HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:20 AM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
Detroit (area), MI
Joined Mar 2004
923 Posts
Thanks for the input crusher. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I've been flying deltas for a couple-few years now and have made my own as well. I just can't stop hearing about the Funjet and the Stryker, and the kid at the LHS was REALLY trying to talk me into a stryker the other day. It's very considerable for its cost, I was thinking, but wanted to check into it a bit more first and see if you really do get what you pay for in comparison with the FJ.

With such limited time (desire) to build anymore it was very enticing to see that F-27 just 20 minutes away from flying (including drive time to my house to get my receiver - hahah). But as I as I said, I already have a few wings, and if I'm not going to gain anything over my current selection with a stock Stryker, without modifying it, why even spend the money... hmmm. Ok, so thanks again, have a great day. Happy Flying!
philosophicle_1 is offline Find More Posts by philosophicle_1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:36 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
philosophicle_1, If you already have gear to get one flying just buy a Stryker fuse for a grand total of around $40 and put your own elects in it.

Hobbyzone.com has all the parts available. If I had it to do over I would not buy the Parkzone elects. They are not bad for the price but you will end up replacing the servos within a few tough landings. Motor/ESC are not underpowered at all... but just not real FAST.

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:43 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
For those of you who purchased a regular F-27B Stryker or the kit (with all the parts), and installed c/f spars, how did you go about removing those flimsy stock spars? I'd like to get them out of there so that I can replace with c/f, but am not sure how to do so without really destroying the wings. Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Apr 28, 2007, 09:14 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
There not embeded into the wing very deep, run a razor knife held at 45 deg. along each side, dont cut too deep, just enough to cut to the bottom of the spar.
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:12 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
PNP Antenna

I just got my PNP Stryker today, along with a Berg 4L receiver. I see tha there is an antenna already installed in the plane. Should I solder that to my receiver or try to route the Berg's antenna through the channel? I'd rather go with the first option because routing the antenna would involve taking off tape which may remove paint. Also, where is the best location inside the Stryker for the receiver?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Last edited by Rocketman1092; Apr 29, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 07:17 AM
Member:Over the Bars Club
Blue Ridge Va
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
I need a Tx and Rx for my F-27C and J250 powered StormLauncher. I got a new speed control from Parkzone, but the first two are on backorder. Its hard to tell when they will be back in stock.

Just looking for something durable & cheap that will do the trick. Be a long time before I can justify a DX7. Any recommendations or some old gear someone wants to see put to good use?
DualSportRider is offline Find More Posts by DualSportRider
Old Apr 30, 2007, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
For those of you who purchased a regular F-27B Stryker or the kit (with all the parts), and installed c/f spars, how did you go about removing those flimsy stock spars? I'd like to get them out of there so that I can replace with c/f, but am not sure how to do so without really destroying the wings. Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
Phantom5.0 helped me with this. Here're his pix:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=70444

Phantom5.0, I hope you don't mind I'm sharing this.
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:56 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
I have had several of both....

FunJet = faster, more stable at high speeds, easier to adjust thrust line, ~2X the cost of the Stryker, very stable at ~22-24 oz but can be built light with small outrunners and still have great performance, Elapor (foam) is stiffer than Stryker and IME takes paint better, runs fine with HS-55 servos, great designed in cooling for battery-ESC & motor. Few parts available so if it breaks you generally buy another. Generally considered to be a "foam delta wing done right" (Multiplex must have been reading the Stryker threads and designed in from the beginning all the things we mod into our Strykers)

Stryker = cheap if made from parts which are readily available, comes in "just add Rx & battery" as well as RTF versions, sort of an "open source" design so it is highly amenable to being hot rodded, more draggy airframe than the FJ (takes more watts to do a given speed) but the fuse/wings can be easily thinned and trimmed, IME it is tougher and harder to hurt in a crash, 1/2 cost of FJ, needs HS-65 or HS-81MG servos (the 55's strip out), foam elevons can get soft over time (but easily replaced with balsa), foam is sort of rough and needs to be filled with light weight spackle prior to painting, did I say cheaper?, needs added wing reinforcement or they get U shaped over time. Lots of bang for the buck and can be made into almost anything you want with easy and well documented mods.

If you are new to deltas then I would go with a Stryker first since it is harder to break and costs less when you do. When you get the need for speed, you can hop it up. After your skills and tuning ability get better, then move to the more $ JF with a hot motor and fly the wings off it.

FC
well put!
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:05 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
Any epoxied spar is easily removed with fine copper wire. loop it around, and use it the same way a commando would garrotte' with wire like in the old war movies. (Did I spell that right?)
I leave them in, and add spar at the rear. needs support more towards the back.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
Holy ___ there's 2 of 'em
Spokane
Joined Aug 2005
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvo
Phantom5.0 helped me with this. Here're his pix:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=70444

Phantom5.0, I hope you don't mind I'm sharing this.
Nope- no problem. Hope it can help people out! As far as cutting- Mike is right, just a razor down each side. I just ran it in deep enough to break the glue, then gently popped it out. I used my stock ones for reinforcement through the electronics bay and a few short sticks by the engine mount. At least put it to some good use that way.

P5
Phantom5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom5.0
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:38 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
1/2 cost of FJ,

I dont know about that, A Stryker replacement airframe is 20 bucks, but add in the motor mount, hatches, ailerons, ect. and it add's up to 50!

About the same price as a FunJet!
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:42 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the spar removal. I wound up deciding to leave them in, but added a c/f spar to the back, so that it runs underneath the motor mount, where the extra strength is needed. I also cut along side the stock spars on the wings, and added some Sumo glue on top of the spar, then glued down a piece of c/f flat bar to each side in order to add extra strength to the wings. I plan on using fiberglass tape along the spars on the bottom to really strengthen things up once the Stryker is nearly finished.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Apr 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,584 Posts
Control Throws and Exponential

I've just set up the control throws for my PNP Stryker. Are the reccomended control throws for the elevons (9mm u/d low rates and 12mm u/d for high rates) good? If not, feel free to share your throw settings. Also, should I add any exponential?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
I started there. It flew just fine.

I then maxed it out and added -30% Expo. Was much more fun!

Good Luck!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
Pocatello Idaho
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Just me but Im not a fan of using exponential.
protarget88 is offline Find More Posts by protarget88