HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:37 AM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
Ive decom'ed mine , its not the kind i like. so ive taken all the stuff off and using it on something better for me. yea i flew it but i wasnt pleased with it. ogt 6 others on th eboard to work with.
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Has anyone cabled the elevons out the bottom? Given a choice with 2 inch rudders, would you run one or 2 servos. Ruddes and flaps could be mixed for a dive brake. By the time you run control rods for one servo, you may have as much weight as 2 servos.
But has anybody cabled out the bottom. I like a clean top camber.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2006
33 Posts
foam crusher:

I asked the guys in our electronics workshop (I work at the University), they gave me an ampmeter. Clip-around-the-wire type. With the 6x4 I am pulling 42A, with 7x5 62A, I fried the motor with a 7x6, guess I was drawing 80< back then. Didn't measure that, because I couldn't find the prop.
The motor is rated for only 32A, however I got an awesome custom made heatsink around it - maybe I am safe at 42A for short amounts of time.

Having now no offest to left and right, the plane flies a lot nicer and rolls straigth around its axis. Got the thrust angle almost right just by trying to get the shaft pointing at the nose tip of the plane. I am starting to like this plane!

Thanks and merry Xmas!

Malte
mwdnasa is offline Find More Posts by mwdnasa
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Well, if you like adding blemishes to the plane. and you like stalled servos, run a rudder cable! You will have painful bliss.
Twin rudder servos are the way to fly!
Which is what I am about to start, after the foaming PU fills the garish hole mined out of my wing!
Point to remember!
Skonk
Besides, the rudders can be mixed for dive brakes on flap knob or switch!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:01 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdnasa
foam crusher:

I asked the guys in our electronics workshop (I work at the University), they gave me an ampmeter. Clip-around-the-wire type. With the 6x4 I am pulling 42A, with 7x5 62A, I fried the motor with a 7x6, guess I was drawing 80< back then. Didn't measure that, because I couldn't find the prop.
The motor is rated for only 32A, however I got an awesome custom made heatsink around it - maybe I am safe at 42A for short amounts of time.

Having now no offest to left and right, the plane flies a lot nicer and rolls straigth around its axis. Got the thrust angle almost right just by trying to get the shaft pointing at the nose tip of the plane. I am starting to like this plane!

Thanks and merry Xmas!
Malte:
No wonder you cooked that poor motor. Even with that 6x4 you are pushing it unless you give it some cool down time before landing and rest time between WOT spurts in the air. Inrunners really benefit from a heat sink while they are pretty useless with outrunners since the mass that gets hot is concentrated in the center of the motor and has minimal surface area.

Why not drop down to a Graupner 5.5 x 4.3 CAM prop? That would still have plenty of zip and not stress the parts.

Glad to be of help in getting your plane to fly well. Have a Joyous Winter Solstice from us Druids on the Left Coast of the USA!
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:25 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Im pertty sure I was one of the first to do the Rudder servo and I can tell you this.

#1 I used 2 mini servos from the DX6 system. (Key word being 2).

#2 If you were to use one servo the linkages would be very complex, and you would lose alot of mechanical advantage.

All the rudders realy do is let you perfect your abilitys for flying much better, this opens up the posibiblity of knife edges. Also if used correctly your turns can be so much tighter. All and all its a good mod to do. I hadent heard of anybody else doing it so I gave it a try.

Happy flying

-Dustin
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:32 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
Im pertty sure I was one of the first to do the Rudder servo and I can tell you this.

#1 I used 2 mini servos from the DX6 system. (Key word being 2).

#2 If you were to use one servo the linkages would be very complex, and you would lose alot of mechanical advantage.

All the rudders realy do is let you perfect your abilitys for flying much better, this opens up the posibiblity of knife edges. Also if used correctly your turns can be so much tighter. All and all its a good mod to do. I hadent heard of anybody else doing it so I gave it a try.

Happy flying

-Dustin
Dustin,
It may have been you that advised me earlier on. Someone told me that rudders are ineffective as built and build 2 inch rudders, so that is what I am doing.
I routed out a servo profile in the bottom, and the clevis is flush at exactly where the outboard support rib on the fuse, rudder slot is. It is outboard, as I fly an 8 inch thin APC, and the "knobs" the rudder slots astern are cut off.
Recessed into the wing on the lower and upper "knot" the rudder slots on is a Luxeonstar doide for special effects (afterburner). The rudder hinge will behind the prop, with a long throw. I will mix the rudder and flap channel, so that the rudders will both go in at the same time for a speed brake. (flap)
Rudder will just be of course rudder.
But your right, cables are a waste of time. I will stay with the 2 servo concept!
Dave
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:02 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
Dustin,
It may have been you that advised me earlier on. Someone told me that rudders are ineffective as built and build 2 inch rudders, so that is what I am doing.
I routed out a servo profile in the bottom, and the clevis is flush at exactly where the outboard support rib on the fuse, rudder slot is. It is outboard, as I fly an 8 inch thin APC, and the "knobs" the rudder slots astern are cut off.
Recessed into the wing on the lower and upper "knot" the rudder slots on is a Luxeonstar doide for special effects (afterburner). The rudder hinge will behind the prop, with a long throw. I will mix the rudder and flap channel, so that the rudders will both go in at the same time for a speed brake. (flap)
Rudder will just be of course rudder.
But your right, cables are a waste of time. I will stay with the 2 servo concept!
Dave
If you really want your rudders to be effective, I'd also add side force generators. Faster speeds will give you a better shot of holding a knife edge, because it increases the forces on the control surfaces. Keep in mind the movement of your elevons when you make these modifications, because if you just plan on clipping the vert fins, it could put the pivot point in the foam channels.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:00 PM
KY
Joined Aug 2004
257 Posts
What if you put each fin on a pivot so the entire fin pivoted when moved. That would make a 1 servo setup pretty easy. It would give a really wide range of effect too. I'm trying to imagine what the plane would do with the two fins at a 20 degree angle.

