Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
594 Posts
Guys, can someone direct me in a comparison set up?

I used to have a mega 16-15-4 and phnx 45 set up....

Want the same thing, but does anyone know HobbyKings comparison to this set up? I want to build another arf using the stock mounts ect, but want the Mega 16-15-4 and phnx 45 feel in power. BUT, I want to get it from Hobbyking.

Anyone familiar with a motor/esc set up that will fit the stock mounts?

thanks! just on a budget for a combat plane!
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:56 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
If not building for speed : Do you guys think the stryker could be flown using an emax 2812 1500kv outrunner motor ?

Im perfectly happy with my 3900kv turnigy inrunner , i was just wondering if the motor was powerful enough , i have a couple spare as i use them on my swift , divinity and my toro wings.

Just sedate-ish flying if i want to go fast ill use the turnigy.

What do you think ?
I have a slow Stryker. Its a B airframe with a C mount. Its a Turnigy 2828 1650kv out runner with 1500mah 3 cell and APC 7x4 prop. Very light and slow compared to the hot rods around here. I have also used a 1500kv blue wonder on it and it worked fine.
Landing is no problem since you can almost come to a stop and plop it down.

Here's a very boring raw vid from 2 years ago on its maiden trying to get the throws and trim right. Breezy day. No more then 1/2 throttle. Good thrust for launch.

G

Slow Stryker (1 min 55 sec)
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:23 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could reccommend the hottest setup I could get on 3S?
I have a bare Stryker airframe and accessories - and a bunch of 2250mah 30C 3S packs...

I know everyhting has probably been listed in this thread - but its 490 some pages long... I'm looking for advice on a hot setup - quickly.
Thanks,
Christian

Thanks - not trying to be rude
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:57 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,815 Posts
craab,

Hottest setup on 3S can max out two of your packs in parallel....Do you have enough ESC for that?

OR

1) Do you want to run just 1 of your medium sized/capability 3S packs?

2) In either case....how many AMPs do you want to run?

FYI: People have ran two of your packs in parallel. If they are not more than 25mm wide, two of them will fit side by side.

3) Do you need ESC?
4) How fast do you want to fly now on 3S?
5) Will motor be run on 4S in future or will it stay on 3S?

The more you comment, the better the responses can be.

Hottest setup on 3S will handle 180A in short bursts with good size prop….that’s why more detail will be needed.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:34 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
Gryphon, thanks for your help!

I don't want to run 2 packs in parallel. I have a few 30 and 40 amp ESCs I'm not using - so I'd like to use the 40 amp ESC.
I don't think I will want to move to 4S in the future... But possibly.

Basically I want to get as fast as I can go on 1 3S 2250 30C pack - using my 40 amp ESC.

I want a Stryker tht I can fly with my buddies on windy days - but I'm not looking to break any speed records.
That being said I want the most speed I can get with the packs ESC I mentioned.

I look forward to your ideas!
-Christian
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:32 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craab View Post
I have a bare Stryker airframe and accessories - and a bunch of 2250mah 30C 3S packs...

I know everyhting has probably been listed in this thread - but its 490 some pages long... I'm looking for advice on a hot setup - quickly.
Thanks,
Christian

Based on what you have said in your 2 posts..........
I would reccommend the following;

1. ARC 28x38x3
2. Prop for up to a MAX prop of 7x7 or a APC 7x5 E prop

The 7x5 E prop will give you just over 40 amps at launch on your stated 3 cell battery. In flight it will unload down to about 30 amps in a dive and about 36 amps straight and level.

The 7x7 will be a little "hotter" and will NOT unload in the air, it will pull slightly over 40 amps, but if you cool your ESC well, it will be just fine.

Both props should be run with a heatsink on your motor, as you will be using everything this little ARC has, but you will like the results.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:31 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Das LuftStyker

Hi All,

I am new to this group but happy to be a part of it.

