Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:06 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac2
And this brings up some interesting questions:

1. what is the best way to thin down the airfoil. Sanding?

2. How much thinning of the foam can u do before it becomes too weak?

2. How much weight does glassing add to the fuse on a per sq in basis?

dave mc

I can't answer these, but I do have a question for you. Why??

The Stryker is fine the way it is. If you want to really push something over 100 MPH, the Funjet is the way to go or a lynx with a pusher setup. Check out Episode #33 of ATTF. Vinnie of JGF motors talks about the Stryker and speed. He makes a lot of valid points. It is a fantastic plane, and is quick, but if you want something really fast, there are better choices than the Stryker.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:32 AM
Inverted,that's howI roll
Venutra. CA
Joined Nov 2007
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
a stryker will never get past 110 MPH even with 6S and a mega 16-25-3

let alone 135 straight

unless you shaved off all the unneeded foam, thin down the airfoil, glass it, put a neu 1110 in it and put it on 5 or 6S
Instead of making the covering super smooth which makes the air kind of stick and eventually slow the air flow over the wing, I have little dimmpels on the wing like a golf ball, this makes the air flow faster over the foil. And I did shave the air foil thinner and sharper to cut through the air more quickly. I also stiffened the plane by inserting a triangle of carbon fiber in the belly of the plane so in a dive or in level flight the wings don't flex up with dihedral which is being caused by lift. I haven't checked what wattege I'm pulling yet.
3-DMan is offline Find More Posts by 3-DMan
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:37 AM
Venutra. CA
Joined Nov 2007
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
I am curious of this also. I have a RC Works reaper wing with very similar power system. Het 3 with a 6x4 prop 60amp ESC all being pushed by a poly 4s 4000mah pack and I can't hit 130mph in a downwind decent, much less 135 level flight. It's frame doesn't have nearly the drag of the stryker either. How did you document these speeds?

Diggs
I got the results from Winged Shadowed System's "How FastTM Airspeed Instrument. It can measure from 5mph to 500mph and it's $44.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:49 AM
Venutra. CA
Joined Nov 2007
274 Posts
Here's what you call too fast for your plane, at my local club's electric fly in this guy had a tiny pylon racer called the Stinger from Hobby Lobby and he had a Mega 16/15/2 in it. So he took it up some guy had a radar and it registered in at 205mph, then he barley bummped up elevator and snapped the wings right off, the fuse smashed in the ground, and everyone fliched because it sounded like a gun just fierd off! when he came back what was left of it the motor yanked out of the plane, the wing were splinters, and the battery was missing( they found it at the end of the day and it was thrown about 500ft from where the plane's fuse hit the ground) it was tosted!
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:58 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
that podcast is pretty cool
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:48 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-DMan
Here's what you call too fast for your plane, at my local club's electric fly in this guy had a tiny pylon racer called the Stinger from Hobby Lobby and he had a Mega 16/15/2 in it. So he took it up some guy had a radar and it registered in at 205mph, then he barley bummped up elevator and snapped the wings right off, the fuse smashed in the ground, and everyone fliched because it sounded like a gun just fierd off! when he came back what was left of it the motor yanked out of the plane, the wing were splinters, and the battery was missing( they found it at the end of the day and it was thrown about 500ft from where the plane's fuse hit the ground) it was tosted!
that is possible

anything with a mega 16-15->"2"!!!!!!!! and being very thin and slippery is VERY VERY FAST!!!
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:45 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
I can't answer these, but I do have a question for you. Why??

The Stryker is fine the way it is. If you want to really push something over 100 MPH, the Funjet is the way to go or a lynx with a pusher setup. Check out Episode #33 of ATTF. Vinnie of JGF motors talks about the Stryker and speed. He makes a lot of valid points. It is a fantastic plane, and is quick, but if you want something really fast, there are better choices than the Stryker.

Diggs
Ok fair enough, you caught me. I bought the wrong plane, so now I need to make it go fast! lol

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:47 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Ok fair enough, you caught me. I bought the wrong plane, so now I need to make it go fast! lol

dave mc
here's my 2 cents

MEDUSA AND NEU!!
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:52 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
that podcast is pretty cool

Thanks!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 07, 2008, 07:06 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
And this brings up some interesting questions:

1. what is the best way to thin down the airfoil. Sanding?

2. How much thinning of the foam can u do before it becomes too weak?

2. How much weight does glassing add to the fuse on a per sq in basis?

dave mc
If you thin the airfoil, and change the camber, you can really ruin it.
My thoughts...need thinner airfoil...Buy a different model!
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:35 PM
Venutra. CA
Joined Nov 2007
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
I knew that the modified airfoil would work, because I have a book on all these different types of air foils and I went under the speed foils and tested each one on peices of foam facing into a fan that's blowing colored air or smoke on to the foil and measered the drag on each one. So I decided to go with the one that had the best air flow. And it works great!
Old Feb 07, 2008, 02:32 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas

Stryker will fly without some body parts
I have two noseless Strykers and here is 333g AUW one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1614
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Feb 07, 2008, 02:47 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
if you had larger stabilizers it wouldn't wash out like that
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Feb 07, 2008, 07:43 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
if you had larger stabilizers it wouldn't wash out like that
those types are for really fast wings, wont really work well if ur flying slow most of the time
Old Feb 07, 2008, 08:28 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I posted above about using A123 cells in my Stryker. The fuselage is 35 mm wide and a 2300 A123 cell has a diameter of around 28, so that's an absolute no go. The 1100 ones from the VPX black and decker packs are 18mm, so twice that, plus some tape is barely thicker than the fuse. This will be what I'm putting in. The capacity will be low but I should have a few fast minutes with it (4 cell pack)!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2