to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:44 PM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
Just installed my new motor; I had to order Lipos from HobbyCity anyway so I thought I'd give one of these Turnigy motors a try for $20. I upgraded to a 54 amp Castle Thunderbird as well.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4200

Here are a few shots of the nylon washer inserted into the mount, I'll take some shots of the motor mounted tomorrow...
Looks nice, good work there.
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Old Oct 01, 2008, 03:47 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Drew816,

What about the cooling air vent holes for the motor? Looks like you didn't grind that part of the plastic.

Look at the previous pictures from other guys. (last page or two).

Depending on your motor, you may not have to worry about it...and in that case disregard my post.
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 01, 2008, 09:39 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
I thought about the cooling holes, with as much air as there is crossing the back of the aircraft I'm 'hoping' that they won't be necessary and that the motor will stay cool enough but we'll see. I wanted to keep the mount as solid as possible so I didn't drill/grind any more mass off the nylon washer for more structural integrity at least at this point...

Measured out spare Nylon washer that I purchased, they're 3.25 mm thick and 28.5 mm in diameter so sand off that 0.5 on the diameter and it snaps right in. We'll see how it holds up, I'm a little nervous that this motor could be a Lipo eating monster; the EagleTree is installed and we'll see how it performs here shortly.

Happy Flying!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:05 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
UGH, first f-ugly crash toasting the F-27C. The new motor and setup seemed to be working fine, I just made a hair-brained maneuver while going downwind in high wind conditions and didn't have enough room to pull it out.

So where's the best place to order a replacement body??

The motor is extremely powerful, a little scary in fact and my EagleTree was showing some wacky numbers; up to 64.5 amps on my Thunderbird 54 ESC; YIKES! So use full throttle ONLY if you really need it for a short burst I guess is the moral of that story, and/or get a bigger ESC and stronger lipos.

Here's my EagleTree chart; I had to fiddle with the numbers to get the Prop RPM's approximate so they're not exact but probably close (and take those numbers with a grain of salt as you know how EagleTree's can be):

Old Oct 01, 2008, 05:25 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Stryker Wars

Starting on Saturday October 4, 2008, Baron's Hobbies will be hosting indoor pylon racing. The racers will be limited to a 1 ounce all up weight, and will fly 25 figure-8 laps around two pylons. Most contestants will be flying with Parkzone micro ready to fly airplanes like the Vapor. The entry fee is $10 and there will be a $50 purse awarded to the winner of the final heat. Races will be held every Saturday startng in October, registration is from 11 am untill 15 minutes before the races begin at 1pm.
For our October 4th kickoff, we are having a Fun Fly open to any and all flyers with AMA insurance. Bring your Stryker or Zagi for Combat, throw your night flyer into the mix, and come join us at this awesome flying field.

Here is a link for the google map of the area
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...16&source=embed

P.S. There will be RC helicopter night flights too.
Elvan Wilson II!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 01, 2008, 06:07 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
I thought about the cooling holes, with as much air as there is crossing the back of the aircraft I'm 'hoping' that they won't be necessary and that the motor will stay cool enough but we'll see. I wanted to keep the mount as solid as possible so I didn't drill/grind any more mass off the nylon washer for more structural integrity at least at this point...

Measured out spare Nylon washer that I purchased, they're 3.25 mm thick and 28.5 mm in diameter so sand off that 0.5 on the diameter and it snaps right in. We'll see how it holds up, I'm a little nervous that this motor could be a Lipo eating monster; the EagleTree is installed and we'll see how it performs here shortly.

Happy Flying!
you need an air input and air output

any heat kept inside will continue to heat the motor even when the whole butt of the motor is against the wind
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Oct 01, 2008, 06:09 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Bring your fast one and your slow one. If we get enough people we will bring out the pylons! There will also be Slowsticks out there, So come out and Play with us!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:25 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,413 Posts
Quote:
UGH, first f-ugly crash toasting the F-27C. The new motor and setup seemed to be working fine, I just made a hair-brained maneuver while going downwind in high wind conditions and didn't have enough room to pull it out.

So where's the best place to order a replacement body??

The motor is extremely powerful, a little scary in fact and my EagleTree was showing some wacky numbers; up to 64.5 amps on my Thunderbird 54 ESC; YIKES! So use full throttle ONLY if you really need it for a short burst I guess is the moral of that story, and/or get a bigger ESC and stronger lipos.

Here's my EagleTree chart; I had to fiddle with the numbers to get the Prop RPM's approximate so they're not exact but probably close (and take those numbers with a grain of salt as you know how EagleTree's can be):

Drew, sorry to hear about the mishap with your bird. The good thing is a replacement body only cost ~ $20 or you could just glue it back together to test out different motor combo's.
Give a little more detail about your setup. I see the motor is a 3900kv with suggested max amps of 40 with volts in the 12V range. What prop were you running? I'd be real carefull if running the stock 6x4 cause that would pull some serious amps cause the kv is really high (that's not to say you can't). My 2700kv motor with a super strong 4S batt will pull amps in the 58-62 range with watts of 800-900 (static measurements) and the top speed is blistering. I've currently got a 50a ESC but will be upgrading to a 70a real soon cause during the first minute of flight, I can hear the ESC limiting output which means theres more power to get. I have nothing but huge respect for the E-flite 6 series motor as I'm WAY beyond suggested limits for it but yet it continues to push on and with up to about 20 flights in the last 5 days and no fires yet
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:25 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missle
Drew, sorry to hear about the mishap with your bird. The good thing is a replacement body only cost ~ $20 or you could just glue it back together to test out different motor combo's.
Give a little more detail about your setup. I see the motor is a 3900kv with suggested max amps of 40 with volts in the 12V range. What prop were you running? I'd be real carefull if running the stock 6x4 cause that would pull some serious amps cause the kv is really high (that's not to say you can't). My 2700kv motor with a super strong 4S batt will pull amps in the 58-62 range with watts of 800-900 (static measurements) and the top speed is blistering. I've currently got a 50a ESC but will be upgrading to a 70a real soon cause during the first minute of flight, I can hear the ESC limiting output which means theres more power to get. I have nothing but huge respect for the E-flite 6 series motor as I'm WAY beyond suggested limits for it but yet it continues to push on and with up to about 20 flights in the last 5 days and no fires yet
What prop would you suggest? I was running the stock 6x4 and you can see it was a monster so any suggestions for that motor would be appreciated!

Happy flying!
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:36 AM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,413 Posts
You'll have to obviously play with different ones. I'm running a 5.5x5 prop now and it's got GREAT torque as well as speed on the top end. I'd start with something in the 5x4 range so that your amps don't jump off the top end of the chart but be enough that a slow hand launch is still possible.
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:01 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
5x4, I'll give it a shot and report back; any other suggestions or possibilities? Since this motor is really too powerful anything to do to calm it down prop-wise would be good.

This motor gave the F-27C pretty much unlimited vertical, the 64+ amp draw you see on the beginning of the chart was my climb out at full throttle (or close) and it would have kept on going if I'd not pulled it back and brought her back down; quite a show! Now if the rest of my gear were up to the task, 30c lipos and a 70-80 amp ESC then I could keep it cranking like that more often but as it is I have a lowly 54 amp Thunderbird and 2250 25c lipos that I don't want to push beyond 56 amps for more then a second or two...

Thanks for the input and Happy Flying!
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:16 PM
Should Of Started Sooner
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Stryker Advice Needed

Hello to all who follow this thread...!!!!

I have read the thread from beginning to end.......... and have noted that some very good advice and assistance is being given to those in need.

I am a 63 year old "noobie" to RC and am one of those who are in need of help and advice. I started flying last year on a Slow Stick. I now am on my 2nd Stryker - F-27C Stock (which is still in good flying condition). I have also built and enjoy a Zagi XS - Mega 16/15/3 - CC 45A ESC - TP 3S 4200mah. This plane is about 100-105 mph on the level and 120-125 in a 30*dive. I run these with a DX-7.

What I would like assistance with is, modification of my stock F-27C. I just purchased the following: Medusa 28-40 2500kva , CC 45A ESC. I also have 3- TP 2200mah Extreme V2's. I have already added 3M extreme tape and have beefed up several areas as noted in prior posts on the thread. I have also added a CF tube across the width of the plane in the area indicated in prior posts.

I would like to get my stock F-27C in the 90-100 mph area with these items. I intend to build a 3rd Stryker this winter from scratch. I already have all the parts and pieces. In the new build I will go to 4S and a larger ESC.

For now.... Should I use the 4200 mah or the 2200 mah? (The 22's are 25c and the 42's are 15c)

What props should I consider with these batterys and the Medusa?

What Kind of speeds should I expect?

Sorry for the long post, but I also wanted to intro myself to you long timers. I love flying both my Stryker and my Zagi......... They are each quite different, however I just can't seem to get enough from either of them.

Thanks in advance.........!! Gary B.
GBorn45 is offline Find More Posts by GBorn45
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:05 PM
Negaunee, Michigan
Joined Sep 2008
192 Posts
Crash thread of my F-27B

I should've just got a "C" model to begin with, because by mid week next week, my "B" model will have been upgraded to a "C". And I probably spent more money that what the "C" would have cost me to begin with. Of course I probably would've wanted to upgrade the "C" as well.

Anyway, I too have gained a wealth of knowledge from this entire thread. I cannot believe how huge the RCGroups forums are!

Thanks guys for all I've learned so far. I hope to be able to help someone else out one of these days.....I still don't know that much about electrics/motors/batteries/ESCs and certainly not enough to be able to give advice.
Bob O is offline Find More Posts by Bob O
Old Oct 03, 2008, 07:21 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Shooting for the 100mph goal....

Great washer idea guys. I may have to try that.

Been awhile since I posted here. About to remaiden my Stryker with a new setup. Looking to break the 100mph barrier. Setup entirely HC. (accept UBEC)

Turnagy 3900kv
Super Simple 50amp ESC
ABF 2200mah 20c
APC 5*3 prop

Think I'll make it?
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71