Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:17 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
This isn't Stryker related, but motor related so I was hoping you motor gurus could help me track a motor down.

Right now I'm using an HET 2W-30 on 11S in a 70mm fan for about 3000 watts, seen here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170450

I've heard the HET motors are copies of mega motors, so
I was wondering which mega motor has similar specs? I figure the mega can take
more than the HET.

This motor is around 2200 kv 28x53, weighs about 140 g

is there any other mega with a kv near 2000-2200? It needs to be very, very long

thanks!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:58 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Thats why I launch without power untill the Stryker clears the bungee and string
We tried that with stock Strykers and even with the prop brake on, the prop still turned in the wind as soon as the plane started moving. Not sure if that's a deficiency of the stock motor or ESC, or what, but we weren't successful until we moved the release ring up forward of the prop.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:14 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
This isn't Stryker related, but motor related so I was hoping you motor gurus could help me track a motor down.

Right now I'm using an HET 2W-30 on 11S in a 70mm fan for about 3000 watts, seen here:

more than the HET.

is there any other mega with a kv near 2000-2200? It needs to be very, very long

thanks!
The Mega 16/30/2 is the closest match for your 2W-30. Expect slightly more power and current draw due to 20 point higher KV and lower resistance, both of which will give you higher RPM.

For even a little more, the 16/35/1.5RC would give the ability for maybe an additional cell.

I don't have the experience with EDFs to state what motor could run how many cells, but my guess would be same cells, more power on the 16/30/2, and one more cell, more power on the 16/35/1.5RC.

Good reports have come from http://www.newcreations-rc.com/aboutus.aspx to get these big Megas. If they don't have one in stock, they can order. Probably best to call them on the phone and make sure all is clear for just what you're ordering, stating KV and shaft size. Mega's nomenclature has caused some confusion recently.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:44 AM
//----\\
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
676 Posts
Quote:

more than the HET.

thanks!
What is the full throttle RPM of your EDF?
Coil is offline Find More Posts by Coil
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:02 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,697 Posts
Slightly off topic

Dudes whjo run a lot of different motors...

I'm starting to get the "slipping" sound out of one or two of my inrunners. I used to get this sound out of one of my turnigy motors. What is this? It sounds like the motor has been disconnected for a fraction of a second or that a gear is slipping as you accelerate in a car.

I'm wondering if this is a defect or that I am pushing it too hard?

It is happening on 3S with an ARC 28-48-1.5 and a 6x4 gas prop.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:51 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Johnny,
Any way you could video or tape that sound ??

It might be your relatively small battery crying from the stress you have been putting on it. Considering how you see the 6x4 sport prop as running faster than the 6x5.5E, I would suggest a bigger battery could eithor make the noise go away, or seal its doomed fate if it is a motor problem
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:06 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Dudes whjo run a lot of different motors...

I'm starting to get the "slipping" sound out of one or two of my inrunners. I used to get this sound out of one of my turnigy motors. What is this? It sounds like the motor has been disconnected for a fraction of a second or that a gear is slipping as you accelerate in a car.

I'm wondering if this is a defect or that I am pushing it too hard?

It is happening on 3S with an ARC 28-48-1.5 and a 6x4 gas prop.
Two things I've seen cause this:

First is a shaft that's slipping inside the rotor/magnet inside the motor. This is more common on 2 pole motors like the Turnigy. The ARC motors have shafts that are very well secured.

Second and probably more common is a loose or cold solder joint on a bullet connector. Strip the heat shrink off all connectors an check them. If there's no visual problem, resolder all six connectors and see of the problem is fixed.

Damage like a shorted motor winding is possible. But worth it to check the fixable stuff first.

EDIT: Also what Mopar said.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:16 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Two things I've seen cause this:

First is a shaft that's slipping inside the rotor/magnet inside the motor. This is more common on 2 pole motors like the Turnigy. The ARC motors have shafts that are very well secured.

Second and probably more common is a loose or cold solder joint on a bullet connector. Strip the heat shrink off all connectors an check them. If there's no visual problem, resolder all six connectors and see of the problem is fixed.

Damage like a shorted motor winding is possible. But worth it to check the fixable stuff first.

EDIT: Also what Mopar said.
Thanks guys I will check it out.

