Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:39 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
DbleX,
The closest inrunner HobbyCity will have to your old motor will be the Turnigy 2835 2700kv inrunner
It is definitely slower than 2700kv. More like 2300 or 2400. Expect power handling around 40 Amps, and 3 cell speeds around 75mph. 4S maybe 85mph. Just ballpark figures.

If you're willing to do just a little hacking on your stock motor mount, you could run the Turnigy 2300kv outrunner.
You'll have to shave down the inside of the motor mount just a little with a Dremel sanding drum to allow the outside of the motor to spin, but other than that, it'll mount just like the inrunner motors. See pics here. I've run this motor to 100mph with no problem on 4S, and others have had great experience with it on Strykers, too. Expect 85-90mph ballpark on 3S.

One thing based on my experience with outrunners on Strykers is they don't handle crashes well. I've had both outrunners I've run get magnets knocked off in crashes, effectively ruining the motor. Just something to keep in mind if you're planning on the plane seeing some abuse in combat.

If you feel like being a tester, there's another inrunner at HC that hasn't gotten much press that I've seen, but looks like it could hold promise. It'll fit your mount fine, and the specs don't look too bad. I'd love to hear how one of these flies on a Stryker.

My preference for performance would be the 2300kv outrunner, unless the impeller inrunner is a real sleeper!

Have fun, and let us know if we can help narrow it down any more.
Just for you, Murdnunoc, in case you havent seen it yet...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169504

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Just for you, Murdnunoc, in case you havent seen it yet...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169504

Kid
Thanks, Kid!

I did see in the Ritewing thread where Jak blew up that motor, but for some reason I was thinking it was the 480 size he was working with.

Looks like they're worth a shot!

Shame the 480 size is 30mm diameter. Means no stock mount. But for anyone who can get around that, it may be a cheap ticket to some power. I'm going to throw the 1370kv onto my next order to try some cheap high voltage!

hmm... am I the only one to whom it sounds weird to say "cheap" and "high voltage" in the same breath?!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Thanks, Kid!

I did see in the Ritewing thread where Jak blew up that motor, but for some reason I was thinking it was the 480 size he was working with.

Looks like they're worth a shot!

Shame the 480 size is 30mm diameter. Means no stock mount. But for anyone who can get around that, it may be a cheap ticket to some power. I'm going to throw the 1370kv onto my next order to try some cheap high voltage!

hmm... am I the only one to whom it sounds weird to say "cheap" and "high voltage" in the same breath?!
I might try the 480 in my hotliner.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
murdnunoc,

Gary's new 28mm mount will take up to 30.25 mm. (in case you were already getting one)

http://www.customrcparts.com/motorMo...005&bannerID=9

Change of subject (from mount):

What did you do with the Medusa 28-56-1400KV V1, did you run that on 7S?

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:25 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
What did you do with the Medusa 28-56-1400KV V1, did you run that on 7S?

Gryphon
I haven't even run a prop on it yet.

It's out right now getting some very useful data harvested from it

Once it's back, I'll drill cooling holes, install the homemade rotor with larger magnets, and hopefully send it out to get more data. I expect the KV to drop while resistance stays the same, leading to crazy efficiency on 8S, where I plan to run it.

For now, the Scorpion 3026-1400 is installed and will hopefully fly next weekend. I may be hitting my ESC's RPM limit, as it's stuttering at high throttle on 7S. Not good if that's the case. I'm in the middle of resoldering all bullet connectors to make sure that's not the cause. Next step (which will happen regardless) is to get a better ESC. If that doesn't do it, I'll know a 10 pole motor just won't work for me if I want to run over 6S.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
murdnunoc,

I've been thinking of what to ask MEGA to add to his motor line up next.

One random idea was to max out power while using the Castle Creations ICE 100A which is good for 8S. (not ICE Lite)

For that I would need to see what specs might the MEGA 16/35/2.5 and 16/40/2.5 have....such as estimated KV and resistance.
2 motors, each in S and R version would give me 4 possibilities...so I have to think this through carefully.

That should be a very nice setup. Quality ESC (not most expensive), awesome 28mm MEGA motor, people can run a couple of medium sized 4S packs to distribute weight.
Choice of 7S with bigger prop or 8S with 1/2" smaller prop.

8S, 95A/100A is BIG POWER.
...I just don't see how any other top shelf motor (non 6 pole) could swing same size props with 28mm motor at same power levels & RPMs.

Tachometers:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPT31&P=ML

Even cheaper in hobby city.....actually a recent post showed a VERY high RPM tach was available from hobby city.
Most all tachs top out at 32,000 RPM...but not that new one from HC. If anyone has a link for it, post it please.

Eagle Tree Data logger can read 6 pole 50,000+ RPM

Gryphon
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:20 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
this looks like it. 99,999 RPM!

Good deal! My tax return wish list is building.

Still a lot to hang on to while at the same time trying to capture a snapshot of amps and volts, too, from a separate wattmeter. I like the Eagletree logger you mentioned.

------------------

The possibility of a 16/40/2.5 sounds really nice for HV stuff. 8S is usually more attainable than 7S since it's much more likely people have access to 4S packs they can series into 8S than a matching 3S and 4S set to series into 7S.

I have noticed it is very, very tough to come up with an 8S ESC. I've only come up with two candidates for my stuff. One's the Ice 100, and the other a Hobbywing 120A HV.
They just aren't out there, in any price range. Everyone tops out at 6S (which, in reality, is as high as most people would care to go, I guess.)
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:29 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Yeap, that's it.

I hope you'll spend that extra $20 for the 150A data logger as compared to the 100A Logger.

Gryphon
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Emax 2812 , 7x6 prop , 30 amp esc 2200mah 11.1v lipo: flies fine , i even have a copilot on there which is just dead weight really and i should remove it , flight times are quite short even though im not using the throttle all of the time , speed isnt too slow and she flies sell enough at half throttle. Need a few more flights to see if i want to keep it this way/try diff props but at least i know she flies.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:22 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
ScouseThief,

Glad to hear it worked!

If you're OK with dropping some of the speed in favor of longer flight times and better climbing/fun flying, you could run a 7x3 or 7x4 prop. The APC-E props will draw more current and produce more power than equally sized Sport props.
Last edited by murdnunoc; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Thanks murdnunoc , ill order some more props and try some more see what i can work out , it may be that they cheapo esc cutting out too early on the lipo , see what i can find out
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
ESC I designed and manufactured

Look at what I came up with today. By my calculations, which 60% of the time are right every time, it should be good for 1,000,000,000 amps

Here I come stryker record
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Thekid3418,

Your calculations are right in this case, except you left out 1 word: "Pico"

..., it should be good for 1,000,000,000 Pico amps

Gryphon
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
Gryphon, you don't take into account the distinct lack of copper in the board. This new technology, perfected by yours truly, results in the ESC not conducting ANY heat

I can promise you, from my initial testing, that it wastes 0 watts in typical usage

Kid
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:08 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Kid,
Let me know when you put these up for sale.

Is it rated for 80 cell?