HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
What I have been using is velcro mount (tape) from the side and a wedge between the other side and the bat to force it to stay in, but my wedging had gotten really lazy (was just using some loose wires). I will probably be looking into a different mounting setup for batteries on this plane now
loop the velcro over the battery, best way to do it
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Hi Guys

Finally managed to get out to fly my 27C between the days of constant rain!! Today was sunny 6deg C (43 deg F) and wind from the West 8-10 mph.

The field in Hertford (U.K.) where I fly was flooded at both ends of the strip, but not too muddy if you are careful where you tread.

Flew a few circuits in the winter sunshine, and chased a few seagulls across the field Almost felt like summer ......well after I warmed up in the car!

Did notice the lipos were down on power (charged them weeks ago...) and they came out after flying hardly warm.

Still, it was great to be out again!
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit 88

Did notice the lipos were down on power (charged them weeks ago...) and they came out after flying hardly warm.

Still, it was great to be out again!
Yup, lipos are affected by ambient temperature. The colder it is, the less power they produce, voltage drops off quicker. Can't wait for the weather to warm up.
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
Yup, lipos are affected by ambient temperature. The colder it is, the less power they produce, voltage drops off quicker. Can't wait for the weather to warm up.
I keep mine wrapped up in a heating pad so they are warm before flight, very little loss of power that way....of course you need electricity which my club field has. Others have used other non-electric heating devices in insulated coolers to keep them warm.

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:13 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
yup the weather affect the lipos

it's so cold here that i dont really want to go out and fly

Oakland is a a few miles away and it's SNOWING!!!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:04 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I only had to learn the lesson once that a cold lipo produces much less power and seems to suck juice very quickly, making what should be a normal flight into one with low voltage cutoff. Now I keep them in my pocket until flight.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:47 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Not only did I fly with cold lipos but I think I overcooled them in flight. I have real intakes for cooling at the side of the lipo compartment. This was needed in Summer.....but I guess not now

I think I'll plug them up for the time being......
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Last edited by Esprit 88; Jan 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Just for grins I took my small flycam out and did some doppler passes last weekend. Quick and dirty accuracy is easily +/- 3mph from my measurements, well within my deviation requirements.

I also put together a custom app to make doppler speed and RPM measurements. I am refining it some more to make ultra accurate freq estimates for more precise answers. I am hoping to put the app on a handheld computer and make measurements right out at the field! Should be very cool.

Right now I am using a spectrogram for doppler measurements, much like the wavoscope program. With this method I can get pretty darn accurate readings by playing with the freq resolution. For more precise readings I am planning on cutting up the doppler pass for finer freq resolution at the selected points.

Here is a simple screenshot:

So far speed and RPM calculations have been on par with expected results.

Jim
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old Jan 23, 2008, 01:15 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Very nice Jim, I just downloaded WaveOScope and it looks pretty straightforward to use. I have a basic understanding of the physics that is going on but I don't really understand exactly how the software is picking apart the input sound and breaking it up into the displayed frequencies.

What's your setup in actually recording the sound? Are you using a tripod-mounted camera/camcorder or can a recording from an observer be OK?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:45 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
is that the speed in mph on the right?
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:31 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Hey Strykereenos!

I new person showed up at the field today. His Mother-in-law got him the PNP stryker C kit. He's a new to the hobby and I'm doing my best to help him get it set up properly.

He's got a Parkzone Tx and a parkzone RX. From the pictures in the manual, these appear to be the ones that come with the stryker. However, between the two of us, we can't seem to figure out a way to position the Rx and ESC that allows for the rear deck hatch to be used.

Can one of you post (or point) me to a picture of the stock 27C setup that shows the layout of the ESC and RX?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:03 PM
Saint-Méen le Grand (BZH)
Joined Jan 2007
123 Posts
2 flights today, no videos i was alone and not reassured on the capacities of the test of the day according to propellers, therefore I did not risk carrying of my camera on the FC27.

So this third test (after LS Parkjet & LS Super Parkjet engine with 5.5x5.5 cam speed prop and 3s Loong-Max 1600 20/30c) was onto Turnigy 2445 2900kv engine.

First flight was with 5.5x5.5 cam speed prop and Hextronic 3s 2200 20/30C 1st Gen : very soft flight without energy... very beautiful noise of the engine but it all.... I'm very disappointed.... Quickly Lipo was down (I'm sure now this one is really end life) and after landing engine is dramatically warm !!! I burn my fingers !!! So I decided to change Prop by 4.7x4.7 cam speed prop.

Second flight, new lipo (same previous, 1st Gen too, but still alive... and really alive !!! ) : Whaou !!!! :lol: previous flight was a snail, now it's a missile !!!!
Flight really powerful, almost unlimited vertical rolls wind forward (better than LS Parkjet & Super Parkjet)... as faster than SU27 4s 70mm EDF of a friend... really impressive... I'll try video or onboard cam next week I think I'll lets FC27 in this configuration
Sirius35 is offline Find More Posts by Sirius35
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:36 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
Hey Strykereenos!

I new person showed up at the field today. His Mother-in-law got him the PNP stryker C kit. He's a new to the hobby and I'm doing my best to help him get it set up properly.

He's got a Parkzone Tx and a parkzone RX. From the pictures in the manual, these appear to be the ones that come with the stryker. However, between the two of us, we can't seem to figure out a way to position the Rx and ESC that allows for the rear deck hatch to be used.

Can one of you post (or point) me to a picture of the stock 27C setup that shows the layout of the ESC and RX?

Many thanks!
i have the ESC above the hole that all the servo leads come through

and the battery goes under the Rx into the battery bay, and the rx sits between the battery and the ESC

i know its not that good of a location, but things are fine to me =P

i'll try to get a picture when my dad's back with the car

all my planes are in there now
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:01 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
sirius try a smaller prop
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:09 AM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
i have the ESC above the hole that all the servo leads come through

and the battery goes under the Rx into the battery bay, and the rx sits between the battery and the ESC

i know its not that good of a location, but things are fine to me =P

i'll try to get a picture when my dad's back with the car

all my planes are in there now
Thanks Brian, pictures would be very helpful. I've been motivated to reduce the drag on my Stryker now so I'm looking to put the ESC back inside, but I"m conscious of trying to keep whatever airflow I can get on it.