HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:43 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Help!!!!

I installed my DX6 reciver, and no mater what I do, eather the pitch controll is correct, and the roll controll is backwards, or vis-versa!!!!. Is there somthing I did wrong, its programed for delta, any help please?

-Dustin
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:13 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Problem fixed

After about an hour of servo reversing, and moving the servo conectors I got it. My good friend that has been flying for 50 years couldent even figure it out! My next project now is to rig up some rudders, Im useing 2 mini servos and a Y harness, my friend even drew out the proper width, angle ect. My new mod should be working by the end of the week.

With the DX6, 3 additional use-able channels!!!!, Im thinking about a simple bomb drop, a interchangible camera mount, and some rudders.

The only bad thing about the DX6, is ther servos can mover the elevons wickedly fast, and super high throws, you need to keep your cool with this new mod

-Dustin
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
I see what you mean now. I had the same issue and it took a while to figure out.

I'm on:

MIX DLT
ON (everything else off)

THROTTLE Normal

AILERON Normal
mix A11 ASW On, B11 BSW On, C11 CSW ON
ELEVATOR Normal

Everything else R/F/etc is set to normal too. It seemed that changing one thing had an effect on the others. Very strange. I even took out both servos and tried to turn one around the other way. I just kept playing with it with my nose in the book and can't tell you exactly what I did. I took a while but it works now. I almost called Spektrum and cussed them out for their complicated instructions I was so mad!!! They could do better with their explanations IMO. I guess they figure that everyone already knows what flapperon/elevator mixing and dual rates and exponential is all about. I sure don't!

I even put the elevator on the the rudder channel and tried that lol.

Keep plugging away. you'll eventually get it. Maybe someone with more experience can tell you exactly what the settings should be. If you can't get it I'd start a new thread here and at WF asking for advice. There are a couple peeps on WF that are using DX6's with their strykers that might help too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. i've just gotten to the point where I can scoll to the thing I want to look at (major accomplishment for me!). figuring out what it all means is going to be a long process.
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Last edited by radralph; Sep 30, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:01 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Can you iron monokote over the Z-Foam?
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Oct 01, 2006, 12:01 AM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radralph
I see what you mean now. I had the same issue and it took a while to figure out.

I'm on:

MIX DLT
ON (everything else off)

THROTTLE Normal

AILERON Normal
ELEVATOR Normal

Everything else R/F/etc is set to normal too. It seemed that changing one thing had an effect on the others. Very strange. I even took out both servos and tried to turn one around the other way. I just kept playing with it with my nose in the book and can't tell you exactly what I did. I took a while but it works now. I almost called Spektrum and cussed them out for their complicated instructions I was so mad!!! They could do better with their explanations IMO. I guess they figure that everyone already knows what flapperon/elevator mixing and dual rates and exponential is all about. I sure don't!

I even put the elevator on the the rudder channel and tried that lol.

Keep plugging away. you'll eventually get it. Maybe someone with more experience can tell you exactly what the settings should be. If you can't get it I'd start a new thread here and at WF asking for advice. There are a couple peeps on WF that are using DX6's with their strykers that might help too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. i've just gotten to the point where I can scoll to the thing I want to look at (major accomplishment for me!). figuring out what it all means is going to be a long process.
I got it now, thankyou radralph.

Strangley enough, my elevator, and aleron or set to revers! Everything else is normal.. I set mine up almost the opposite as you! Well what ever, it works and thats all that matters.

That brings me to the next subject, I used an exacto knife and cut a slot for the servo in each vertical fin, both skrewed in with the supplyed skrews. Fits quite nicely, I am useing a Y harness to controll both. I put them just below the small indent on the front of fins. It dose not upset the CG, so now I have to wate till Monday to get controll horns. Gonna be sweet!

Consitering a bomb drop, but I dont want to make this thing weight to much.

-Dustin
Last edited by That can fly?!?; Oct 01, 2006 at 12:06 AM. Reason: cause!
Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:03 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,662 Posts
Foam Crusher....yeah when I ran this motor with my PZ mustang the battery was pretty warm when I pulled it out. I guess I just have to give it a whirl... I'll try the 6X4 first so I know I have enough power on launch....then switch to the lesser pitch props once I get the feel for it. Given how well the Stryker flies I'd dare to say I could keep things going for a few seconds if needed. I dunno what it is...but I have to see that thing zip along at a 100+ I fly a few other planes that do simliar speeds but are much bigger...40-60 sized glow planes... but I think given the smaller size of the Stryker and it's exceptional flight charactristics...this will be cool. I'm thinking the vertical will be, "intense." To say the least.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Oct 01, 2006, 06:49 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
Can you iron monokote over the Z-Foam?
Yes, you can use an iron on covering, but you want to use a lower temp one like Ultrakote, ora cover , or econocote (I think.) Spray an adhesive first without acetone).
Check out my Ultrakote/Oracover covered Stryker in a Thunderbird theme.

Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:48 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
..but I have to see that thing zip along at a 100+ I fly a few other planes that do simliar speeds but are much bigger...40-60 sized glow planes... but I think given the smaller size of the Stryker and it's exceptional flight charactristics...this will be cool. I'm thinking the vertical will be, "intense." To say the least.
D-9:

The Stryker is a pretty draggy airframe compared to others unless you do some serious sanding to remove the phony air intakes, thin the wing a bit and cut down the rudders. After about 80 mph drag becomes a serious problem and it takes ever more power (watts) to increase the speed. You can fly a brick, but a streamlined one flies faster!

In the "Stryker - How Far Can You Take It" thread lots of people really pushed the power envelope with large hot wind motors and huge battery packs to power them. The results indicate that without the modifications above, you are not going to break into the Century Club. You can come close with 4S packs but the plane will be heavy and be a one note song - fast but not much fun to fly.

Part of the appeal of the Stryker to me is its wide flight envelope. With a powerful but reasonable motor, it will fly fairly fast (65+ mph), fly at not much more than a walking pace in high alpha, and do almost any stunt a non-rudder plane can do, plus a few they can't. All that out of a <$40 piece of very tough foam. But hey, the plane is cheap; build one to fly and another as a test bed. {I even have one set up as a sloper but have not had a chance to try it yet.}

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Oct 01, 2006, 02:00 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
hmmm

I noticed you can program advers Yaw controll into the DX6 transsmiter, anybody try it?

-Dustin
Old Oct 01, 2006, 04:42 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
One more thing, the plane becomes horrible unstable if the throws are above 50%, is there a way to correct it, or dose the transmitter just become super sencitive???

-Dustin
Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:23 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Hmmmm, I wonder...

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/market/...387-0-8121.jpg
Old Oct 01, 2006, 06:35 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,130 Posts
Nice plane, but I bet the fuse is a little more than $20

That turbine alone is my whole years RC budget.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Oct 01, 2006, 07:02 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,662 Posts
FC, Well I bought the HS-81 MG's...a couple props...the rest I have at home already. I'll be home in about a week...so I'll have to keep you posted. I hear you on the extra watts vs speed gained...boats are the same way...once you reach max hull speed, it takes a ton of HP to even get so much as half a knot more in speed. I'll give it a whirl either way. I could be really a neat 30 seconds...or some serious fun.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Oct 02, 2006, 12:00 AM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erashby
Yes, you can use an iron on covering, but you want to use a lower temp one like Ultrakote, ora cover , or econocote (I think.) Spray an adhesive first without acetone).
Check out my Ultrakote/Oracover covered Stryker in a Thunderbird theme.

Eric

Pretty good. I bet it is hard to get it flat around the canopy. I will probably Monokote the bottom of my next fuselage black, and paint the top orange. Then Order the stock decals, and try to put on some tiger stripes to mimick the origional.

I flew it 4 times today, and hit a toyota tacoma the last time. I launched on high rate throws without knowing, after just adjusting the throws connected to the elevons, and almost took out a tent full of people. It put black marks down the door of the truck. The nose popped off, and it actually pushed the prop into the left vertical fin cutting a small slice in it.

Besides that, I dropped my controller & cut my hand checking the trim before launching the first time, and it cut pretty good. After I wrecked it, I put the nose on & taped the fin with packing tape, and offered to let an instructor fly it. One of the younger kids ran over & grabbed the plane (w/ battery inside) and I handed the controller turned off to the instructor. He immediately turned it on, and hit the throttle, giving the kid 3 evenly placed propped cuts on his wrist.

Anyway, it's pretty fast, and fairly dangerous. I wish I had a tape of that crash though.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Oct 02, 2006, 01:55 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
Pretty good. I bet it is hard to get it flat around the canopy...
In retrospect I would recommend, covering the top of the wing in sections. The bottom you can cover in 2 or 3 sections-left, right, and maybe center if needed. The top, I would cover in Left and right just up to the fin slots. Then another section from fin slots to "fuselage. Then another section for the right and left side of the fuselage. It sounds like a lot of work, but breaking it up into sections will actually save you time and improve the appearance. In stead of painting the top, I would recommend covering it since it looks better, adds little more weight, but adds greatly to the strength and wing stiffness and durability.

Also the nose is a little tricky to cover. I would recommend 4 sections. Is covering the styker with the added time and weight? Yes, if you are going brushless. My second airframe (waiting for me) is going to be lighter. The Thunderbird stryker is 30 oz with a 4S 2220 lipo and a Mega 4T. I'll bet I'll be under 20 oz with a Razor 2500 and a 3S 1320 TP. And I'll bet the top speed is almost the same, but the flight envelop widens to include much slower floating speeds.

So many planes (and plans for planes), so little time.
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby