HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:19 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloneil View Post
what size prop adapter is needed for that microdan motor?
It's the one that came with the motor. Don't know the shaft size offhand.

I'll bet the 2212 will be a fairly easy mount. If the x-mount holes don't line up, you can use some electronic circuit board material that you can buy at Radio Shack. It stiff, light and easy to cut and drill and is great for motor mounting. I used it on mine to stiffen up the stock mount.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I've got 2 of the 2212-6 motors, 1 on an Easystar and 1 is now a spare. Pulls 27-28a on an APC 6x4e, and anywhere between 19-22a using props around the 5x5 mark (i.e 5.25x4.75, 5.5x4.3 etc) using a 3s 1800 20-30c lipo. Used the other on a TT Velocity (Projeti copy). Stange but I think it seems better on the EZ, shoots it up pretty quick. Reasonabaly quick on the Velocity, but limited vertical.

Big shout for the Turnigy 2836 outrunner again, BEST motor for the $.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:04 PM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Outrunner Motor Mount

I had a few rapid prototypes (digital material) made of the outrunner mount. The Turnigy 3536C fits very nice. The wires have plenty of room to exit the housing too.

If anyone is interested in these mounts PM me so I can get an idea if I should get some machined.
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:22 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
I am researching the build of a stryker with twin motors.
I need a range of reverse pitch props (pusher); so far I have found some on APC's website
5.5 x 4.5 EP
6 X 4 EP
7 X 6 P
7 X 5 EP

Would appreciate if anyone knows were to get custom props....or other brands.
I want to do some testing with 5.5" to 7" diameter props of various pitches.
Stryker Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stryker Flyer
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Here's a 7x4 pusher

You can also hack down that 7x5 APC into a 6.5x5 or 6x5 and the 7x6 into a 6.5x6. I've been doing a ton of prop chopping, and could make you a few good ones if you like.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Here's a 7x4 pusher

You can also hack down that 7x5 APC into a 6.5x5 or 6x5 and the 7x6 into a 6.5x6. I've been doing a ton of prop chopping, and could make you a few good ones if you like.
Good so now I have a longer list for Reverse Pitch Props (pusher):
5.5 x 4.5 EP
6 X 4 EP
6 x 5 EP* (*hacked out of 7 x 5EP)
7 x 4 P 7x4 pusher
6.5 x 6 P* (*hacked out of 7 x 6P)
6.5 x5 EP* (*hacked out of 7 x 5EP)
7 X 6 P
7 X 5 EP

I am placing an APC order soon to get this list on hand. I could sure send you them since your good at chopping. Need to get balanced and get testing going incase there is troubles finding the right one.
Last edited by Stryker Flyer; Feb 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added prop
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
So on the subject of twin performance, I guess when figuring out what you get from a prop, you'll have double the thrust while the pitch speed stays the same? Or does the pitch speed and thrust both double with a twin?

If only thrust is doubled, I'd think that would mean you could run very over-square props and still have enough thrust to overcome the airframe drag as speed increases.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Stryker Flyer,

Here's how props come out when I cut them down. All three are 7" APC Sport props.

Chopped props have a wider chord, especially at the tips, so anticipate higher power consumption than a factory prop of the same dimensions would have .

Your 6" props will look similar to the 6.2x7, and the 6.5" will look like the 6.6x7.
I wouldn't hack more than an inch off the diameter.

Once you get the props, PM me and we'll meet up or you can mail them to me.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
So on the subject of twin performance, I guess when figuring out what you get from a prop, you'll have double the thrust while the pitch speed stays the same? Or does the pitch speed and thrust both double with a twin?

If only thrust is doubled, I'd think that would mean you could run very over-square props and still have enough thrust to overcome the airframe drag as speed increases.

Thoughts?
Only thrust is doubled. Pitch speed for a motor is the same regardless of now many motors you're running.

-But what it does do is allow you to do is run smaller deep pitch props for insane pitch speeds while maintaining enough thrust to keep the plane accelerating.

I could be wrong though, but I want to say with the new brushless motors, experimentation has shown it's faster (and uses less watts, creates less drag) to run a single large motor than twin motors? Lots of people used to use duel motors back in the days of brushed motors, but the need isn't really there anymore. Thoughts?
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Last edited by ODUsurfer; Feb 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Stryker Flyer,

Here's how props come out when I cut them down. All three are 7" APC Sport props.

Chopped props have a wider chord, especially at the tips, so anticipate higher power consumption than a factory prop of the same dimensions would have .

Your 6" props will look similar to the 6.2x7, and the 6.5" will look like the 6.6x7.
I wouldn't hack more than an inch off the diameter.

Once you get the props, PM me and we'll meet up or you can mail them to me.
Props in the pic look very good. Ill let you know once I get them.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Here is something else you can do with your strykers guys.
I would love to see what it looks like from the plane going over a 140mph.
Aaron Shell has been doing this for awhile, now and I may go out with him to see if he can keep me in the camera for more than a min!

FPV Stryker Compilation- with air to air footage! (9 min 45 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:15 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
I could be wrong though, but I want to say with the new brushless motors, experimentation has shown it's faster (and uses less watts, creates less drag) to run a single large motor than twin motors? Lots of people used to use duel motors back in the days of brushed motors, but the need isn't really there anymore. Thoughts?
But a twin sounds SOOOO COOL!

I think you're pretty on track with that statement. I'd love to build a twin for the cool factor, and the sense of accomplishment of a successful complex project like that.

One advantage that the counter-rotating twin will give is the lack of torque roll at high power. I'd love to have that, as my launching has started to incorporate a brief, very stressful inverted phase before it builds enough speed for the elevons to become effective.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:07 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
But a twin sounds SOOOO COOL!

I think you're pretty on track with that statement. I'd love to build a twin for the cool factor, and the sense of accomplishment of a successful complex project like that.

One advantage that the counter-rotating twin will give is the lack of torque roll at high power. I'd love to have that, as my launching has started to incorporate a brief, very stressful inverted phase before it builds enough speed for the elevons to become effective.
The sound on the twins I heard on You tube were awesome on strykers. There are videos of strykers using motor differential to to do flat spins....

"ScreamZ" will probably be built like the two similar stryker I have built except with more carbon fiber and some different types of carbon fiber.
  • "Stryker 4" was reinforced with carbon fiber rods. The RTF weight with a 4S 5000mah of that plane is 3.50 lbs. Mega 16-35-1.5SC
  • "Stryker 5" was reinforced with carbon fiber rods. The RTF weight with a 5S 5000mah of that plane is 3.75 lbs. Mega 16-35-2C
I am expecting the twin to weight RTF 4.5 lbs to 5.5 lbs, the lipo going into it is yet to be found.
Planning for light RTF weight w/ two better motors. Possibly in favor when compared to above two Strykers thrust per pound ratio.
I am betting it (w/ 6S*****&*) will fly as fast as the above two planes. I do also expect torque roll decreased with twins once there tuned in, also fast speed and vertical acceleration. If it flys straighter at WOT I think I can get better speed runs.
Last edited by Stryker Flyer; Feb 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: motor
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:17 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
SF,
I like how you're thinking...!

Hand launch?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:31 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
SF,
I like how you're thinking...!

Hand launch?
Hand launch....hhah Sure i'd take one-- u'd better get ure best pair of gloves and helmet

I am working on my bungee launcher somemore tomorrow. My 2.5 lbs. stryker barely made it off the launcher in the first two flights. So i am modifing. Once satisfied then I'll try my 3.5lbs. stryker.
On twin I am thinking medium to hard brake setting plus both props turned horizontal on takeoff to clear PVC rails....
Last edited by Stryker Flyer; Feb 21, 2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: tomorrow