I have been flying RC since last summer when I started on a Hobby Zone Super Cub. That particular plane now has new electronics and transmitter, a new wing with ailerons, and a new motor (highly recommend the TowerPro 2409-18T motor from Heads Up RC - $12.00 for a whole lotta fun!).

I have also done a great deal of flying with my Parkzone F4U Corsair, which I also recently upgraded to a 3536-10 from Heads Up RC. Again, lots of fun and great training for ailerons and wheeled takeoffs and landings.

But my favorite plane so far has been the stock PNP F-27C Stryker. I have had well over 60 flights on this airframe and grown to love its performance and handling. It got fairly banged up in the learning process and after a recent crash I decided to upgrade to a new airframe with my own finish. Part of what I was trying to accomplish with a new airframe is to lower the drag and strengthen the airframe; more rigidity equals better handling.

You can see the results below. I finished the airframe with 3 oz fiberglass tape and epoxy around the motor mount, and 1/2 oz glass cloth and polycrylic over the whole body. The paint scheme is my interpretation of what the "LuftStyker" might have been painted by the German Luftwaffe in WWII. I am running the stock engine with 3s 2200 to 2600 mah batteries.

I plan to maiden the plane this week.
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
www.customrcparts.com

Got my box with the new customrcparts.com motor mount today, and I am very happy!

Everything was very well packed, and each piece of the mount was in its own plastic bag; no scratches on anything. Hardware (minus motor mounting screws) was included and worked well. Got it installed in about 20 minutes. There are no instructions in the box, but I found the instructions with pictures on the website.

It looks like cooling will be improved a great deal vs the stock mount. The motor has so much open space to breath around the bottom and the sides that the stock mount had covered with plastic. No more broken plastic tabs!

EDIT: Just thought to mention that the Turnigy 2836 series outrunners (Red and Blue) will not fit without modifying the mount due to the placement of the wires coming out of the motor. I plan to order a spare mount seperate to expiriment with.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,815 Posts
ender707,

Congratulations, you must be like one of the first 10 customers.

I look forward to your flight report.

Is that the 28-40-1700V2 Medusa?

Looks a little fat like a 36mm.....LOL

Have fun,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post

Is that the 28-40-1700V2 Medusa?

Looks a little fat like a 36mm...

Gryphon

Its EASY to tell what size motor that is.

Medusa has a very unique way of putting the rear cooling holes on V2 models, and allowing the wires to come out of EACH hole, front snout (bearing) is easily identified..........DEAD GIVEAWAY !!!!!!!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
Got my box with the new customrcparts.com motor mount today, and I am very happy!

Everything was very well packed, and each piece of the mount was in its own plastic bag; no scratches on anything. Hardware (minus motor mounting screws) was included and worked well. Got it installed in about 20 minutes. There are no instructions in the box, but I found the instructions with pictures on the website.

It looks like cooling will be improved a great deal vs the stock mount. The motor has so much open space to breath around the bottom and the sides that the stock mount had covered with plastic. No more broken plastic tabs!

EDIT: Just thought to mention that the Turnigy 2836 series outrunners (Red and Blue) will not fit without modifying the mount due to the placement of the wires coming out of the motor. I plan to order a spare mount seperate to expiriment with.
Wheres your receiver? Ever since I started running an ice 100 amp esc it has been tricky fitting a AR500 in there. I don't want to bury it in the wing but I'm almost there.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craab View Post

Thanks,
Christian

I got a new motor that might fly it well. not sure what the stock motor did or would do but well this motor will do the following just got finished testing it today. have yet to fly it, I dont have a stryker I have a home made delta weigh 13.5 ouce w/o battery

I got it compared to a 3 cell lipo and a 3cell A123

BATTERY /PROP/AMPS/WATTS/P SPEED

3S lipo:4.75x4.75: 26,400 /36 /393.2 /118

3SA123: 4.75x4.75:22,000/ 23 /200 /99.86
-------------------------------------------------
3S lipo: 4.7x4.2:27,300/ 32 /356 /108

3SA123: 4.7x4.2: 22,500/ 22/ 191.2 /89
------------------------------------------------
3Slipo: 5x5 /25,700 /43.39 /478.5 /121 23

3cell A123: 5x5/ 20,800/ 27.6/ 234.7/ 98.48
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleX View Post
Guys, can someone direct me in a comparison set up?

I used to have a mega 16-15-4 and phnx 45 set up....

Want the same thing, but does anyone know HobbyKings comparison to this set up? I want to build another arf using the stock mounts ect, but want the Mega 16-15-4 and phnx 45 feel in power. BUT, I want to get it from Hobbyking.

Anyone familiar with a motor/esc set up that will fit the stock mounts?

thanks! just on a budget for a combat plane!
DbleX,
The closest inrunner HobbyCity will have to your old motor will be the Turnigy 2835 2700kv inrunner
It is definitely slower than 2700kv. More like 2300 or 2400. Expect power handling around 40 Amps, and 3 cell speeds around 75mph. 4S maybe 85mph. Just ballpark figures.

If you're willing to do just a little hacking on your stock motor mount, you could run the Turnigy 2300kv outrunner.
You'll have to shave down the inside of the motor mount just a little with a Dremel sanding drum to allow the outside of the motor to spin, but other than that, it'll mount just like the inrunner motors. See pics here. I've run this motor to 100mph with no problem on 4S, and others have had great experience with it on Strykers, too. Expect 85-90mph ballpark on 3S.

One thing based on my experience with outrunners on Strykers is they don't handle crashes well. I've had both outrunners I've run get magnets knocked off in crashes, effectively ruining the motor. Just something to keep in mind if you're planning on the plane seeing some abuse in combat.

If you feel like being a tester, there's another inrunner at HC that hasn't gotten much press that I've seen, but looks like it could hold promise. It'll fit your mount fine, and the specs don't look too bad. I'd love to hear how one of these flies on a Stryker.

My preference for performance would be the 2300kv outrunner, unless the impeller inrunner is a real sleeper!

Have fun, and let us know if we can help narrow it down any more.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
DbleX,
The closest inrunner HobbyCity will have to your old motor will be the Turnigy 2835 2700kv inrunner
It is definitely slower than 2700kv. More like 2300 or 2400. Expect power handling around 40 Amps, and 3 cell speeds around 75mph. 4S maybe 85mph. Just ballpark figures.

If you're willing to do just a little hacking on your stock motor mount, you could run the Turnigy 2300kv outrunner.
You'll have to shave down the inside of the motor mount just a little with a Dremel sanding drum to allow the outside of the motor to spin, but other than that, it'll mount just like the inrunner motors. See pics here. I've run this motor to 100mph with no problem on 4S, and others have had great experience with it on Strykers, too. Expect 85-90mph ballpark on 3S.

One thing based on my experience with outrunners on Strykers is they don't handle crashes well. I've had both outrunners I've run get magnets knocked off in crashes, effectively ruining the motor. Just something to keep in mind if you're planning on the plane seeing some abuse in combat.

If you feel like being a tester, there's another inrunner at HC that hasn't gotten much press that I've seen, but looks like it could hold promise. It'll fit your mount fine, and the specs don't look too bad. I'd love to hear how one of these flies on a Stryker.

My preference for performance would be the 2300kv outrunner, unless the impeller inrunner is a real sleeper!

Have fun, and let us know if we can help narrow it down any more.
I've been eyeing that Turnigy 380L V-Spec Inrunner w/ Impeller 2600kv

I'm going to pickl one up when they get back in stock. Looks promising.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Wheres your receiver? Ever since I started running an ice 100 amp esc it has been tricky fitting a AR500 in there. I don't want to bury it in the wing but I'm almost there.
It is an AR500, and it sits right in front of the ESC (towards nose), the long antenna goes out the stock hole, and is taped to bottom of wing.

Seems like interference would be a problem, but with the 2.4 system it does not seem to be, I have been flying it like this for a long time, always do a range check, and have no problems so far.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707