SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:42 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try these ideas tonight.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:57 AM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Trancer,
Spektrum (DX6i) needs to be programmed for Elevon or Delta (page 43 in your DX6i manual). One servo goes into Aileron (left, I think), one goes into Elevator (right, I think), channel 2 and 3 get reversed.
Thanks I have that sorted now.

I am about to glue in the servos but before I do what is the recommendation as to where the control rod should go into the servo? I want to have some decent travel but nothing too wild. I currently have the control rod linked in at about the middle of the control arm on the servo, should I move it down further?

Epoxy ok to glue them servos in?
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer
Last edited by Trancer; Feb 09, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
I run my rods on the outtermost holes, but that's to get maximum travel (I also attach as close to the elevon as possible).

For gluing them in I used hot glue because it isn't as permanent. A bit of glue on one side and tape on the other and they should stay still but still be removable when this airframe needs replaced.
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:14 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
With the DX6i, there's a problem with the Elevon mode, in such that you get reduced travel on the servo's. Ther'e a fix where you use a couple of mixes instead of using elevon mode, but if you forget to activate them and launch, you're in trouble. I find the best way is servo arms as long as poss, use outer hole, and use the lowest hole on the control horn. I don't think you'll get full travel, i.e. recommended deflection, but this helps to give a bit more.

More info.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:58 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
Thanks I have that sorted now.

I am about to glue in the servos but before I do what is the recommendation as to where the control rod should go into the servo? I want to have some decent travel but nothing too wild. I currently have the control rod linked in at about the middle of the control arm on the servo, should I move it down further?

Epoxy ok to glue them servos in?
Trancer,
May I ask you for your setup ?
I know you referenced a Turnigy 2836, but what kv, what ESC, and what battery ?

I think it would make a difference knowing your setup, What servos and arms, what controll horns, how heavy it is and where she CG's before reccomending servo arms and hole heights. If you are nose heavy, you will need more travel. If you are on the CG, alot of travel will make for a Stryker on crack.................usually gets back to the ground in a loud crash, and we do NOT want that. DX6i can run Dual Rates, so there is more mix to stir in your pot.
Up to you, but you can PM me if you want more details, or stay on-line..................allways here to help.

I too like the hot glue way to secure servos, easy and clean. VERY strong !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i just realized that i've never glued my servos into place. max speed is likely around 80mph, though, so it's probably not as big a deal. they are held in by friction with the foam and packing tape. eegads!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Friction and packing tape eegads is rite lowdive the gods have been with you.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:46 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
yeah, but like i said i'm not going near as fast as some of you. i'll have to point a cam at the servos during a future flight to see what they do in the air.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:02 AM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
I run my rods on the outtermost holes, but that's to get maximum travel (I also attach as close to the elevon as possible).

For gluing them in I used hot glue because it isn't as permanent. A bit of glue on one side and tape on the other and they should stay still but still be removable when this airframe needs replaced.
I was getting myself in a right confused mess last night with working out what hole the control rod should go into servo, was torn between outer hole or inner hole. Will clear packing tape work ok? I found a low temp 11w laying around but will get a hot gun today instead.. what is the method for removing hot glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
With the DX6i, there's a problem with the Elevon mode, in such that you get reduced travel on the servo's. Ther'e a fix where you use a couple of mixes instead of using elevon mode, but if you forget to activate them and launch, you're in trouble. I find the best way is servo arms as long as poss, use outer hole, and use the lowest hole on the control horn. I don't think you'll get full travel, i.e. recommended deflection, but this helps to give a bit more.

More info.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
A couple of days ago I came across another thread that talks about reduced travel with the DX6i and a fix for it (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=860537&page=4). The link you have posted seems to have a different solution to this problem will take a closer look after work thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Trancer,
May I ask you for your setup ?
I know you referenced a Turnigy 2836, but what kv, what ESC, and what battery ?

I think it would make a difference knowing your setup, What servos and arms, what controll horns, how heavy it is and where she CG's before reccomending servo arms and hole heights. If you are nose heavy, you will need more travel. If you are on the CG, alot of travel will make for a Stryker on crack.................usually gets back to the ground in a loud crash, and we do NOT want that. DX6i can run Dual Rates, so there is more mix to stir in your pot.
Up to you, but you can PM me if you want more details, or stay on-line..................allways here to help.

I too like the hot glue way to secure servos, easy and clean. VERY strong !!!
Hi moparmyway

My setup is

Turnigy2836 brushless Outrunner 2350kv
TURNIGY Plush 40amp ESC
Hextronik MG-14 14g/2.2kg/0.11sec servo
3S lipo
AR500 RCX
Control horns, surfaces, rods are all stock replacement stryker f27c parkzone parts.

Looking for control which isn't too wild but will turn out of winds easy.

Thanks all
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:14 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Trancer,
That low temp glue gun you already have may be just the right thing.

Low temp hot glue is what you NEED for Stryker foam. High temp will just melt a hole in it. So if you do get a bigger gun, get a low temp or dual temp. You'll find a higher wattage, low temp gun will help in the future for big jobs like gluing in carbon spars, as a low watt glue gun can't reheat itself fast enough and you can find yourself not able to get enough glue out.

Low temp glue sticks work better than all purpose ones, as they stay liquid longer for parts positioning.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Trancer,
That low temp glue gun you already have may be just the right thing.

Low temp hot glue is what you NEED for Stryker foam. High temp will just melt a hole in it. So if you do get a bigger gun, get a low temp or dual temp. You'll find a higher wattage, low temp gun will help in the future for big jobs like gluing in carbon spars, as a low watt glue gun can't reheat itself fast enough and you can find yourself not able to get enough glue out.

Low temp glue sticks work better than all purpose ones, as they stay liquid longer for parts positioning.
I notice alot of you talking about hot glue. What is the advantage of hot glue over foam safe CA??
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
at the servos, control rod is in furthest hole from center. at elevons, control rod is nearest the elevon. my elevons are almost vertical at full deflection. i use small inputs when racing around then cut throttle and hold full up to land. sucker almost floats straight down where you want to put it. i don't think i could live with less control.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:27 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I notice alot of you talking about hot glue. What is the advantage of hot glue over foam safe CA??
i have always used foam safe ca (err, not on the stryker but for other planes) and never had issues if i need to replace a servo. just takes a sharp exacto knife to work around the edges and loosen it up, then pluck it out.

i expect that hot glue is easier to work with, when applying and removing.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
A good quick way to install a servo is to rap a piece of blue painters tape around the servo(two layers) before using a small amount of ca to install them then when or if it must be removed simply cut the tape open on the front side of the servo and work the servo free. You can then clean up the servo cavity after and remove the tape from the servo leaving a clean servo to start all over.Even better than the tape is a large piece of heat shrink tubing. Cut a piece like a wide rubber band and shrink it around the servo,works out cleaner than the tape and can be found at most industrial electrical supply houses. I use this method where gluing is the only or best solution to an install and it works like a charm,easy in easy out.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:43 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanik213 View Post
A good quick way to install a servo is to rap a piece of blue painters tape around the servo(two layers) before using a small amount of ca to install them then when or if it must be removed simply cut the tape open on the front side of the servo and work the servo free. You can then clean up the servo cavity after and remove the tape from the servo leaving a clean servo to start all over.Even better than the tape is a large piece of heat shrink tubing. Cut a piece like a wide rubber band and shrink it around the servo,works out cleaner than the tape and can be found at most industrial electrical supply houses. I use this method where gluing is the only or best solution to an install and it works like a charm,easy in easy out.
I heard about the heat shrink. Do you know what size will fit most micro servos?