HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:01 AM
WHY GROW UP?
Ninety Six,South Carolina, USA
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
It looks like you might have covered over the front vent holes. Make sure those are opened up before you fly. The battery doesn't get enough air as it is.
they are open, just don't show in pics. Thanks; Eugene
papa1931us is offline Find More Posts by papa1931us
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:57 PM
KY
Joined Aug 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa1931us
they are open, just don't show in pics. Thanks; Eugene
I see one set of vent holes opened up in the pic but if I remember correctly there are two sets of 3 vent holes. I think the forward most set are covered.
Silver Bullet is offline Find More Posts by Silver Bullet
Old Jan 03, 2007, 02:05 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I had a successful maiden of my Stryker! I was so paranoid because of a failed MicroJet maiden ~6 months ago... The Stryker is A LOT easier to launch than that thing!

I did land it in the dirt (the only runway we have) and it got scuffed a bit, but oh well. After seeing all of the nice Stryker paint jobs on this thread I'm going to paint a spare airframe down the road.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:33 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
What do you think about this Adam? I wraped mine up in packing tape and put a strip of metal tape on each wing tip. Do you think it will add any weight and affect the way it flys? It it was like tin foil.
Some weight, but remember its a propjet. Gives an energy margin to play with over EDF
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:05 PM
WHY GROW UP?
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
I see one set of vent holes opened up in the pic but if I remember correctly there are two sets of 3 vent holes. I think the forward most set are covered.
Well i found that you are absolutly correct. During the taping i guess i forgot where the holes were. I even had the skid in the wrong place. Well i cannot thank you enough. You saved my butt. And i had planned to fly it tomorrow. Thank the good Lord i posted these pics and you have a very good eye. Well thats what these forums are for , to help each other and you sure helped me. Again thanks a million.
Last edited by papa1931us; Jan 11, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:37 PM
KY
Joined Aug 2004
257 Posts
I just noticed because I've noticed that my battery comes out pretty warm even after flying moderately on a cool day. I'm thinking about opening up some passages to provide even more air flow to the battery and ESC than it gets in the stock configuration to give some margin for flights on hot days.

It probably would not have killed your battery or ESC but more ventilation is always better. Glad I could help.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Quote:
I just noticed because I've noticed that my battery comes out pretty warm even after flying moderately on a cool day. I'm thinking about opening up some passages to provide even more air flow to the battery and ESC than it gets in the stock configuration to give some margin for flights on hot days.

It probably would not have killed your battery or ESC but more ventilation is always better. Glad I could help.
I noticed that my batteries were warm after every flight today and it's been cool here in southern California (~65 degrees this morning). I'm using Impulse 2100mah 3s batteries that are supposed to be good up to 33.6 amps. I'm guessing that rating is a little optomistic!
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:17 AM
WHY GROW UP?
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Quote:

Well i have another concern. How should the brake be set? Should it be on or off? I have not tried to reprogram it. Is it set right from the factory and ready to fly?
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:22 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Well i have another concern. How should the brake be set? Should it be on or off? I have not tried to reprogram it. Is it set right from the factory and ready to fly?
It is set as "off" by default. I'd leave it in this mode, though, I don't think leaving it on would make a big difference. Good luck!
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:24 AM
WHY GROW UP?
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
It is set as "off" by default. I'd leave it in this mode, though, I don't think leaving it on would make a big difference. Good luck!
Well what happens if it lands with prop sticking down? Will it break the prop?
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:39 AM
KY
Joined Aug 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Mine is set with the brake off as they all come stock. I've never had the prop break. It just gets rotated around as the plane hits the ground. I suppose you could break a prop if everything aligned perfectly but I've had many flights with no issues. I have an Extra 300 with a 12" prop that I belly land (no gear) because my grass is just a little too tall and its never broken a prop on landing either.

If you set the brake you probably run more chance of breaking the prop since it will eventually stop in the vertical position and not move horizontal as easily upon landing.

If I remember right my prop doesn't freewheel anyway in a glide. The only reason to set the brake would be to improve glide performance but the Stryker isn't really much a glider in any case so setting the brake offers little to no advantage.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 10:25 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
I havent had the prop break, and I am running an 8&6 (bigger)
I run the brake, but remember that it just adds friction by shorting the motor and making it generate in a load when off. There isn't enough to stop the motor in a high speed dive, but once it slows it stops. Has to have less drag that way. And my Stryker isn't a sailplane, but at slow speed you may be surprised by how long she will glide, especially on thermal days!
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:02 AM
WHY GROW UP?
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Well I tried to maiden my Stryker thursday and it was short. The first three trys was at 60% to 70% throttle and it went down and scooted on the grass. The 4th try was at full throttle and it got airborn and flew straight for about 50 feet and it took a sharp turn to the right and nosed in hard and did about 7 or 8 cart wheels. Good thing it did turn right because it was headed toward the trees. I should have tried to level off but i was afraid it was going into the trees.
Well there was very little wind, but it couldn't make up it's mind which way it wanted to blow. Damage done, both hatches poped off and it put a few wrinkles in the nose and front of body, but i have made the repairs and it is ready to try again. Can any one tell me what i did wrong? Any help will be appreciated very much.
Last edited by papa1931us; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 10:19 AM
Efland, NC
Joined May 2006
455 Posts
I have had similar problems with a B I used to own, but now I have the C I love it. Basically I have found that the pre launch is all important. set the elevons to neutral setting, then limit the end points and thus travel on your servos (if you can), make sure the batt is in the right location and thus also a correct CG. If you want to, dial in a small ammount of reflex, I don't, but if you don't want to go to full throttle right after launch then you will need some reflex, if like me you go straight to full following launch, then neutral elevon settings are what you need.
Then a power off launch, don't want to catch those fingers in that C bird's prop, (bad things happen then) straight after launch throttle up. TIP; I have my flight buddy launch mine (thanks deadstik3) I have total trust in him to launch well and he must have trust in me not to throttle up before it leaves his hand, but we are old freinds of old so no probs. If you can get a trusted flight buddy to launch for you the 1st few times, the 1st climb out can be harrowing to say the least. Climb to altitude and do some simple orbitals to get used to how she flies, nothing fancy, then land, re check the bird over and re launch, repeat as desired till dark . 30pm
she climbs out great for me with neutral trims and full throttle, but I have quite some time in on delta's, if you are going for a slower throttle setting a little relfex dialed in is the way to go, which is the same for any speed based wing, as the speed increases you will have to take some reflex trimming off it and as the speed slows down put back the reflex. This can be hard to grasp so be aware that if you do go to full throttle with reflex dialed in, the stryker will climb basically until out of range, I have pushed this a few times until almost losing sight of the plane.
Well this is just my experiences that I'm passing along, I hope this helps, let me know if it helped you. Anyone else got any thoughts?
regards, Fatts
Fatts is offline Find More Posts by Fatts
Old Jan 06, 2007, 10:36 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Papa 1931, did you have any up elevon dialed in? could you be stalling? Do you have plenty of thrust, cause torque pulls to the left usually.
I am dialing in a low power setting, just enough to stay up I am throwing it with a hard follow through pitch, to insure the motor isnt near my arm and hand, and then just get it flying. After she settles, I bring in more throttle.
This plane cut my friends arm, wrist, and finger so cleanly, that he heard motor noise that sounded weird, was walking back and felt something wetr-and then the stinging started.
So be careful if you do this.
Last edited by Skonkworkstexas; Jan 06, 2007 at 11:12 AM.