HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2007, 08:50 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
The F-27B "airframe-only" kit is a good option for a first Stryker build. It comes with all the parts you need, except for the electronics, so you can really power things up to your liking. Horizon Hobby sells the F-27B kit here for $59. Comes pre-painted with all the pieces (rudders, etc.), and can be assembled in a few minutes.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 03:30 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Got my Stryker III up, and disaster. The aluminum gws stick mount snapped off, and the motor fell off onto its wires! Before I got the motor stopped, it had its way with the back of the plane. I glided in for a perfect 3 pointer, but it chewed the back off the plane. However I cut the back off Stryker II's fuselage, and you cannot tell the difference now. I guess thats why the old carcasses get thrown into storage instead of the trash!
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old May 07, 2007, 06:13 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
With Great thrust comes Great Ridgitity requirments.

I can't throw my old stuff away either.

Hope ya get'er up and going again quick... or did ya already?

Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old May 08, 2007, 08:54 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mishap, Skonk. If it's any consolation, an APC prop chewed up the front of one of my planes before the maiden (not the Stryker though, this was an earlier plane I built last year).

I had neglected to reverse the throttle channel on my Futaba Tx, so when I fired up the motor for the first time (I had not finished screwing in and bonding the motor to the stick mount, just wanted to make sure things powered on and worked), I was at WOT (unknowingly at the time) and the prop thrashed up the front of my plane, then the motor took off across the room, bullet connectors completely disconnected from the ESC. I had to cut away entire sections from the nose, and tried to match the original as closely as possibly through cutting away at spare foam.

Did the actual stick snap or did the screws simply come loose from the aluminum mount?
Old May 08, 2007, 02:23 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
Sorry to hear about the mishap, Skonk. If it's any consolation, an APC prop chewed up the front of one of my planes before the maiden (not the Stryker though, this was an earlier plane I built last year).

I had neglected to reverse the throttle channel on my Futaba Tx, so when I fired up the motor for the first time (I had not finished screwing in and bonding the motor to the stick mount, just wanted to make sure things powered on and worked), I was at WOT (unknowingly at the time) and the prop thrashed up the front of my plane, then the motor took off across the room, bullet connectors completely disconnected from the ESC. I had to cut away entire sections from the nose, and tried to match the original as closely as possibly through cutting away at spare foam.

Did the actual stick snap or did the screws simply come loose from the aluminum mount?
Worse than that. The Lmount GWS bracket that is aluminum broke in two at the 90 degree bend.
Still have to replace the rudder (I have one centerline stabilizer with balsa rudder), but after I finish the lighting.
Old May 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Ouch, that sounds like a very hard crash. Interesting that you went with balsa rudders, probably saves a bit of weight and adds some rigidness to the Stryker.

Hardest crash I took broke a fairly thick c/f spar running through the length of an airframe. If the c/f spar hadn't been there, that plane would've been completely annihilated!
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 10, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 11, 2007, 03:24 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
Ouch, that sounds like a very hard crash. Interesting that you went with balsa rudders, probably saves a bit of weight and adds some rigidness to the Stryker.

Hardest crash I took broke a fairly thick c/f spar running through the length of an airframe. If the c/f spar hadn't been there, that plane would've been completely annihilated!
Actually I flew it in from near 1000 feet for a perfect three point landing.
The actual rudder is balsa Trailing edge stock. The Stabilizer (1) is two layer blucor with carbon rods protruding into an oak stick mount, and is centerline mounted. The motor is stick mounted, motor on the top. nearly ready to fly with a different mount now
Old May 13, 2007, 12:37 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Stryker Skins

Ive been working on a new project to bullet proof the stryker. All the other methods were getting lame so I decided to try something different. Basicly its a plastic shell thats molded to the plane. I got the idea one day when I bought something from the store and couldnt get into it cuz of the thin plastic molded around it. It was simply the most durable stuff I ever seen. I thought...why not put this stuff on a stryker. I decided to give it a try. At first I was really depressed how the first few came out but after learning the little tricks from trial and error they got better and ez'er to make. Still in testing phase but this is what I have so far. "Stryker Skins"
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old May 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Thats the neatest thing I have ever seen!
Can you vaccuum form a lighter material? going to 2 or three thousanths thick should lose the weight, and make a FINE plane. Red Five does this with ALFA F-86 noses and sells them.
Old May 14, 2007, 04:17 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
I could go thinner but there is a limit to how thin you can go...stretching plastic over different shaped molds was the tricky part being a tall mold will make the plastic thinner and a flat mold will make the plastic thicker...theres really a science to making these things but once you get around all the errors its not that bad

Old May 14, 2007, 05:49 PM
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Aug 2002
118 Posts
ill take two!
trey3670 is offline Find More Posts by trey3670
Old May 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster
I could go thinner but there is a limit to how thin you can go...stretching plastic over different shaped molds was the tricky part being a tall mold will make the plastic thinner and a flat mold will make the plastic thicker...theres really a science to making these things but once you get around all the errors its not that bad

When the weight comes down a little, can you let me know the cost for one?
Old May 16, 2007, 01:50 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
When the weight comes down a little, can you let me know the cost for one?
You would think plastic was cheap being everything is made of plastic these days...but its expensive...it does have alot of advantages but the stryker skins would cost more than a new fuse...I'll post any updates on my Stryker Skins page
Old May 23, 2007, 09:53 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Im going with Skonk on this one, once the weight is down I would gladly buy one. Now I can do the paint job I wanted to do all along. I went out and flew for the first time in 2 months. Got 13mins of flight time. I decided Im going to put the money down and load up my stryker with the biggest motor I can get while running it off a 3 or 4 cell pack. My neighbor just bought his 3rd one and he is beating me in speed by far. My motor and ESC are getting tired. Its not the battery I just got this one. Any ideas?
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old May 23, 2007, 10:45 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,678 Posts
I don't think esc ever get tired. Motors can if they are overheated. It is more often that the battery gets weaker.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf