HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
nwjt,

Better not roll too hard or the cam and its stand might tilt to one side.
Then back to the drawing board! Probably need to use balsa. The other guy had his cam stand straight up, but that would be a lot more drag. I had mine lay down and rotated the lense. Less drag but more force in a roll as more weight is on the outside.
nwjt is offline Find More Posts by nwjt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:20 PM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
It flies great.

I did not have anyone there to run the camera we had rain off and on all weekend. I loaded two 3s2100HV MaxAmps packs in it after a range check and some radio settings, WOT and frizbee threw it by the left wing tip. I watched it dip down but with a little elevator it starting lifting up and it was gone as the started flowing better. I was amazed with how the speed picked up and it was cruising at 80mph with fairly good thrust for an EDF. The sound of the two EDFs reverberates back and forth with a high pitch whine. I have to fix the cone on one its not balanced just right. New Pretty cool flew perfect first flight no adjustments need at all. WOT was addictive and a blast but it flew just fine at half throttle. I will get some video next time.

I am so proud of it here are finished pictures of it.

DSS "catahuladave"
catahuladave is offline Find More Posts by catahuladave
Last edited by catahuladave; Jun 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:26 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
nwjt, you could've lay it down right on top of the canopy, less drag that way

with the CG more infront it will have less sensitivity in pitch but it will fly pretty smooth

or put it on the CG, laying down and raise it up by about a centimeter

dave, one word... NICE
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
nwjt, you could've lay it down right on top of the canopy, less drag that way
Of course there are better ways to mount it, BUT, this orientation/view of the plane is so great. Its more of a 3rd person view than a 1st person.

If it works I will pst the video and maybe then you will see. It looks more realistic.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
oh ok, i get it now ^_^
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:46 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
Wingwrecker,

Best solution would be to put metal gears in it.

Although Hitec 65MG on 6V makes 30.5 o.z. of torque, the hitec 81 on 4.8V still makes more torque at 36 oz., 41 o.z. on 6V.....so do not change your servos unless the crash damaged them beyond repair.

***Were you running stock push rods to connect the servo to moving surface? They flex too much and will further make your elevons useless. Figure out how to make and install 2-56 sized rods and clevices.

When/if you will go for another upgrade sometime in the future, hopefully you would still have the 4000-7000 words that I wrote you in 2 or 3 PMs.

Edit: I tried to get you to buy a different motor.
Yes but like I said before, I just wanted to try the cheap one first before jumping into Mega Motor-land. And I still intend to get the 16-25-x at some point. This GH motor will find a home in something, I'm sure.

I did find a deal on HS-81mg's for 17.99, but I don't know the vendor so I will be making a phone call today to try and verify their existence. If I'm not satisfied then I'll get the gears and do it myself.

And for sure, my next build will be reinforced. I could use some reference pics of others to guide me. I'd really like to keep weight to a minimum, of course.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Jun 16, 2008, 04:56 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
I have had very good luck painting Elapour and EPP with the cheap cans of paint from Walmart. It seems to cover very well. Test it on the foam you are painting first, I am certain it would eat up some depron, but the "EPP type" foam seems to be fine with it.

Diggs
Thanks for chiming in. The Colorplace paint works very well. Needed two coats though. Left wing will be Green. Center and bottom black. Bottom w/ invasion stripes. I'm kinda mixing US and Luftwaffe paint schemes. I have some leftover malaise crosses from another GWS kit. Might go with a yellow nose. Shouldn't be any orientation problems when I get done.

EDIT ...still the last post so here goes.

Had to change the paint scheme a little. Blue tape is taking off the paint. No black down the center of the fuse. No biggie.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Last edited by Pudknocker71; Jun 16, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:54 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
new fins!!!

made out of a dollartree foamboard

feels alot lighter, no bottom exposure so it won't rip off on landings
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:21 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudknocker71
Thanks for chiming in. The Colorplace paint works very well. Needed two coats though. Left wing will be Green. Center and bottom black. Bottom w/ invasion stripes. I'm kinda mixing US and Luftwaffe paint schemes. I have some leftover malaise crosses from another GWS kit. Might go with a yellow nose. Shouldn't be any orientation problems when I get done.

EDIT ...still the last post so here goes.

Had to change the paint scheme a little. Blue tape is taking off the paint. No black down the center of the fuse. No biggie.

That flat black looks good on foam IMO. I used it on my funjet and really liked the way it looked.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:30 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Looks great bud! Can't wait to see the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catahuladave
I did not have anyone there to run the camera we had rain off and on all weekend. I loaded two 3s2100HV MaxAmps packs in it after a range check and some radio settings, WOT and frizbee threw it by the left wing tip. I watched it dip down but with a little elevator it starting lifting up and it was gone as the started flowing better. I was amazed with how the speed picked up and it was cruising at 80mph with fairly good thrust for an EDF. The sound of the two EDFs reverberates back and forth with a high pitch whine. I have to fix the cone on one its not balanced just right. New Pretty cool flew perfect first flight no adjustments need at all. WOT was addictive and a blast but it flew just fine at half throttle. I will get some video next time.

I am so proud of it here are finished pictures of it.

DSS "catahuladave"
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:24 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
See Post #2264. need to put the mount back more towards the motor. Tons of drag. It flew very stable, but much slower.

f-27c Stryker Unique Camera Angle (6 min 26 sec)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
the video quality and the sound is really good, nice
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,818 Posts
nwjt,

Thank you for the video. Your plane still had good performance considering the added drag.

Quality of the video was pretty good. Keep them coming.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jun 18, 2008, 06:45 AM
Darwin, Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Hi
Just thought I would post my machine.
Pitch vectored thrust and pitch/roll slab canards.
MACH6 is offline Find More Posts by MACH6
Last edited by MACH6; Jun 18, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:15 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
your links do not work
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs