SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:19 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Fortunately I flew that thing about 4 times a weeks, got about 20 or so flights.

My first 4S Stryker

I'll just build the next one better. Got my new mount, have a fuse ready to go. I like building them just as much a flying. It was a nasty sound, it's always exciting crashing a stryker. -----R.I.P-----
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:43 AM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
Oh come on! I wrecked mine worse than that and it was still fixable, flew just fine after some bamboo skewers, spare foam, and a bunch of epoxy. Might as well order a new airframe ($20) for when it isn't fixable or worth the time to fix but that thing could be flying again tomorrow!
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:33 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
Glassing the motor mount area (top and bottom) and a couple of inches forward will greatly reduce the chance of the motor breaking off like what happened to your Stryker.
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Johnny,
Sorry about your crash.

Was it a result of the elevator response problem? Whatever the cause, it sux.

Was there any damage to your valuable components?

It's very understandable to not patch it together after something like that. You're going for high performance, and a band-aided airframe just doesn't track like one that hasn't taken any whallops! Sport flyers are fine for a few ventures into terra firma, but you're wise to start with a fresh airframe.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
Another good flight today using the emax 2812 , something weird though , all in all ive stripped 4 servos , just standard 9g tower pro's , i have ordered a few metal geared ones to replace these but it begs the question of why , no hard landings no crashes flight is a lot slower than my combat wings or my fw190 so im guessing stresses on the servo should be less. Ive checked over the elevons and they move easily and responsively , no grating or buzzing at end points. It has me stumped lol.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
Oh come on! I wrecked mine worse than that and it was still fixable, flew just fine after some bamboo skewers, spare foam, and a bunch of epoxy. Might as well order a new airframe ($20) for when it isn't fixable or worth the time to fix but that thing could be flying again tomorrow!
It's worse than it looks, you should see the bottom. I don't want to mess with that anyways. I repair planes but not ones that are $18.99. The balsa elevons were no good anyways, I have bigger ones to use not to mention the new motor mount from customrc.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

Did you say that you had a new motor mount waiting for you?

If so which one was it?

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Johnny,
Sorry about your crash.

Was it a result of the elevator response problem? Whatever the cause, it sux.

Was there any damage to your valuable components?

It's very understandable to not patch it together after something like that. You're going for high performance, and a band-aided airframe just doesn't track like one that hasn't taken any whallops! Sport flyers are fine for a few ventures into terra firma, but you're wise to start with a fresh airframe.
My thoughts exactly. I am into building an airframe that flies well at 120mph. It was a combo of the elevators being non-responsive and the presence of my ex-wife. I was flying like a maniac, 100mph inverted at 20 ft. I was angry, don't fly angry.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
johnnyrocco123,

Did you say that you had a new motor mount waiting for you?

If so which one was it?

Gryphon
customrc mount, hs-82mg's, 1.5" elevons, and a new airframe.

I didn't lose any components, lipo bent a tad, I will try and charge it this weekend.

Thank god my Castle Ice 100 was ok. Whew!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Fly it like you stole it
Joined Feb 2007
172 Posts
OK, so whats the hot 4S setup??
SUPERGONZO is offline Find More Posts by SUPERGONZO
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

Ex-wife gets 90+% credit.....meaning blame.

you got way lucky that your ESC lived.

In the early days when my friends and I used to crash, the ESC would be taken out a good % of time.
The motor, motor mount and that large foam chunk would rip out and go flying, pulling on ESC and ripping it out or banging into it.

Then we started beefing up the area so the foam would stay and nto take damage there. Well, then the motor and part of motor mount would go flying causing same damage.

Then Zip ties or mechanic wires kept motor in place.

We stopped knocking each other out of the sky, and are better pilots now and fly more responsibly, so we don’t crash anymore. Also adding Co-pilot is extra protection.

No more worries with Gary's new mount that you just got. Clean and professional.
Saving a single Castle ESC during a crash is like making money, not just paying for itself.

The vertical part of the mount where the motor bolts into has a rib behind it and it will not bend like some of my friends homemade "L" shaped brackets.
After some of my friends bent a few of those "L" brackets during hard landings, they started using thicker and thicker ones.
A friend showed how thick bracket , really thick, he had to make in order for his NEU 1509 motor to not bend his custom mount.

Those days are over.

See how far forward the new mount goes?
It'll be hard for someone to break that big a chunk of foam off, especially that the front edge of the foam under mount will be VERY thick.

Mopar and Gary....Bravo....Again and Again.

My best friend is going to order a 28mm mount and also a 36mm MEGA adapter. I gave him the link to customrcparts.com a few days ago.

My brother is going to order a 28mm mount....I was late sending him a link, but he got it last night.

Gryphon
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:24 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Supergonzo,

MEGA 16/35/1.5
4s5000
APC 6.5x6.5
CC Phoenix 125
(You had better have ALOT of strength in your Stryker, it will see speeds over 140)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Supergonzo,

MEGA 16/35/1.5
4s5000
APC 6.5x6.5
CC Phoenix 125
(You had better have ALOT of strength in your Stryker, it will see speeds over 140)
That's the first Fast 4s setup I have ever seen posted, plain and simple. Usually people send you searching back through threads.

Looks expensive. :0
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:14 PM
Fly it like you stole it
Joined Feb 2007
172 Posts
ThankYou Moparmyway

You might be interested to know that I own a

1969 Barracuda 440
1970 Hemi Cuda Convertible (perfect clone)
1971 440 Six pack Cuda
1963 Plymouth Savoy 426 Max-Wedge

OK back to Strykers:

I have not glassed or carbon fibered my Strykers and so far so good.
Any suggestions on how to strenghten the air frame, without too much effort?
And who in the US sells that motor, without waiting 6-8 weeks for it?
SUPERGONZO is offline Find More Posts by SUPERGONZO
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
SUPERGONZO,

People have been ordering from New Creations RC in Texas:

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/aboutus.aspx

Call them, and talk to Kirk Massey (Owner) on the phone. Motor is not listed on web site.

__________________________________________________ ________________

The old USA Distributor of MEGA motors is closing down and he might have (1) left.

Call Ken on the phone and be ready to leave message with your phone number in case he is not around:

http://www.megamotorusa.com/Contact.htm

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I know a great majority of people who bought that very same motor.

Maybe one or two of them would be willing to sell you theirs to try other motors, possibly same motor in different KV to run on different number of cells.

Some bought extra motors they might be willing to sell.

I already contacted the manufacturer (by e-mail) to see if he has one sitting on the shelf or not. {If he has it, order will go through New Creations RC}

There is one guy who has not finished his project and has not flown with his motor, maybe he would be willing to sell and get another one soon in time for completion of his Stryker.

Majority of motors have optional 5mm shaft, 1 of the options I listed above has the standard 3.2mm shaft.

Let me know what you want to do.

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM.