no! WD-40 is not a lubricating oil and will destroy your bearings. I have used a "Turbine Oil" from Ace Hardware which is excellent.
Turbine oil!...!
Oil of esther?
Hey, I am always looking for something better. Can you eleborate?
I have debated oil of esther, but never used it in an open system like this.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:31 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
I notice when my plane runs slow a couple drops of oil does the trick...I just use 3-in-1 oil and it works fine for me...Today was a totally calm day and it was just before dark so I thought id go out flying...Im flying around and see that I have a minute left before it was gonna cut off so I took it up real high...it was up perty high but still visible and then the battery cut off...to my amazment it didnt come down...I was flying up there for about 10-15 minutes with no motor and could have stayed longer but I was worried the battery would go dead and id lose control...Probably never happen again but next time Im out flying (with full charge) Im gonna look for them thermals/updrafts and see how long I can keep it up there...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old May 26, 2007, 03:26 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
dx6 "parkflyer" range?

Quote:
Is it the range that bothers you with the DX6? I thought it would for me but at 1/2 a mile away it isent very easy to see lol.
So I've been looking into 2.4 GHz options to use with my stock Stryker C and subsequent models, and I'm baffled by their shady definition that the dx6 is for "park-flyer" ranges while the dx7 is for "full-range". What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Has anyone flying a Stryker with a dx6 ever had problems with limited range? Isn't 1/2 a mile the limit for most FM radios anyway?

I do tend to take my Stryker to a panoramic slope and really let it get out there and I don't have an intuitive idea of how far out it is, but I doubt it's over 1/2 mile...
rchmc is offline Find More Posts by rchmc
Last edited by rchmc; May 26, 2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchmc
So I've been looking into 2.4 GHz options to use with my stock Stryker C and subsequent models, and I'm baffled by their shady definition that the dx6 is for "park-flyer" ranges while the dx7 is for "full-range". What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Has anyone flying a Stryker with a dx6 ever had problems with limited range? Isn't 1/2 a mile the limit for most FM radios anyway?

I do tend to take my Stryker to a panoramic slope and really let it get out there and I don't have an intuitive idea of how far out it is, but I doubt it's over 1/2 mile...
Well Im 16 and the doctor says I have almost perict vison. 15/15. I can get my plane up so high I can barrely see it. So no, for me at least range is not a problem. Anyway the possibiblites for tuneing are endless.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Maidened the Stryker (finally)

Finally had some time off for this holiday weekend, and (for once) the weather cooperated. I like to maiden new planes in dead calm weather so that I can easily trim the plane during flight. There were NO winds at all today in my flight area, not even the slightest breeze. I posted some photos/specs of my F-27 Stryker a few pages back in this thread, but I'll reiterate the specs anyway...

Power:
* Mega 16/25/4 long can motor
* CC 35A ESC
* HS-65HB servos
* 4S 2200mAh LiPo
* 7x7 Graupner speed prop

Airframe:
F-27B - all stock airframe parts used

I'll start off by stating that the Stryker launches with ease. Quick comparison - every time I loft my FunJet into the air, I get nervous for a few seconds because the thing has a tendency to torque roll immediately. The Stryker goes into the air very smoothly, no noticeable torque roll or wobble from a typical hand launch. With that Mega 16/25/4 and a 4S LiPo, the F-27 Stryker screams across the sky at ballistic speeds. The Mega 16/25/4 provides ~50 oz. of thrust when equipped with a 7x7 Graupner speed, propelling the 27 oz. airframe through the sky at incredible speeds.

I had to add several clicks of down trim because the Stryker (thanks to its delta wing characteristics) definitely had a tendency to nose-up when I punched the throttle. The best way to trim the Stryker is to compromise - you don't want too much down trim, because you'll nose down during docile flight. I am considering mixing throttle with a little down elevator, but I'm fine with handling it manually for now. After a few clicks of down trim, it was flying nice and level, perfect hands-off gliding as well.

I'll post some video some time in the next week. I am interested in getting a Doppler reading - on some of the low-altitude passes I did today, I would estimate the Stryker traveling at ~80-90mph, but want to confirm that. The 4S 2200mAh LiPo still had juice after more than 12 minutes of high-throttle flight, although I did limit WOT to short 5-10 second bursts.

Bottom line - the Stryker is incredibly easy to fly, and I believe the Mega 16/25/4 is a good motor, especially if you're looking for power. I could certainly tell that the Stryker wasn't intended to be pushed this far (due to its nosing-up tendencies), but it's a load of fun and impressive to watch at high speeds.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM.