to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2009, 03:02 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
What would you do for an ESC in that situation? I know the CC180 is good for a little extra (heck, i've read of 400+ amps in 3 second bursts), but even that would seem marginal for long runs at 250+ amps!
The CC HV would solve it all, except for my motor selection as of now.

For now, I dont plan on running over 250 amps, so parallel is definately a necessidy, even if not cresting 250 amps. Remember, I dont need 2 identical packs for parallel, just identical mAH and "OVERALL" C rating for series. The calculator has been getting its buttons worn off and this leaves the doors WAY open for some very "out of the box" thinking.........The MOPAR way !!!

Still no decisions............ (heck, even if I did decide, I just might NOT let anyone know untill I fly and see how things turned out !!)
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:55 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway
Stryker Flier is correct on the Loctite.
I do NOT run any lockwashers though, as they tend to crack the tabs.
Key is to tighten with only 2 fingers, then allow the Loctite to set-up before flying. This keeps those pesky tabs from breaking.

There is a motor mount design being worked out now, just about ready for release, but still in R&D phase. Stand by a few more weeks and lets see what we can come up with, till then, even I must stick with those pesky stock mounts !!!

Well I put some nice big washers on my stock mount to help reinforce the screw tabs. I strapped a KDA 2300kv motor on it and gave it a shot. 45 secs. into the flight something went terribly wrong. Im not sure what came loose, but my stryker just took a 90 degree turn and nose dived from about 50 feet.

I got 4 months out of that wing, sucks though because the airframes are backordered.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:37 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
What ESC and BEC did you have in it?
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 04, 2009, 01:08 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
... sucks though because the airframes are backordered.

They're in stock here: Graves RC
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:25 AM
aspiring 3D Killer
PDX
Joined Jun 2005
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Well I put some nice big washers on my stock mount to help reinforce the screw tabs. I strapped a KDA 2300kv motor on it and gave it a shot. 45 secs. into the flight something went terribly wrong. Im not sure what came loose, but my stryker just took a 90 degree turn and nose dived from about 50 feet.

I got 4 months out of that wing, sucks though because the airframes are backordered.
I feel for ya, been there done that, check out coyote hobby I know for a fact that Russ has three fusealages in his back room
www.coyotehobby.com
bentwing is offline Find More Posts by bentwing
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:27 AM
aspiring 3D Killer
PDX
Joined Jun 2005
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
The Kid, I just weighed Shake and Bake.
13.0160919594024 = 369 grams.
I think I don't need to sand any more!
mmmmmmm Shake and Bake.....Al your makin me hungry
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:43 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
I was stalking around the part 8 build thread this morning while attempting to not do homework, and I came across some shots of peoples propellor stashes. Mostly notably was gryphons (quite impressive I might add Gryphon!). So this inspired me to capture some images of our "neccessities" and share them.

Of note should be two things
1) No prop was photographed twice
2) ALL props have been balanced to ensure vibration-free running

Doctor Audio has inspired me to incorporate my next build with C/F, so I took a picture of some of our stock as well. It should be enough to cover the stryker a couple times over Anyone want to take target practice, lol
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:33 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
The Kid:
On my next one I will use this stuff on the leading edges.

4.7 oz. 80/20 Carbon Fiber/S-glass Fabric 38" (per Yd.

Then I will wet it with epoxy and squeegee it then lat it on the leading edges. So you have to let it slow cure!
I am sure you know of this technique!
later
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:38 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
I was stalking around the part 8 build thread this morning while attempting to not do homework,
Kid,
Stalking around part 8 is a good thing !!!!!
Also good is that NOW I know whom to turn to when I start on my NITRO endeavers !!!!

You 2 (Gryphon and You) are just about at the point where I need to take pictures of all of my props too !!!!

****NICE STASH !!!!!!!!! ****
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:00 PM
aspiring 3D Killer
PDX
Joined Jun 2005
100 Posts
Last edited by bentwing; Oct 04, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Doc, you should go with the 22/30/2! 6s and a 6.5x6.5 or better should see you and Shake and Bake to some silly high speeds!

Mopar, you should stick with the E-stuff. Nitro is too messy. Unfortunately for us its like 72 Mhz, at this point we're in too deep to get out (Thats what she said, for those that get the joke).

Although, now that I think about it...A Stryker with a OS.15DF could probably do alright. It should turn a 6x4 at ~32k. That would be good for just over 100, right?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 04, 2009, 12:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,828 Posts
DoctorAudio,

I don't like that motor's overall specs (22/20/3)...even though it is a MEGA.
Edit: It is great compared to many motors from China.

For almost any case you can make, I should be able to point you to a better MEGA motor with minor price difference.

If interested, I can help you in some PMs.

p.s. I do have a 22/30/2 for one of my Strykers.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Oct 04, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:19 PM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Hey all finally did the maiden of the Aurora and I have to say I was impressed with the first flight. I didn't use the bungee instead I chose to hand launch and it was almost a bad idea it took quite a bit of arm power to get it up speed before she started to fly.No trimming out was nessarry as the elevons were set up dead true to the inboard and outboard surfaces of the wing and she flew perfectly just like that,launch mood was set at 25% up elevons.I don't want to speculate on how fast she was I think I will be able to get a video of it in the next few days and post it all I will say is it hauls a*# and is rock solid in terms of flight charicteristics and landed at about 20-25mph.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Last edited by blanik213; Oct 04, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2009, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,828 Posts
blanik213,

Congratulations my friend......I'm soooooo happy for you.

Your Plane is not only a work of art; it is also full of high tech details, more than anyone knows.

Bravo, you deserve a standing ovation.

I know it'll be a matter of days before you say: "I WANT EVEN MORE POWER"

When you do; YOU ARE MINE

I look forward to your future posts.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU