HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
h2c-
I built a F-27C from scratch going on info from this thread. There's lots of info on here from some really good guys. Also if you click on a pic, then click on pics in thread you'll see all this pics in the thread listed.
I don't know if you'll find build vids but if you do a search in this thread you should be able to find an answer to your build questions.... if not , ask away.

What kind of flight characteristics are you looking for from your Stryker?
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
I've used hot water or steam to straighten foam on other planes and it works pretty well. If you use hot water be careful, too hot will cause the foam to dimple.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
I've used hot water or steam to straighten foam on other planes and it works pretty well. If you use hot water be careful, too hot will cause the foam to dimple.
Yes i was careful with hair dryer and was able to get it straight....I just need to find some good pictures and i should be able to get it pretty close.... I do notice when installing rudders you have to hold them down pretty hard or front edge pops out....I plan or using 5 min epoxy for glues them and the ailerons... thax brolley Update!! The only thing i can't find is where the 3 landing skids go... i'm not even sure adding them for grass landings is a good idea...anyone know where they go i checked out a lot of pictures and don't see where they are installed... thax
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Last edited by hate2crash; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:19 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,321 Posts
3 skids? Do you mean the skid (1) and the two other things meant to keep the front part of the verticals down?
The skid is useful for bungee launching too, if you reinforce the fuse.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:59 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Hey guys, I can't remember.
He's going to need some carbon rod isn't he?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Hey guys, I can't remember.
He's going to need some carbon rod isn't he?
That's why I asked what kind of flight characteristics he's looking for...speed demon or light cruiser or somewhere in between. This will determine how to build it.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:25 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
needlenoses,
Fly that plane on a 3s and let's see what you think of it.
It's not rated 4s and stresses out.
If you want to run 4s, put the 2350kv version of that same motor in.

APC 6x4 sport will do fine with both setups.

I'm using each of those motors in my 2 Strykers.
Getting where I rarely fly the 3200.
4s is sweet.
I prefer 1800 4s. A 2200 just flew poorly to me. Makes it nose heavy and takes the glide out of it.
I've built maybe five or six strykers over the years, got out for about 18months and back in. Built a bunch of planes, edfs and of course my sryker. I've always done it 4S, but was too nose heavy required too many mods etc. I did reinforce it and some minor mods but went 3S this time. I'm use turnigy 2836-3200 EDF outrunner motor in stock mount (but reinforced with 1/32" ply). I'm using turnigy plush 60A esc and a rhino 30C 3S 2150mah. I had to lower throttle end point to 85% as it was cutting out battery at static test at 63A around 625W. From what I remember on the prior setup I had on 4S, this thing will do on 3S what my old 4S setup did. I don't recall that motor setup, but it was rhino as well. Anyway, using an APC 6.x4. I'm tempted to got one size smaller, but I do thing it will be less current draw in the air. Plus with some throttle management, I should be ok. But I have to admit I do like WOT flying.

I could also get a 40C battery but turnigy 40C are really 30C at best. Rhinos are best, just can't get a 40C one. Not even sure they sell them (they used to).

Anyway, thought I'd pass on comments. I do LOVE this motor. No issues rubbing at all on 3S. I did hook up a 4S, but didn't want to risk the mount coming off. :-)
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Last edited by mjbennett9; Mar 02, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:35 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,321 Posts
So, what's your flavour????
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362274434.350259.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 124.8 KB
Description:
Motors from the 20g C20 to the Mega 22/35......
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:11 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,982 Posts
Arctery,
What prop is that on the 22 ?

I would obviousely choose the one with the biggest motor !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:16 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,321 Posts
That's an APC Q40 7.4x8.1 on the 22/35/1.5RE. Meanest looking prop I ever saw
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
I've built maybe five or six strykers over the years, got out for about 18months and back in. Built a bunch of planes, edfs and of course my sryker. I've always done it 4S, but was too nose heavy required too many mods etc. I did reinforce it and some minor mods but went 3S this time. I'm use turnigy 2836-3200 EDF outrunner motor in stock mount (but reinforced with 1/32" ply). I'm using turnigy plush 60A esc and a rhino 30C 3S 2150mah. I had to lower throttle end point to 85% as it was cutting out battery at static test at 63A around 625W. From what I remember on the prior setup I had on 4S, this thing will do on 3S what my old 4S setup did. I don't recall that motor setup, but it was rhino as well. Anyway, using an APC 6.x4. I'm tempted to got one size smaller, but I do thing it will be less current draw in the air. Plus with some throttle management, I should be ok. But I have to admit I do like WOT flying.

I could also get a 40C battery but turnigy 40C are really 30C at best. Rhinos are best, just can't get a 40C one. Not even sure they sell them (they used to).

Anyway, thought I'd pass on comments. I do LOVE this motor. No issues rubbing at all on 3S. I did hook up a 4S, but didn't want to risk the mount coming off. :-)
I like the clean gold look !...i just got done painting mine ...went with yellow and plumb top side...i am leaving white bottom and adding just tape strips...I have gorilla glue, gorilla glue CA, 5 min epoxy and thick rubber cement craft glue....Which works best for rudders and airlons? this being an epo foam i am thinking light sanding surfaces and CA everything should be best....I still am waiting on motor to arrive ...i will be using 1800-2200mah packs which i already have with 28-36- 2700kv and a 6x4... i am expecting 90mph or more....I guess it would be good idea to add 2 more flat carbon spars to wings for more strength...thax
Last edited by hate2crash; Mar 03, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
3 skids? Do you mean the skid (1) and the two other things meant to keep the front part of the verticals down?
The skid is useful for bungee launching too, if you reinforce the fuse.
I put the skid one approx 7inches back from nose tip...it fit in pre drilled holes...so you say the other 2 pieces in the bag go on top? Bag said 3 skids on it i figured they should be installed directly in front of where rudder fin is on bottom side of stryker...but you say they go on top to keep front of rudder down...I thought i would use 5 min epoxy or CA and just hold it down until glue dried? thax UPDATE! I finished stryker just waiting on motor...Its a very nicely engineered little kit and hope it flies as good as it looks
Last edited by hate2crash; Mar 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
Im thinkingn about covering a 27c in carbon fiber and mounting a super hot setup with a goal of 200 mph. Just wondering what others thought about the weight, how heavy can this airframe get before it quits flying nice? any help would be great, and if this works out I'll be sre and post a build and flight video!
Busted_wing is offline Find More Posts by Busted_wing
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_wing View Post
Im thinkingn about covering a 27c in carbon fiber and mounting a super hot setup with a goal of 200 mph. Just wondering what others thought about the weight, how heavy can this airframe get before it quits flying nice? any help would be great, and if this works out I'll be sre and post a build and flight video!
I also heard of a plastic coating used to cover foam planes which is very strong and super lite ...it has been available for a couple of years...it mixes in 2 parts and is brushed ...Then you can paint over it and it makes foamies like glass...i don't know where to buy it,but i know its not very expensive and it would be perfect for a project as you mentioned ...I am sure someone here has better information on it...good luck
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:04 AM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
I just received motor and will have to mount 1/8'' plywood piece to rear of stock motor mount then install motor...It seems like it should be strong,but motor will be hanging out the back of the plane around 2.5 inches...This will make it less noisy and bring cog back,but not sure how it will affect the way it flies....Also any pointers on maiden launching? I am using 28-36-2700kv...(500 watts on 3s)..2200mah 3s and 6x4..esc is 60 amp.thax