SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:55 AM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Bozarth
Dude!!! that F-27B nose cone really sets that thing up good!

B
The B nose cone, the Tony the Tiger tail stab stripes, the stubby looking wings. I think it's FrankenStryker.

Seriously though, it looks like you did a real good job cutting them. I bet it's faster now.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:19 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Yeah I think Im going to go ahead and cut mine down small too... the Elevons are too big for me, when I try to pull up from top speed it does not do much, I assume because of the high speed and small servos. I might have to go with the balsa with less surface area of just cut them down small or something. At high speeds I think I would like to have the thing be less reactive and more stable...

B
Bryan Bozarth is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Bozarth
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:26 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
The first time I got mine in the air (had a problem with the suggest hand launch method) I climbed out at full power. After making a turn, I was instantly making another, and then another. I was so occupied fighting the plane that I didn't throttle back. After about 2 minutes of blistering speed, I did throttle back to about 70%. I hit the dual rate switch on accident, but heard it click & new what it was. It over maneuvered for about 10 seconds (the time it took me to switch back to low rates), but I just brung it on around to turn my mistake into a barrel roll or a loop. Then I did a vertical climb to look down & flip the switch back. I was so mentally fatigued that I decided to land it.

The more speed causes even a low throttle setting to be pretty fast. I didn't know I could fly it at 25%-30%. My other planes require about 40%-50% to safely do most maneuvers while keeping altitude.

I managed to land it within 15 feet of me, walked over, picked it up & tossed it again. That time I flipped the dual rate switch while bending down to pick up the plane, and didn't hear it. I had better luck on high rates because the plane started out flying touchy. I did wreck it after 10 minutes of flight at a much higher throttle setting than I would reccomend for someone getting used to the Stryker C. After these 2 flights I started messing with the speed, and learned that it flies well at a low throttle setting, and is as fast as a lot of planes at half.

After the wreck, I accidentally hit the switch before flight again without knowing. I didn't find out until I landed it. That day I couldn't get it trimmed after several attempts, noticed the warp at the end of the day, and grounded my Stryker.

This plane doesn't exactly fly like other planes. The speeding bullet design & brushles setup makes learning it harder. It increases speed dramatically in a dive, and has responsive controls that allow you to really show off after you're used to them. This is one plane that a simulator actually helped me learn.

As for the throws, you can get the same effect by being a little smoother on the sticks. Just remember how far you have them set, and fly it accordingly.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Has anyone ever re-used the hinged elevons on a new fuse? The ones on my C are still good, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them off without damaging the old fuse. Can you get them off at all? Even if I cut them out?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
So, how fast does it go?
Gerrardstown, WV
Joined Jul 2006
111 Posts
I resused mine on a new unpainted fuse. There are just snaps on the bottom, I think I pried them off with some needle nose pliers. They work just fine installed on a new fuse.
brobak is offline Find More Posts by brobak
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
I have done that with the B I have the original elevons on my 2nd airframe.....they were ripped off but then the keepers were coaxed off very slowly and they now are on my new frame with no problem....I personally would do this different, I would just buy new ones from PKZ or use balsa, If I had it to do all over again, and probably will now.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:14 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobak
I resused mine on a new unpainted fuse. There are just snaps on the bottom, I think I pried them off with some needle nose pliers. They work just fine installed on a new fuse.

Yeah, they have ridges too. I'd hate to strip those, but glue fixxes stuff like that.

Were you the one who posted the Maiden video of F27-C Stryker when I asked how to hand launch? That was a pretty good video, and I figured that you still had the origional fuse considering the save you made when you were close to the ground, inverted during a roll, pulled back & brushed the grass. High rates got me too
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:57 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,115 Posts
Yeah it looks Frankenstein now. I broke the original nose just a few hours before I took those pics. I'm using that one until I finish painting my 2 new fuselages. One will have the tiger scheme and I'm thinking of one for the other.
_OZ_ is online now Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
What do you guys think about assembly. I'd think that I could get better results if I followed a plan. i.e- Attach Elevons, attach motor mount/motor, install electronics & make necessary changes to fit, install servos & apply sticker to hold them in, attach pushrod to control horn, attach hatches, attach tail stabs & nose. I figured holding off on the aesthetics would make the plane easier to handle, and that attaching the elevons first would make sure I didn't drop electronics out.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,115 Posts
That is fine. I would put elevons on last because they flop around until you get them hooked to the servos. For the hinges I got rid of the stock hinge and went with Klett hinges.
_OZ_ is online now Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:04 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosborne
That is fine. I would put elevons on last because they flop around until you get them hooked to the servos. For the hinges I got rid of the stock hinge and went with Klett hinges.
Actually the tape keeps them pretty rigid. The stay suspended without the pushrod hooked to them.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell
got a video of the fire ball??????
When the LIPO caught fire I guess I found out I can still move pretty fast.

I know I was not thinking about a video camera at the time.

When I get a swollen LIPO I soak it in Salt Water overnight.

I did find a thread with lots of information about LIPO's and the care and feeding of them. It also talks about soaking a defective LIPO in Salt Water.

There is also several fire videos there.
To see the thread simply click HERE

Or you can cut and paste this link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:30 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy Knoll
When the LIPO caught fire I guess I found out I can still move pretty fast.

I know I was not thinking about a video camera at the time.

When I get a swollen LIPO I soak it in Salt Water overnight.

I did find a thread with lots of information about LIPO's and the care and feeding of them. It also talks about soaking a defective LIPO in Salt Water.

There is also several fire videos there.
To see the thread simply click HERE

Or you can cut and paste this link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Brandie

Hey, I got a 3 cell lipo from Thunder pwr and it had a swollen cell, so I called them and they made a call order to my house to pick the thing up right away and are going to send me a new one!

I did not poke holes in it though....Now I know what fun I could have had with it....

B
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:37 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Here is John Campbells F-27C in some high speed photos!

this thing rips with the 5.5x4.5 prop!

B
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
Say no to interfierence!!
United States, OR, Terrebonne
Joined Mar 2005
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Bozarth
Here is John Campbells F-27C in some high speed photos!

this thing rips with the 5.5x4.5 prop!

B
GO BEAVERS
John Campbell is offline Find More Posts by John Campbell