SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:51 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
Yes!
I have too many projects going on as usual.
But I am looking a something in the 36MM range for this.
I will be testing some other motors soon.
The motor I am looking at runs a 2000KV and it will be more like 2080KV but it will be able to spin a 7" prop. Just looking for about 1500 watts, spinning a 7".
But if not I will be calling the speed daddy, and seeing what he can get me cheaper.
The only problem with running a 36MM motor is finding the rite mount.
I may end up running a clamshell mount just to be able to run it.
What's the weight of your Stryker murdnunoc? Does it have the servos in it?
I am comparing weight now. I try to do everything to minimize weight and maximize strength.
Thank's for asking.
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:04 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
Prof100:
I don't know where commonsense rc in our need for speed. But I did look at your new motor. I would be willing to buy one if you guys come up with some thing for us. By the way are you guys going to come out with a 36MM motor now?
Something that can run a 4S or 5S, and pull like 75 amps which should be in the 1500 watts area.
That would fit the build I am looking at rite now.
I do have two of your guys motors and they work great.
Lets see what you guys can come up with in the next few months.
Please.
I know tall order. If I could build motors I would build one in that range.
Plus I would build a stick mount to hold it in place. I love stick mount because you can get the motor in the air stream easy.

Thank you for reading.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:20 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
Simulating a 4S or 5S 3600Mah battery.

30C @ 3600 should put at 108 amps continuous.
That is top secret, don't tell no one. I may have to kill you!
Hahaha, I am just joking guys.
But there is room for that now!
Shake and Bake is at 14-oz now I have sanded off 1 1/6 oz off it
Build lite to fly, strong to go fast!
Last edited by DoctorAudio; Oct 01, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:25 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Doc,
I haven't done any weighing yet, but I can tomorrow. For comparison of covering methods, tell me what you want included in the weight. I haven't constructed elevons yet so can't include them. But I can put servos and nose cone on. It'll for sure be a few days till I can get an AUW with elevons and paint, but I'll weigh what I can tomorrow for you.

Your power system sounds promising. Have you considered an angle bracket type mount for your motor? They're easy to fab up from some aluminum angle stock.

Now is the time to think about CG with your batteries. With it in the location you have it now, it'll wins up about 1 1/4" ahead of the stock CG location. Some like running this far forward to counter nose-up. I've had success with about 1/2" forward CG with no nose-up to 130+mph. I adjust for nose up with thrust angle, but things may change over 140mph, so I'll hold off final verdicts till I bust that.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:36 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc
Watch your back for more than Mopar
I am SOOOOOOOO happy that there is some competition happening, but one little thing...................The Kid (and everyone else) is looking at MY back !!!!!!! (Sometimes bragging rights are fun !! )
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:50 AM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,227 Posts
Just a failed attempt at glassing. I have a buddy that's gonna help me on my new one. My problem was having it be clean and not frayed on the leading edges and wherever I ended the strip of glass
Twister773 is offline Find More Posts by Twister773
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:56 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
Murdnunoc: If you can just weigh you nose, mount and servos. That would be a good comparison. I am not done sanding I haven't done the top section yet but I am sure I can get another half oz off it before I start working on anything else!

As for the CG, I am sure I will get that about 3/4 of an inch ahead of where the stock CG should be. The bigger motor should help with balance. I know that a plane that doesn't need positive or negative reflex is important to going as fast as possible.

I haven't figured out what I am going to do about mounting the hatch to the fuse yet either. Magnets are my favorite. But they will add more weight then needed. So, maybe I will steal the RC car idea , i have used before but it will be a wait and see.
If the hatches come out rite, I can use the stock design idea. Which I think is the best way for now!
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:00 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
Moparmyway, I have had bragging rites.

So let's not run anyone off, just yet. I hate sneaking into the bed!
Hahahahahah!
Peace out!
Last edited by DoctorAudio; Oct 01, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:47 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
Prof100:
I don't know where commonsense rc in our need for speed. But I did look at your new motor. I would be willing to buy one if you guys come up with some thing for us. By the way are you guys going to come out with a 36MM motor now?
Something that can run a 4S or 5S, and pull like 75 amps which should be in the 1500 watts area.
That would fit the build I am looking at rite now.
I do have two of your guys motors and they work great.
Lets see what you guys can come up with in the next few months.
Please.
I know tall order. If I could build motors I would build one in that range.
Plus I would build a stick mount to hold it in place. I love stick mount because you can get the motor in the air stream easy.

Thank you for reading.
Noted, and thanks.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:50 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Quote:
For anyone looking to do a tape job, you can greatly increase the bond strength of the tape by priming the foam's surface with 3M-77 spray adhesive.

Oh, the Kid...
Watch your back for more than Mopar
My new burner is taking shape!
Medusa 28x56mm on 6S-7S.

No doubt we'll both get our speeds smashed soon after we do anything significant, but we'll have some fun regardless! I can't wait to get back up in the air!
The 3M-77 is a great tip, and a must do on all tape builds, IMO. I like to work with it 5-10 minutes after spraying, that way its still a little tacky. Also, once done taping, I go over it with a monokote iron on low temp, this helps really sticking it down and getting any bumps out!

I can't wait to see how your plane turns out. Let the race for second place begin

Mopar, you better watch it, cause we're coming to get yah!
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:50 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway
I am SOOOOOOOO happy that there is some competition happening, but one little thing...................The Kid (and everyone else) is looking at MY back !!!!!!! (Sometimes bragging rights are fun !! )
Moparmyway,
This is of course 100% accurate. I was referring to me sneaking up on TheKid if he passes your 154 modified run.
I honestly wasn't trying to dismiss your accomplishments and I'm sorry it came out like that.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:40 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,426 Posts
changed to some really lite sandpaper and took off another half oz.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 12:54 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Moparmyway,
This is of course 100% accurate. I was referring to me sneaking up on TheKid if he passes your 154 modified run.
I honestly wasn't trying to dismiss your accomplishments and I'm sorry it came out like that.
I know Dude, just baiting the hook some more. You Dudes really gonna make me put the 164mph (full body) setup on Nemesis and run her to get a faster "modified" record ? I mean, a full bodied Stryker is now faster than any modified body..............so I guess I have some work to do, eh ??

OK !

I wish any/every - one all of the luck in the world in their own persuit of speed. Please just remember to have fun while doing it and PLEASE be carefull...........Strykers at 150+ are just really missles, so make sure to fly safe !!!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 01, 2009, 01:11 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
changed to some really lite sandpaper and took off another half oz.
At this point with all the sanding (you've written that you've removed over 1.5 oz so far), aren't you afraid you're sanding a good amount of the glass off?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 01, 2009, 01:52 PM
Bedford, Texas
Joined Mar 2004
26 Posts
Fun Jet

Hey Murdnunoc,

Are you working on the Stryker? Can you put some cooling holes on this KDA motor? Give me a call
golfdad2 is offline Find More Posts by golfdad2