HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:03 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
gryph,

Do you think the 16/25/2.5S will be a better performer then the 16/25/3 on 6s with 6.5" props or do you think it will draw to many amps?
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Last edited by gotboostedvr6; Jan 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:37 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
gotboostedvr6,

OOOOH, that is a tough one....

16/25/2.5S 1850KV on 6S: Most likely close to max in a Stryker with APC Pylon 6.5X5.0 (similar draw as APC E 6X5.5), I would not recommend 6.5X5.5 unless I had tested that on appropriate size 6S.

1850 and 1700 are close in KV, and so are their resistances.

16/25/3 1700KV 6S is near max with 6.5X6.0 , heard of it on 6.5X6.5 on a couple of flights (risky).

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jan 29, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:38 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGONZO View Post
ThankYou Moparmyway

You might be interested to know that I own a

1969 Barracuda 440
1970 Hemi Cuda Convertible (perfect clone)
1971 440 Six pack Cuda
1963 Plymouth Savoy 426 Max-Wedge

OK back to Strykers:

I have not glassed or carbon fibered my Strykers and so far so good.
Any suggestions on how to strenghten the air frame, without too much effort?
And who in the US sells that motor, without waiting 6-8 weeks for it?
A 69 Cuda with a 440 ??
How much room is left for tightening those headder bolts on that "A" body ???

Your 70 and 71 Cuda cars are 2 of my most favorites !!
Although my 70 Challenger allows me to lift my hood without worrying about scratching any paint, your post about those Cuda's are making me think of working on some FAST Mopars instead of Strykers !!!

There is really not too much strength to be gained without adding CF or glassing. Some Dudes run some extra tape (3m X-Treme or Suretape gaffers) in key places, but speeds will usually have to stay below 120 unless you take the time to strengthen with CF and/or glass. Some use both to go superfast, so dont rule that out eithor.

If you need some help in the CF or glassing department, just say so, we can get you plenty of pics and guidance as you travel deeper and deeper into your Stryker speed addiction.

Its all about how fast you wanna go. Fast to you could be 100 mph, whereas fast to some other Dudes could be 175 or even higher. Yes, in a Stryker !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:39 AM
Fly it like you stole it
Joined Feb 2007
172 Posts
Yes in late 1969 model year, the "valiant fastback" styled Barracuda's got the big car 440 engine. This resulted in somewhat better 1/4 mile ET's but lousy handling. There are few of them around today. Certainly not as good looking as the 70 + up Cuda's but interesting none the less. No Headers using stock exhaust manifolds.

I know all about FAST Mopars and the Pure Stock and Stock Appearing Drags, if you know what I'm talking about.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
My strykers are over 100 mph, but I dont like watching the foam bend around turns much, so any help on glassing and CF pictures would be much appreciated.
Will call about the motor today. Gryph
SUPERGONZO is offline Find More Posts by SUPERGONZO
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:50 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Well I put an order in for a Stryker today Gonna keep it stock for awhile.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:41 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Well I put an order in for a Stryker today Gonna keep it stock for awhile.
It won't last long, trust me.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:08 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
No kidding I have another Medusa 28-40-1700kv with a bent shaft. Fool me twice...

So now I am going to try the ARC 28-47-2170kv for a while (Hopefully!!!)
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:25 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
ender707,

Hello my friend, I like to use this post more as a instructional for others.
I'm sending you a PM too.

How much would you have saved if you started with MEGA 16/25/3C which has 5mm shaft?

It handles more AMPs than the ARC, and same or little more than the Medusa.....and it will not bend a shaft since it has 2.4 times more Metal in the shaft's cross section.

We will not even mention the anguish of having a bent shaft.

That is why when I find people in their early stages of Stryker upgrades, I talk them into a MEGA....I tell them that they will save in long run and have more power all along.....All of them have been happy.

These days I don't even bother with 3.2mm shafts. I'm about to get my last 3.2mm MEGA converted into 5mm.

Your ARC's shaft is softer than Medusa....so be very careful.

***Sum up the cost of 3 motors and subtract $114 from that total.
Letís forget about multiple shipping.

(MEGA used to be $95 before value of Dollar dropped badly, manufacturer in Europe never raise price).

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
It won't last long, trust me.
very true
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Gryphon,

I live and learn! Your advice is sound.

I am interested in getting a Mega, and will be getting a combat shaft model for my next motor. I know that this is the place to figure out the exact model I will need when the time comes, so I will definately ask when it does.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:41 AM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Hi ender707 I came across your post from last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Just assembled a new airframe and wanted to post some pics, I have been flying Strykers for a few years now.

The airframe is basically stock, after pre-bending the "hinges" on the elevons they work well enough. Used a dremmel tool on the motor mount's interior to create space for the Turnigy Outrunner to rotate. I also created space in the battery bay to fit the suprisingly large Rhino 2250 30C Batt.

Flies great, Very fast and unlimited vertical.

My Stryker:
Turnigy 2836 2350kv Outrunner
Zippy Rhino 2250mah 11.1v 30C Lipo
E-Flite 30 Amp ESC
Dx6i and AR500 rx
Stock Parkzone Servos
6 x 4 Parkzone Prop

Watts Up meter shows 36-38 amps, 400+ watts at WOT
I am thinking about going for the same setup you had. I have a Stryker airframe laying around after destroying my stock Stryker years before.

Will a 3S 20C lipo be able to run this setup quoted above or will I have to invest in 30C lipos?

Could someone point me in the direction to a value for money ESC and servos I would need on hobbycity?

Thanks very much
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
ender707,

How much would you have saved if you started with MEGA 16/25/3C which has 5mm shaft?

It handles more AMPs than the ARC, and same or little more than the Medusa.....and it will not bend a shaft since it has 2.4 times more Metal in the shaft's cross section.

That is why when I find people in their early stages of Stryker upgrades, I talk them into a MEGA....I tell them that they will save in long run and have more power all along.....All of them have been happy.

These days I don't even bother with 3.2mm shafts. I'm about to get my last 3.2mm MEGA converted into 5mm.

(MEGA used to be $95 before value of Dollar dropped badly, manufacturer in Europe never raise price).

Gryphon
In 7 months of ARC motors, I haven't bent a shaft. I am wondering if it is because of all the prop testing you guys do??? How else would you bend a 3.2mm pusher shaft? Except for landing with throttle on .
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6533

Never heard of a bent shaft with one of these.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
ender707,

Gryphon
I am debating on a mega for my stryker or one for my hotliner. I can only afford one. hmm......
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:40 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
In 7 months of ARC motors, I haven't bent a shaft. I am wondering if it is because of all the prop testing you guys do??? How else would you bend a 3.2mm pusher shaft? Except for landing with throttle on .
When the landing speeds increase, and the weights get heavier (bigger batteries, bigger motors, glass, etc..) even 100% brake will NOT hold the larger props in place, so they "HIT" the ground, and they hit it with enough inertia to bend a shaft (4 pole motors are more prone to this than 6 pole motors). I have bent a 3.2mm shaft well over 100 times. Sometimes they can get bent back into position, sometimes they cant. With a 5mm shaft, there are NO worries about bent shafts anymore. I fly VERY often, and my Strykers are heavy and fast. Stock Dudes dont worry too much about it because there isnt that much weight and there really isnt too much "excess" landing speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudknocker71 View Post
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6533

Never heard of a bent shaft with one of these.
UUUuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm....................
Those are 5mm shafts also
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Jan 30, 2010 at 03:46 PM.