Something to think about if someone is set on adding rudder function.
Silver Bullet is offline Find More Posts by Silver Bullet
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
What if you put each fin on a pivot so the entire fin pivoted when moved. That would make a 1 servo setup pretty easy. It would give a really wide range of effect too. I'm trying to imagine what the plane would do with the two fins at a 20 degree angle.

Something to think about if someone is set on adding rudder function.

That would be crazy, but could easily be done by cutting out room for the fins to swing by the motor. Another idea is to make L shaped rudders that swing the back & top of the fin. You could get maximum surface area that way without erasing the vertical fins.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
33 Posts
foam crusher:

I got myself a 5x5 prop from my local hobby shop yesterday, read your post just now. In terms of amps it draws as much as the 6x4. Shipping from this Japanese shop is really cheap, I will order a Graupner prop and other stuff from there.
I bought yesterday another Flightpower 2150mAh Lipo. The nice thing about them is that they are 25C, 53A continuous, 86A bursts. Even if they are not quite as good as stated, I haven't come across better ones yet.

This combined heatsink-motor mount rocks. Have to dig out my cam to make a picture, however you need a wire cutting machine to machine it. At least that is the easiest.

Unfortunaltey, it is freakin windy here at the moment! AAARGH! Finally holidays and now the wind doesn't stop. Canberra is always windy, so when the local weather news mention the wind, it really means something.

Enjoy!
Malte
mwdnasa is offline Find More Posts by mwdnasa
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:17 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,100 Posts
Quote:
I got myself a 5x5 prop from my local hobby shop yesterday, read your post just now. In terms of amps it draws as much as the 6x4.
Malte: What that prop does is increase the RPM since it is smaller in diameter and increase the pitch speed so the thrust will drop and probably the current too. Sometimes the higher rpm prop will be stalled at low airframe speeds so the current really drops because it is not doing as much work moving the air. Prop tuning is a matter of finding the sweet spot of RPM, current, thrust, pitch speed and efficiency....usually by trial and error.

Quote:
Shipping from this Japanese shop is really cheap, I will order a Graupner prop and other stuff from there.
Yeah and they are fast as well as great to deal with too. They have dropped some of the items I normally purchase, but they still get lots of my $$$$.
Quote:
This combined heatsink-motor mount rocks. Have to dig out my cam to make a picture, however you need a wire cutting machine to machine it. At least that is the easiest.
That looks really slick - a combined heat sink and motor mount if you use one fore and one aft. Looks like it leaves lots of Al on the floor however. Never seen a wire cutter - you must have access to a very complete shop.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is freakin windy here at the moment! AAARGH! Finally holidays and now the wind doesn't stop. Canberra is always windy, so when the local weather news mention the wind, it really means something.
You poor lad. It must be all of 85F too. I am in California and while we don't usually complain about the weather, we have had highs in the 40's here. Dry tomorrow and Sunday with highs in the low to mid 50's, but rain on Christmas Day. Much of the center of the US has been locked in a blizzard. All six runways of Denver Airport, a hub for a major x-country carrier, has been closed for two days. At least where I am the only snow is 2 hrs drive away. Ski in the morning and surf (in a wet suit!) in the afternoon.

Lift a Fosters for me!

FC
Old Dec 23, 2006, 07:50 AM
United States, TN, Soddy-Daisy
Joined Mar 2006
403 Posts
Silver Bullet,

I got the Multiplex motor - BL 400/6D from my EZ Glider- in my Stryker now and it does pretty good. 24,000 RPM with a 5X5. So you can probably go the other way but not with the stock EZ gearbox. That 400/6D finally tore the stock GB all to hell.
Volunteer is online now Find More Posts by Volunteer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:09 AM
WHY GROW UP?
Ninety Six,South Carolina, USA
Joined Oct 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
foam crusher:

I got myself a 5x5 prop from my local hobby shop yesterday, read your post just now. In terms of amps it draws as much as the 6x4. Shipping from this Japanese shop is really cheap, I will order a Graupner prop and other stuff from there.
I bought yesterday another Flightpower 2150mAh Lipo. The nice thing about them is that they are 25C, 53A continuous, 86A bursts. Even if they are not quite as good as stated, I haven't come across better ones yet.

Unfortunaltey, it is freakin windy here at the moment! AAARGH! Finally holidays and now the wind doesn't stop. Canberra is always windy, so when the local weather news mention the wind, it really means something.

Enjoy!
Malte
How bout giving us a link to this shop.
papa1931us is offline Find More Posts by papa1931us
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa1931us
How bout giving us a link to this shop.
If you mean the Japanese shop, it was in post #434 but here it is again http://www.aircraft-world.com If you mean where he got his custom heat sink, I think some guy at Malte's work cut it for him.

FC