HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:41 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Finalyy got my battery!!!!!
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:59 AM
Say no to interfierence!!
United States, OR, Terrebonne
Joined Mar 2005
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Bozarth
I found that using regular airplane covering seems to help with wing stability. I think I might cut off some of that huge wing, and up the wing loading. I think that would make it much faster and smoother. this thing can fly so slow, It seems like a jet shaped slow-stick some times. Anyway I think that I will start off by cutting the wind at about the 2nd elevon hinge from the outside edge and then balance it from there, fully loaded with battery and all. What do you guys think about that? I think that the elevons are just way too big for this plane with high speed motors.

B
I cut my F27-C wings way back. I cut them back to the first hinge! I now have 3" of ellevon on both sides. I took the nose cone off and tapered the "new nose" nicely. I also trimmed down the rudders about half way too.
Unfortunately the F27-C does not go any faster with these mods and it is way less stable at low speeds and at high speeds.
John Campbell is offline Find More Posts by John Campbell
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:19 PM
Purples a fruit
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
today i took my stryker b and cut off the nose to make it a conventianal wing, put a 3700 kv inrunner and a cut down apc prop. i had to set my throttle to about 50-60% at full so i didnt run more then 25 amps.

just got back from the maiden, and whooooo that was fun. only about a 5-6,min flight but it was awesome. was worth the mod, besides 20 bucks and i got another stocker.

anyone else?
d
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:47 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
my esc hits 150 degrees in 3 min at half throttle? what is wrong!
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:50 AM
Purples a fruit
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
what is the esc, motor and prop. amps??

that'll help
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
49 Posts
what if

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockd
today i took my stryker b and cut off the nose to make it a conventianal wing, put a 3700 kv inrunner and a cut down apc prop. i had to set my throttle to about 50-60% at full so i didnt run more then 25 amps.

just got back from the maiden, and whooooo that was fun. only about a 5-6,min flight but it was awesome. was worth the mod, besides 20 bucks and i got another stocker.

anyone else?
d
Any body know what happens if you got a 40-Amp brushless esc, a 2700Kv brushless motor and you run it full out for 10 min off a 2200mAh 11.1vLipo that has a max discharge rate of 27-amps!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
not sure on that set up, but running a 16/15/4 with an 18amp ESC wasn't the right thing to do ESC cut all power to the controls while in a full throttle dive. surprisingly, the impact was about the size of a softball in the corner of a guy's windshield. i'm guessing it was mostly from the battery pack flying forward (10 cells, NiMH).
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:01 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive
not sure on that set up, but running a 16/15/4 with an 18amp ESC wasn't the right thing to do ESC cut all power to the controls while in a full throttle dive. surprisingly, the impact was about the size of a softball in the corner of a guy's windshield. i'm guessing it was mostly from the battery pack flying forward (10 cells, NiMH).
Must be when you got your nickname "lowdive". If it would have been me, someone would have a new trashed airplane
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:28 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i'm too responsible to ditch the scene of an accident but yeah, the thought did cross my mind. one other thing keeping me from hitting and running was that someone was walking right in front of the expedition when it hit. so, witnesses. it was shortly after that i started membership with the AMA.

only thing busted was the plan and battery pack. everything else is still good, including the ESC. they would have had about $200 worth of trashed airplane

on the flip side, it was a little over $200 to replace the guy's windshield. i guess i could have split and been close to even
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,130 Posts
Quote:
i'm too responsible to ditch the scene of an accident but yeah...
I'm glad you did the responsible thing. Someone hit my car in the parking lot on Monday and thankfully they did the responsible thing too. If someone damaged my car and ran they better hope I never catch them.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:01 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
i'm too responsible to ditch the scene of an accident but yeah, the thought did cross my mind. one other thing keeping me from hitting and running was that someone was walking right in front of the expedition when it hit. so, witnesses. it was shortly after that i started membership with the AMA.

only thing busted was the plan and battery pack. everything else is still good, including the ESC. they would have had about $200 worth of trashed airplane

on the flip side, it was a little over $200 to replace the guy's windshield. i guess i could have split and been close to even
I'd hate confronting someone to tell them that I put my model airplane through their car/house/wife. I don't think I could ditch a wrecked plane either. I can't stand something like that on my conscience. I've made even with everybody I've ever owed, and you'd owe someone for wrecking their car for them.

Plus, there are very few RC fliers around here, and even fewer flying sites remotely close to population. I did hit my friend's truck a few weeks ago, and it put black 'Striker Marks' down the side, as well as a dent. The tent we set up in, and eat under was merely feet away, and it could have done some damage. The only danger we have is the danger to ourselves, and I'm glad of it. By the way, my friend laughed about it, and I caught a little hell, but he would have been more disappointed if he wasn't into the hobby as well.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:06 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
confrontation certainly isn't fun. although, i was lucky in this case. right after the guy took a look at his windshield he asked about the plane and if it was okay. you can't beat that! he did thank me for sticking around, too.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
I almost hit my ford pickup with a gas plane... it was a .40 powered trainer and I was doing some inverted stuff, and then all of a sudden I decided to do a full up elevator manuver and it just missed my hood and hit the ground with the landing gear, at full throttle I might ad, and it bounced up and over some dude's van with the prop and parts flying everywhere and I flew it down for a nice landing behind the van....The guy was like.............WOW, that almost hit my van!! and I said....Wow that almost hit my truck!!.....no not really, I was nice and said yeah, sorry man! anyway you can never be too careful!

B
Bryan Bozarth is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Bozarth
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:45 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
anyway you can never be too careful!
ain't that the truth! i have a friend who easily loses his plane's orientation and has been known to crash land in neighboring housing tracts. so far, one plane never found, the rest ended up sitting on the sides of streets (somehow). i almost always lay out ground rules or i simply won't fly with him.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:30 AM
Joined Mar 2005
49 Posts
ground rules

I agree,
note to self, no more flying next to BIMART!