As for the battery, they are 3S 3300 30C and 4S 3300 30C, so ther eshould be no problem there.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:46 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
The Mega 16/30/2 is the closest match for your 2W-30. Expect slightly more power and current draw due to 20 point higher KV and lower resistance, both of which will give you higher RPM.

For even a little more, the 16/35/1.5RC would give the ability for maybe an additional cell.

I don't have the experience with EDFs to state what motor could run how many cells, but my guess would be same cells, more power on the 16/30/2, and one more cell, more power on the 16/35/1.5RC.

Good reports have come from http://www.newcreations-rc.com/aboutus.aspx to get these big Megas. If they don't have one in stock, they can order. Probably best to call them on the phone and make sure all is clear for just what you're ordering, stating KV and shaft size. Mega's nomenclature has caused some confusion recently.
Thanks alot! Higher voltage and less amperage is always better to me, so I will most likely try the 1.5RC

thanks again!
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:47 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukalo View Post
What is the full throttle RPM of your EDF?
About 70,000
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:20 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Thanks alot! Higher voltage and less amperage is always better to me, so I will most likely try the 1.5RC

thanks again!
Pete,
Keep in mind that since the motors are the same KV, adding a cell WILL increase amperage as well.

If you stay with 11S, the Mega 16/30/2 will pull more RPM and AMPS than the HET 2W-30, and the Mega 16/35/1.5RC will pull more RPM and AMPS than both. Again, that's all staying the same voltage.

More efficient motors spin faster under load than less efficient ones, so they pull more AMPS.

The Mega 1.5 will be able to handle not only the additional AMPS from spinning faster, but should handle the additional AMPS brought by adding a cell.

Again, I don't know EDFs well enough to make a judgement on the difference a cell makes. On props it's easy, since you can just drop an inch in diameter or pitch.

You could go with the 1.5 on 11S, and if it does well, go 12S. But your AMPS will go up in either case.

Just don't want you to run into higher amps than you were expecting based on my unclear advice!
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:53 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Pete,
Keep in mind that since the motors are the same KV, adding a cell WILL increase amperage as well.

If you stay with 11S, the Mega 16/30/2 will pull more RPM and AMPS than the HET 2W-30, and the Mega 16/35/1.5RC will pull more RPM and AMPS than both. Again, that's all staying the same voltage.

More efficient motors spin faster under load than less efficient ones, so they pull more AMPS.

The Mega 1.5 will be able to handle not only the additional AMPS from spinning faster, but should handle the additional AMPS brought by adding a cell.

Again, I don't know EDFs well enough to make a judgement on the difference a cell makes. On props it's easy, since you can just drop an inch in diameter or pitch.

You could go with the 1.5 on 11S, and if it does well, go 12S. But your AMPS will go up in either case.

Just don't want you to run into higher amps than you were expecting based on my unclear advice!
Apparently i miss understood, I thought you meant the 1.5RC had a slightly lower KV, thus needing another cell for the same power.

I will most likely go with the 30/2 in this case, as staying on 10S would make things easy. Do you think it would survive bursts up to 85 amps and 3kw? Keep in mind I'm no stranger to high power, and WOT is used very little.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:54 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Apparently i miss understood, I thought you meant the 1.5RC had a slightly lower KV, thus needing another cell for the same power.

I will most likely go with the 30/2 in this case, as staying on 10S would make things easy. Do you think it would survive bursts up to 85 amps and 3kw? Keep in mind I'm no stranger to high power, and WOT is used very little.
Just FYI.
The Mega 16-35-1.5SC is around 2200 to 2300 kv.
The Mega 16-35-1.5RC is around 2700k/v

So the SC = slower k/v

I own the 16-35-1.5RC and it is the higher k/v per my Eagle tree k/v tests and from talking to Gryphon.
(My brother has the Mega 16-35-2C 1840 k/v and it can handle higher voltage I am pushing it around 125 amps)
Stryker Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stryker Flyer
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:14 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
The 35-1.5SC looks good, where can I find one?
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:15 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Flyer View Post
(My brother has the Mega 16-35-2C 1840 k/v and it can handle higher voltage I am pushing it around 125 amps)
Good Golly !!! Thats ALOT of power !!!
How many cells @ 125 amps ???
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway