SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
When I smoked an ESC with internal UBEC, I had control for about five seconds afterward. Almost enough time to land.

It all depends on where the burning goes after the motor side smokes. You may get lucky using internal BEC, but it's not something to count on.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
Wouldnt you be better off in that case using a small mah lipo into the batt socket of the rx ? the smaller the better obviously because of weight ? that way if the esc burns up at least you would have control over the servos to bring here home ? ( i am of course assuming that the B on my rx's means battery lol and that its an extra safety supply incase the esc does go down)
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Scousethief,
Yes, that is the safest way to ensure control after a main battery, ESC, or Motor failure. It gets the receiver and servo power completely removed from the propulsion power system.
It can either be done with a 4 or 5 cell NiMh battery, or a 2-3 cell small LiPo with a BEC wired inline. You must run the BEC with any Lipo since the full charged voltage of even the 2S pack is over what most servos can handle.

The separate battery is not for every application, as it does add extra weight. But for setups that you value highly, or for planes that can stand the extra weight of another battery, it is often worth it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
Of course if your ESC burns up it could still shoot you down if it melts solder in such a way to short out the signal wire from your ESC to the receiver... Although rare but really anything can happen when electronics burn up...

Basically nothing is really truly bullet proof...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:51 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I've used 1 of thes before http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...anCode=5509886 or there's this at 6v http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...anCode=5509887 , with a small 2s lipo like this http://www.giantcod.co.uk/rcmodelpar...-p-403788.html , works great. Probabaly 1/2 the weight of a 4.8v ni-mh and the Rx and sevo's hardly take any juice from it either. I'm usually ok getting it in tho as I don't max out the battery compartment, and usually need to add nose weight too.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
murdnunoc...when you fried your esc, was it on one of your powerful setups pulling lots of amps (to me)? If so, could it be that esc was so much hotter than say a 30 or 40 amp esc would get before that fried? I've fried a few esc's but always had control to land, but they were 30 and 40's. Or have I just been lucky?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,913 Posts
Just to let you guys know. I will be placing an order with Mega tomorrow.
If anyone still needs one let me know.
Since they are built to order, any of thier offered confugurations are available. Delivery to the USA is 30-40 days. Itn'l orders, 7-10 days additional.

Thanks, Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:06 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,875 Posts
efflux RC,

Hi Gary, 2 more friends are interested in MEGA motors.

Check your PM tomorrow before you get ready to place the order in case they have contacted you.

Later,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Got my 16/25/3c on order.

Gary is a really helpful guy!
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolavoodoo View Post
Thanks guys....on that note are you going down on prop size with stock motor and 4S or will 6x4 work?

Jerry
Stock 6x4 is fine, though I prefer the APC 6x4E. I noticed an improvement in both thrust and speed when I put the APC on. Very good performance for $2.19
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:55 PM
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
Stock 6x4 is fine, though I prefer the APC 6x4E. I noticed an improvement in both thrust and speed when I put the APC on. Very good performance for $2.19
Rodger that good buddy! Getting new airframe for modifications!
Ebolavoodoo is offline Find More Posts by Ebolavoodoo
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:54 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
murdnunoc...when you fried your esc, was it on one of your powerful setups pulling lots of amps (to me)? If so, could it be that esc was so much hotter than say a 30 or 40 amp esc would get before that fried? I've fried a few esc's but always had control to land, but they were 30 and 40's. Or have I just been lucky?
It was on a 50A ESC that I pulled 81A on accidentally.

That's a good point that a bigger ESC getting toasted could produce more BEC-burning heat than a smaller one. I still wouldn't trust it on something I put a lot of work into, unless I were being very conservative with the power system and staying well within the specified ratings for all components.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:12 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Agreed, better/more expensive planes deserve a seperate rx battery, just gives more piece of mind IMO.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:25 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
If anyone is thinking of using a lipo & regulator, this is handy too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Li-Po-Battery-...item3ef6009ddc . Wouldn't swear it's THAT acurate (never checked against my Imax) but they are handy when at the field.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
Theyre ok , give the same reading as my multimeter
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief