HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:08 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
murdnunoc,

You might like the airspeed sensor more.

Wind speed does not affect it.

Doppler, radar, GPS, those all get affected by wind speed.

But with the airspeed sensor it makes no difference if you have tail wind, head wind or no wind...I really like that.

It does not matter if it is off a couple/few MPH, as long as you know how much.
On a day with no wind, you can compare its readings with Doppler or radar at few different speeds and graph it along with best fit curve...presto, now you will know exactly what your true air speed will be at any reading of the airspeed sensor....and regardless of any wind situation.

*** Just watch the DIVES!!!!!

When you get your data logger, I/We can help you do the basic setup and give you a quick over view.

1) tell it what parameters to log, and how often such as 1/10 second.
2) tell it what to display on computer screen.
3) if you buy the extra LCD screen, tell it what to display on it.
4) number of motor poles for your RPM sensor.
5) What to do when buffer is full, stop recording or start recording over earlier data.
6) few other advanced options too if you wish.

Later my friend,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:19 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
MOPARMYWAY,
If you get a chance can you post some pictures of a stryker with a 4s or 5s setup showing battery placement and radio gear.
Also in about 2 week I should have my Sky Fun on a 5s setup,(that's the one in the video in the prior posting, and did you get my motor and gear setup?)will you be able to tell me how fast it's going by Doppler?

I have both Stryker and a Sky Fun they very similar but the Sky Fun is not EPP it's more like the cooler type foam.The advantages the Sky Fun has, it's body is much more stiffer and has about 3X the space for radio gear.(just FYI)
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:23 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Gryphon,

Ooh, dives DO sound like fun...
WAIT!!!

Rest assured I'll be pestering you not seconds after I pull the tape off the Eagletree box

I like the idea of airspeed, too, as long as I set it up to be as accurate as possible and I don't turn the pitot tube into a LiPo impaling spike!

P.S.
I just ran a preliminary KV test on the Scorpion 1400 using the Ice data logging. 4S test came out to 1599kv.

Someone ran a bunch of numbers and principles by me a couple of days ago, and most of it went right over my head. But he used ONE prop test from my motor and compared it to known KV of another motor of similar capability to get an estimated KV for my motor.

He estimated 1600kv on my 1400 motor.
Flippin' genius...

On the plus side for the possibility of running 8S, a 7S kv test came out to 1519kv. So there may be hope!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:00 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
murdnunoc,

You said:
"Someone ran a bunch of numbers and principles by me a couple of days ago, and most of it went right over my head. But he used ONE prop test from my motor and compared it to known KV of another motor of similar capability to get an estimated KV for my motor."

LOL..... Now you see why we've been doing truck loads of prop tests.
I always say, someone, somewhere, sometime will need info from one of the extra props that we test.
Recently I was having a phone discussion with Mopar as far as various things that we can do with all of the data.

***How is the ESC keeping up with your motor's high pole count at high RPM?

If it is acting up on very low AMPs on high cell count then you will most likely be o.k. on the actual prop that you need to run at max speed. They will be higher load and will drop a bunch of RPM and would hopefully drop down to the switching capability of your ESC for that "10 POLE" motor of yours.

I wish you my very best....I'm know Mopar wishes the same for you.

If 8S drops you down to 6" Prop, it may turn out that 7S with Pylon prop flies faster besides launch easier.

Either way, You will soon see how far that motor can be pushed......Cool.

Gryphon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:16 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
murdnunoc,

I am interested to see how you plan to mount your airspeed sensor (and how anyone else has already mounted it, pictures?)

I got the Eagletree Airspeed sensor a couple weeks ago but have just been staring at it wondering how best to hook it up.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:27 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
murdnunoc,

***How is the ESC keeping up with your motor's high pole count at high RPM?

If it is acting up on very low AMPs on high cell count then you will most likely be o.k. on the actual prop that you need to run at max speed. They will be higher load and will drop a bunch of RPM and would hopefully drop down to the switching capability of your ESC for that "10 POLE" motor of yours.

If 8S drops you down to 6" Prop, it may turn out that 7S with Pylon prop flies faster besides launch easier.

Either way, You will soon see how far that motor can be pushed......Cool.

Gryphon
I ran it with no prop, which should be when it has trouble, if it has it, as the RPM will be highest with no load.

Nary a hiccup. It was running around 42,000 RPM, which is 12% higher than Castle's stated max. Should be no problem at all once I get a prop on it. Hopefully 8S has the same success. There's no way I'll get over 42K on 8S with a prop on it, as long as the prop is pulling it down below 85% of KV. So I feel really good about the controller's ability to handle the motor.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:36 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
efflux RC,

I'm very glad that you are now a MEGA dealer.

I've been looking at your web site, your posts and asking my friends about you.

It looks like you are a standup guy, and also HAVE A NEED FOR SPEED.

That is awesome.

Your prices are VERY good. At a time when others have talked about possibly raising prices, you lowered them a little instead of raising.

Hopefully the volume of sales will more than make up for it....you obviously have long term vision/plans.

I know you are mainly into EDF setups; we can suggest some popular MEGA motors that people run in Strykers and Funjets.

In Future as you start building up your on hand stock of MEGA motors, maybe you can carry some of those motors.

*** You never know, maybe some of your EDF's will end up on Strykers.

The pic below shows a 800W Stryker running MEGA 16/25/1 on 3S good for 100 MPH after unloading some Watts at high speed....probably down near 600W at max speed.

Hope to see you around,

Gryphon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:36 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
murdnunoc,

I am interested to see how you plan to mount your airspeed sensor (and how anyone else has already mounted it, pictures?)

I got the Eagletree Airspeed sensor a couple weeks ago but have just been staring at it wondering how best to hook it up.
I've only had one mounted up a couple of times, and it was borrowed, so we just taped it on. The pitot tube was on top of the wing, just after the fuselage fairs into the actual wing section of the plane's body. Then we just ran the tubes to the display which was also taped down to the fuselage

A clean, more permanent mounting solution would be to bury the pitot tube in the nose and the display/sensor unit dug into a hole in the side of the battery bay. At least, that's how I envision mine.

You could also put it in the leading edge of the wing and bury the sensor behind it in the wing core if you don't want to crowd the inside of the fuselage. Then run the wire to your receiver.

I think any good mounting job is going to involve some digging if you don't want to add drag to the airframe. But if you don't care about drag, just tape it down like I did!

Whatever you do, keep the air tubing as straight as possible, and mount the pitot tube pointed into undisturbed air, directly straight ahead.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:45 AM
Renton, WA
Joined May 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
efflux RC,

*** You never know, maybe some of your EDF's will end up on Strykers.

Gryphon
An EDF on a Stryker... Interesting!
customrcparts is offline Find More Posts by customrcparts
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:46 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
murdnunoc ,

Your hope came true as far as Castle Creations specs being "AT LEAST" that stated electrical RPM (whatever that number was).

Way cool.

Thanks for the update.

Now lets see how fast will a Pylon prop spin on that bad boy .

Have fun testing...keep tests to 3 seconds. Disregard the numbers before 1 second after peak AMPs (initial surge).

Allow the motor to lose some of its excess heat before going to next prop up.

As motor cools, you can check %KV, read AMPs etc to make sure you don't go up too high on next prop.

*** Remember to upload the latest Firmware:
http://www.castlecreations.com/downl...h-phoenix.html

Gryphon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:56 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
customrcparts, efflux RC

Gary, meet Gary.

Gary, maybe Gary can send you some EDF's for a day or two while you take some measurements off of it (related to mounting the EDF).

Those measurements can help you make an EDF adapter for your awesome Custom Stryker motor mounts.

WIN, WIN for both of you.

..........AND we with custom motor mounts from customrcparts will win too, if we can easily bolt some of the various EDFs from efflux RC to our Strykers.

69mm to 70mm EDF would be a great place to start.

Gryphon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 03:17 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,842 Posts
Thanks for the welcome GryphonRCU.
There will be a bit of a learnig curve with the pushers, but I'm willing to learn from you guys, and if you know what you need so much to better. We can help each other.

I sell composite jets, but I'm flyin' the foamys.
Here's a few shots of a current Squall project. and a 90mm EDF/56mm airframe, Phase 3 Fantom (Yes, the old Fantom) It's still on the back burner. Hope you guys don't mind the off topic pics.

Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 05, 2010, 03:32 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customrcparts View Post
An EDF on a Stryker... Interesting!
Custom,

an EDF Stryker would be smooookin for sure. I took a look at your web site. It's very nice, as is your work. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer myself. Used AutoCAD for 14 yrs. Just got Turbocad for the business, and I'm not to happy with it. We'll have to talk. Good meeting you Gary.

Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 05, 2010, 03:37 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
efflux RC,

We always know what we need. Our various setups have proven themselves

I have 70 props for Strykers (60 different sizes), and lots of test data.

Several of us on the Stryker thread love pushing the motors to the ragged edge and see what is possible.

Whenever you have time contact me and I can discuss various stuff with you.

Gryphon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 03:46 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Oops, I do that from time to time. This is my where I flaunt my personal efforts. Ha ha.

Gary...yes, Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right