HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:47 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,145 Posts
I have not tried the Celectra. I wanted something that would both charge and balance my Lipos and give me info about what is going on with the battery so I can judge its health.
I plan on flying many more models and owning many more batteries in the future; so, my personal setup is an Astro 109 with a Thunder Power TP-205 balancer.
The Astro charges though the Main battery leads while the TP-205 is hooked up to the balancer lead, balancing things out.
The Astro will tell me the Lipo's voltage, amount of amps put into the batery and how long it took to charge. I can also adjust how mant amps I charge the battery with. Another nice feature is Discharge. This is useful not only for getting the battery down to storage voltage but for figuring out the health of the lipo by how many Mah the battery is capable of.
Google Astro 109 and thunder power and check these products out.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:50 PM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?...116&section=45

FMA 4S lipo balancing charger. Excellent charger at a good price. Has an adapter available for $15 too.

http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?...125&section=45
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:37 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,145 Posts
Thats a good charger too. I was going to buy it first but I wanted the ability to do more cells later down the road. If you know you will never do more than 4 cell lipos then that is a great charger.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Oct 09, 2006, 01:21 AM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Do you need the adapter to charge the Parkzone 11.1V 2200mAh 3-Cell Lipo? The connect is kinda like the ones the adapter is for.

Also, to adjust the trim on the control horns of a Stryker do I move the clevis up or down? There are 4 slots, and stock is the second from the top. So I would think you would move it up for shorter throws. Changing the throws this way puts the elevons in a slightly different position. Will this affect the trim of the plane much?
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:49 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
NiMH work with PNP Stryker C?

I was thinking about getting a Stryker C and a Spektrum DX6 and it seemed to me that going with the PNP version of the Stryker may be the best way to go since I don't have any other equipment yet. I'd like to start getting some standard radio equipment. Battery wise all I have are 9.6V NiMH batteries. (from original B Stryker and aftermarket equivalents) Eventually I want to make the switch to LiPo, but are the NiMH batteries "good enough" to get me by for a while?

I'm not sure the budget can handle batteries along with everything else at this point. Maybe for Christmas!
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2006, 12:35 PM
Say no to interfierence!!
United States, OR, Terrebonne
Joined Mar 2005
49 Posts
Just Fly It!
John Campbell is offline Find More Posts by John Campbell
Old Oct 09, 2006, 02:43 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell
Just Fly It!
Should I take that as a "it should work with the NiMH batteries?"
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2006, 02:58 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
7-8 cells on the brushless set up won't be great. i was more happy using PZ's mustang battery pack (11.1v 1000 9 cell NiMH, I think). due to costs, i still haven't gone to lipo but am much more inclined to save and start picking up lipo packs now. otherwise, i buy 10 cell NiMH packs through cheapbatterypacks.com (custom built) using IB1200s. they don't seem to have those cells anymore, but they've got Elite1400s and IB1400s.

with 7-8 cell packs you'll have some performance but it won't last too long and won't be as quick if you had more/better cells.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Oct 09, 2006, 03:21 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
on the note of batteries... anyone know of a good lead on inexpensive lipos? searching these forums for stuff like that is a pain in the
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:22 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Yup, just fly that thing! OK sounds good,..........actually I went on a head and tryed it....the lipo swelled up way huge and was hard to get out of the fuse, don't know what happend!

do you ?

b
Bryan Bozarth is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Bozarth
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:34 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
overdischarge of the battery resulting in overheating and then swelling and so on and so forth.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 07:38 PM
The Boz
Galaxy #1
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive
overdischarge of the battery resulting in overheating and then swelling and so on and so forth.
Oh, yeah, OK, Guess Ill just keep running it. seems to have plenty of Power!

This thing rips Ill try to get you guys some pics and vids tomorrow!

B
Bryan Bozarth is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Bozarth
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:50 PM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.php?page=intro.htm
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:53 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Bozarth
Oh, yeah, OK, Guess Ill just keep running it. seems to have plenty of Power!

This thing rips Ill try to get you guys some pics and vids tomorrow!

B
Hey Bryan:

A lurker here.

Been following along about your LIPO.

I have had a couple of LIPO's swell up like what you are describing.

I have found out that you are to discard these once they have swollen.

On the first LIPO I was able to discharge it as it still had a charge. I have an Astro Flight 109 and used the discharge cycle.

After it was discharged I placed it under water in a deep container. (canner)
A deep sink or a bathtub of water will work.

Carefully make a small slice in each of the cells careful not to cut down to far.

Like making a small incision.

You will see bubbles and a very noxious gas coming out.

On the second LIPO I did not discharge it.

I placed it in the canner full of water which is about 12 inches deep.

I made my first incision but I was a little too deep.

Instantly the entire container of water was emptied and I had a large fire ball in the bottom of the canner. I was not hurt but scared.

I only cut one of the cells and this was a 3 cell LIPO.

Bottom line is I hope you are not trying to charge or use the swollen LIPO's.

If you are uncomfortable with discarding them I suggest you take them to your local fire department for disposal.

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:53 PM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Got mine over the weekend.

OK I am no longer just a lurker.

I got one.

Mine is the RTF.

I was going to get the Plug-n-Play but I decided I wanted to fly and not bother with the RX, battery and all.

I know I had a really hard time getting the horz. stabs on. I placed a little CA on each side even though I don't think they will ever come off.

I placed White duct tape on the bottom for those belly landings.

I also placed a little on the bottom of the horz. stabs.

I placed the antenna along the top left wing and secured it in place with tape. I don't care for the antenna flopping in the breeze or in this planes case whipping in the breeze.

I decided to cut the cigarette lighter off the charger and use it with my 12 volt AC power supply. So I added bullet connectors.

I do like the charger with the balancer.

Here are a few pictures of my newest member to the fleet.

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll