HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:57 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
Thanks, Gryphon.

Yes, I'd intended to leave the original motor mount off, til I saw I was going to have trouble balancing it. I figured it should help stiffen up the back end, but it's probably not needed. It might be useful as a hook to hang it up with though. Maybe I'll just grind off the lugs that the motor attached to, and leave the hoop. It can stay as it is til I've flown it anyway.

If I do add rudders, I might use one small servo per fin, rather than having a big stiff linkage between them. In that case, I won't need any more weight on the tail than the servos and other bits. I guess I could adjust the CG by replacing some of those motor mount screws with nylon bolts.

I forgot to mention; I cut longer, shallower, channels for the servo bays in the top of the wing so they can move full throw. I might not want that much throw but I don't like the idea of servos being able to jam on something. It's not good for the servo, and it draws a lot of current from the BEC when it happens.

I've read a few complaints about the E-Flite ESCs in Trojans catching fire. I bought a Trojan at the same time (still not quite ready to "Plug and Play" yet due to poor build quality). They both have the same ESC, which apparently only has a 700mA BEC. The one in the Stryker doesn't have so many servos to drive but I'm replacing both to be on the safe side.

There's now a 30A KEDA ESC (Jeti Advance clone), which has a 2A BEC, in the Stryker and the Trojan will probably get one too. The battery wires on the E-Flite ESCs look far too thin for the 30A they're rated for. I'll save those for smaller planes.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:04 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Andy2No,

If your transmitter and receiver allows you to run (2) separate ch's for the (2) different rudder servos, you could also flip an extra switch to make them move backwards of each other for AIR BRAKE.

Little bit of programming to have free airbrake....Oh yeah.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:52 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Andy2no,

I thought to post these picures as they may be helpful to you for adding Rudders to your Stryker.

I used the same 30 amp ESC that comes with the PNP planes you mentioned for a while with no problems. The Stryker in these pictures was my last one (retired for a stronger faster build) and pulled ~38 amps static on a fresh battery. As long as the ESC was kept cool (I mounted it outside as you can see in the pics) it handled the load with 4 servos just fine. I got my Dad the PZ Corsair PNP and again, the ESC works fine in his application that is nearly identical to the Trojan, in warm California weather.

As far as the Rudders go, I never did program the Airbrakes like Gryphon Mentioned, though I would have liked to. I made my Rudders 1" wide, and they were not as effective as I wanted. If I was doing it again, I would go for 1.5" or greater. It may work better in your application as it will be lighter overall than mine Stryker was. Good luck with your mod.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,811 Posts
Gryphon,

Yes, I'd thought the same thing, and my Tx is a Multiplex MC3030 so it can do it easily. I also thought it would be a good excuse for using two servos where one would have done

ender707,

Thanks for the pics, and the tips about the rudder size. That's very useful. A big surface moving a smaller distance is always better so I'll go with huge rudders if I do that. I'm very tempted. I'm glad to see you used two servos. It does seem like the easiest solution, having seen your pictures.

I tend to do little bits on different planes rather than finishing one and starting on another so I decided to try hard to get this one airborne, then finish the Trojan before carrying on with my usual random building.

I'm fairly confident that it'll fly as it is, so I'll stop fiddling with it for a while.

I've just had to take one of the servo arms off to align it properly. I bent a cheap screwdriver to a right angle to do it. The servos have lots of splines so it's possible to line them up very accurately, but the factory had just slapped it together, with a good 20 degrees difference between the horns when they're centered. The servos weren't lined up with the pits properly either, which is what started me on cutting them bigger.

I think I'll add some Solartrim to the outside of the fins tonight, then fly it tomorrow or Friday, weather permitting.

It's nice to hear the stock ESCs are usable. I thought of changing the battery leads for thicker gauge wire, but I decided it was easier to just put in ESCs I trust and save those for something else. I'm toying with the idea of building a twin at some point (not sure what airframe yet) so they'll be useful for that. I'll probably only want about 10A-12A per motor so I'll be more confident in them. I could always use them with a separate BEC too.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
491 Posts
I will be doing the rudder thing as well,as soon as i get a new airframe!thanks for the tips
mattox is offline Find More Posts by mattox
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
16/40/x

Behold,

3000W MEGA 28mm anyone?

Post #953

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...39/key_/tm.htm

Gryphon
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:53 PM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
491 Posts
can you paint a stryker with krylon paint?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:42 PM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
491 Posts
alright i got some paint from the rc store,I got ruby red metalic,and artic blue metalic i am going to be doing a american flag on the top and a us airforce enblum on the bottom!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:10 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Behold,

3000W MEGA 28mm anyone?

Post #953

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...39/key_/tm.htm

Gryphon
Just let me know when I can contact new creations to get one. They will be available with a 3.17mm shaft aswell correct?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:35 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
gundamnitpete,

Yeah both shaft size options available when ordering.

Motor will be built after your order.

Which KV range are you interested in?

Gryphon
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:04 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
2000-2200 is good for 10-12S, but I can very cell count to allow the use of different kv's ( the nice thing about edfs having fixed pitch )

I could use anything from 2000 kv to about 3100 kv.

A 2700-2800 kv would be nice, as I could use 8S, and I have lots
of 4S 3200 bateries.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:05 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Mainly I would say the 2000-2200 kv range is what I am after though, lol
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:42 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
gundamnitpete,

If you can get closer to 2300KV, then 16/40/1.5R with good resistance too.

Gryphon
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
Hey dudes, assuming motor, prop, and battery are correctly matched, what do you think about these ESC's? The CC ICE 50 has "data logging" it says. Does that interface with eagle tree and co-pilot equipment?

Also where do you get that mesh tape I see being used to hold down various covers and such on top of strykers? Thanks for your help!
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:40 PM
Microbursts hurt.
United States, MD, Mt Airy
Joined Jun 2005
195 Posts
Hey all,

Been away for a bit, digging the stryker out of the basement, and weather is warmer - finally! - and getting back into it. I have been flying it fast and fun on a Mega 16/15/4, nice balanced APC 6x4 pusher, CC PHX35 ESC with FMA 3S 2100mah pack... but want more. I have some 4s packs (FMA Revolectrix Red Label 2100mah). Will it be much faster?

I have the tape, CF rods, Spektrum AR7000 RX, MG servos, etc. and can move batt a bit and get same CG, so no worries there. So mostly making sure no issue with my power system dropping in the 4S vs. 3S for some additional speed.,... and hoping it will be faster. Or, do I need to reprop, or change something if going 4S?

Oh, forgot to mention, have a 16/15/5 & 16/15/3 as well in boxes, but would need to solder up connectors.... just anxious to drop a 4S in and go tomorrow and making sure I won't cook something.

Thanks!
Joshua
jknust is online now Find More Posts by jknust
Last edited by jknust; Jan 15, 2010 at 06:47 PM.