SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 AM
Joined Feb 2009
32 Posts
Future speed goals: I want to break 100 MPH at will, 120 MPH top speed would be nice. Beyond 140 you run into servo issues, serious drag, lots of wattage required, etc. so if I hit 120ish when I really put the coals to it I'll be happy with it. I don't have any speed-measuring equipment but I have a good eye for speed and when my aerodynamics were halfway decent I was hitting around 80 on 4s and that was too slow. Looking at videos of 120 MPH Strykers on YouTube that should be sufficient.

Batteries on hand: I bought 2 2150 mAH 4s Rhino lipos for it and have been running those for a while now. The only other lipos I have are either too small (1800 mAH and lower) or too big (5000 mAH and larger). I'd like to run my Rhinos for a while longer but eventually upgrade.

Parallel or series: I'd prefer to to keep the wing loading down, it glides very nicely now and has a very low stall speed. I know I will have to compromise to get more power but I think a 6s 3300 mAH lipo is about the biggest I'm willing to go (2 3s in series would probably be better for weight balancing).

More batteries in the future: Yes, I never commit to just 1 set of batteries or build a setup intended to run on only them. I try to build my RCs to be flexible. I will most-likely be buying Turnigy lipos from HobbyCity for it, I have used them in the past with great success and for the money they're impossible to beat. Hyperion G3s have been very good as well (the 5C charge rate straight-up rules!) but it'd probably be about $150 for a pack that can handle my Stryker when I could get Turnigys that handle it just fine for $30-$40.

ESC: HobbyCity has some nicely rated ESCs at a good price and judging by their reviews they are reliable, but Castle controllers have less resistance and I have first-hand experience with their reliability and customer service (have owned well over a dozen of their ESCs and dealt with their CS numerous times). I've been running some numbers and the Ice 75 should be capable of what I need it to do, I don't want to be pulling a ton of amps anyway (increase voltage and drop KV or prop size to get desired speed with more efficiency). 8s max voltage and 75A max amperage should be plenty for what I want.

Charger and balancer: I have a Hyperion 1210I and 2 LBA10 balancers, my bases are covered as far as charging.

$200 Budget: That was just a number that I tossed out that I would like to stay around but I think to get a reliable, efficient setup I'm going to have to toss that out and go with $300-$400 for motor, ESC, and lipo.

Other: Will the stock reinforcing rods be OK or should I get some Carbon Fiber tube?

I was going to get 4 3/8" Neodymium magnets and hot glue them onto the nose and the front of the airframe to hold the nose on but be able to break away in a crash, will that be strong enough to hold up to high speed aerobatics?

What should I do for a battery hold-down? For now I have burned a hole through the foam with my soldering gun and fed a cynch strap through it but it looks tacky and undoubtedly causes some drag but my batteries are too big to fit under a stock canopy and it seems my hardware store only carries the weak velcro that doesn't hold anything still and the 3M Dual Lock which rips off the fuselage before it actually detaches from itself.

How heavy can I go with new parts (batteries in particular) before wing-loading becomes an issue?
Unsullied_Spy is offline Find More Posts by Unsullied_Spy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Now that the motor mounts are done, is anybody eyeing an outrunner from Hobbycity to run on 4S with an 8" prop?? Hmm....
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Now that the motor mounts are done, is anybody eyeing an outrunner from Hobbycity to run on 4S with an 8" prop?? Hmm....
I just ordered mine, I plan to test out the Turnigy 2836 2350kv Outrunner on it just to see if it fits. On 4s this motor will most likely only want a 6" prop though. I will post about it when I get the mount in the mail
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:47 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Or do you mean a 35mm?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:02 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Or do you mean a 35mm?
I'm thinking a 35mm, or a 36mm ARC inrunner.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
ARC 36-55-1.5 = 0.014 (1850KV)

I wonder what diameter prop this thing could take on 4S
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I'm about to drop a scorpion 3026-1400 into one of my L bracket mounts

We'll see if big outrunners explode when you stick a prop on them!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
bongo fury
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post

So you would use a 5 cell lipo with an 8" or 7" prop? Sounds like a weapon of mass MPH!!!!
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:21 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
So you would use a 5 cell lipo with an 8" or 7" prop? Sounds like a weapon of mass MPH!!!!

This is uncharted territory, so the concept may not even be there. Or it may turn out woefully inefficient. Or a great way to rid the motor bell of its magnets.

Calculations suggest 7" props on 7s and 6.5" props on 8s. 2500-3000 watts.

Need a new esc for 8S. Come on tax refund!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,862 Posts
murdnunoc,

I don't know if you have bought the motor already or not, I looked around a bit and saw the following:

HK-3026-1400 , 7 o.z., has 1680W rating

HK-4020-1390, 10 o.z., has 1890W rating ( 12.5%=1/8 higher)
It will have a better chance of surviving and will perform better too, for extra $23 (and 3 o.z.)

I look forward to your A, W, RPM data on your next motor.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:35 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,862 Posts
Hi all; check this out:

Field Link Portable Programmer $23

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/field_link.html

Programs your controllers without a computer (mostly).
Works as a standard Castle Link USB adapter with your computer.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:19 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
murdnunoc,

I don't know if you have bought the motor already or not, I looked around a bit and saw the following:

HK-3026-1400 , 7 o.z., has 1680W rating

HK-4020-1390, 10 o.z., has 1890W rating ( 12.5%=1/8 higher)
It will have a better chance of surviving and will perform better too, for extra $23 (and 3 o.z.)

I look forward to your A, W, RPM data on your next motor.

Gryphon
Just pulled it out of the mail box a few minutes ago!

I went with the 1400 instead of the 1600 because it has way better efficiency. The heli guys complain about it because it's a "battery killer" but those in the know see that as being more efficient, and generating more power! (Tool Man grunt!)

Truth told, I didn't even look at the 40 series. Figured the 200g for the 500 size was enough. Also, I have the nagging fear in the back of my head that it's going to instantly destroy itself once it has a prop bolted to it at 30K RPM. If this happens on this 30 series size, it'll sure happen on the 40 series, with an even more massive bell and magnets whipping around the stator. So I'm starting small.

And if I need more power, well... we all know what to do...

I still don't have my data logger, but I'll be doing my best to get RPM from Hyperdyne's analysis.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post

WOW your putting a almost 7 ounce plane on that lil stryker how you going to blance it? Why you guys going so huge with this plane? i would look at the HK motors. unless you just want to run high cell count for a reason?
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
WOW your putting a almost 7 ounce plane on that lil stryker how you going to blance it? Why you guys going so huge with this plane? i would look at the HK motors. unless you just want to run high cell count for a reason?
Yep, it is about doubling the weight of a normal 480 size motor. I've been running a 5.6oz motor for a while, though, so it's not that big a difference on my setup. The balance issue with the weight on the tail gets more than taken care of with the heavy batteries (over a pound). I've actually been running with everything crammed as far aft as I can to achieve a good CG, so it's a relief to have some help with added weight on the tail.

The question of WHY?
Ever seen the jet powered 18 wheeler at the air show or drag strip?

It's not because it's the most efficient way to go fast, or the cheapest, or the most relaxing. It's none of these. But it's the challenge, and the satisfaction of pushing the limits, and if something blows up, satisfaction comes from learning what not to do.

High voltage/low amps is a preference for me. You can just as well get the power needed to go fast with low voltage/high amps, as long as the power gets to the prop, and the prop does an efficient job of hurling the chunk of foam to the horizon.

By HK motors do you mean the HK Scorpion series? The motor I got is the HK3026-1400, from T-rex 500 helis. Or do you mean HobbyKing motors? I've looked at their similar size ones, but they don't list any resistance specs so it's hard to determine the quality of the motor. Their Typhoon 500 size might be a winner, but the only way to tell is to try one. That may be coming soon, too, if I get a 500 heli , and its motor may just find its way onto the Stryker.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,822 Posts
murdnunoc,

Thanks for the reply sorry, I meant the Scorpion HK ment the 22 series HK ones. I am about to test one. Hope it does well we will see hope it be here start next week so get to testing it.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc