Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
MY GOSH !!!!!!!
i thought you were gunna give a link to an aluminum EDF ...................
You will have tremendous thrust with a 12 blade fan, but how will the top speed be ???
I suppose we will just have to see !!
Are you gunna choke down on the discharge to increase the e-flux speed ?
I think those 12 blade fans are the ULTIMATE in cool factor, due to the low fan noise and "WHOOSH" sound like a real jet.

As far as my research has taken me thusfar, though, lower number of fan blades get the highest efficiency (thrust vs. watts). Same as with a prop.

And I wouldn't mind having one o' them alloy fan units either
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
I think those 12 blade fans are the ULTIMATE in cool factor, due to the low fan noise and "WHOOSH" sound like a real jet.

As far as my research has taken me thusfar, though, lower number of fan blades get the highest efficiency (thrust vs. watts). Same as with a prop.

And I wouldn't mind having one o' them alloy fan units either
Lump me in there as well ............
only I will add .............

The more fan blades the more thrust, and less top speed.
I am on the fence about which fan to run ..............the 10 blade Jet Fan, the 12 blade Schuby, or the 6 bladed Wemo

I think the aluminum EDF housing is the way to go to dissipate heat, but I am not really looking for all out top speed eithor, so I will start with the E-Flite 80mm EDF with the stock rotor and then decide if I want MAX thrust or a little more speed
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I think once I outspin the Eflite fan, I'll be moving up to a 90mm and the associated 36-39mm motors to really satisfy the power urge
But I wonder just how fast this fan can turn. I know Gary has turned it over 51K, but haven't heard of anyone able to drive it faster to test it.

May go the route of cutting a 100-120mm plastic rotor down to 90mm to keep cost down, and power up...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:38 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
1. I think once I outspin the Eflite fan, I'll be moving up to a 90mm and the associated 36-39mm motors to really satisfy the power urge
But I wonder just how fast this fan can turn. I know Gary has turned it over 51K, but haven't heard of anyone able to drive it faster to test it.

2. May go the route of cutting a 100-120mm plastic rotor down to 90mm to keep cost down, and power up...
1. Thats where I stepped in with Gary as well. He says that the E-Flite fan is surprisingly robust, and can take lots of abuse, so since its relatively cheap and very easy to get .....................................

2. I thought if I did that, the shape of the blades would change enough to reduce efficiency, so I just consider moving up to the expensive Alloy as my "next step"

I am happy to see some EDF action on our Strykers !!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Well this ought to be interesting with you two throwing your best at an EDF stryker with a 90mm EDF on board. Are you going to mount the unit onto the stryker by means of a nacelle or incorporate it into the stryker airframe with some customized duct work .I have been working out ducting for an Aurora with twin 70mm EDF with a split ducted nacelle pulling air from above and below the wing. Good luck Mopar ,Murdnunoc I know some serious EDF
stryker speed will be thrown down now.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
386 Posts
Mega 16/40/1.5sc

Mopar.....or anyone else
Say I wanted to run my 16/40/1.5sc on my Stryker until my 22/20 gets here.

Say 4 cell 3300. I have the Custom RC Parts 36mm mount kit , if it'll work I'll get the 28mm replacement motor mount from Gary.

Prop suggestions? I have 7x5,7x6,7x7,7x8,8x5 and 8x6 on the way.

What do you think?
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanik213 View Post
Well this ought to be interesting with you two throwing your best at an EDF stryker with a 90mm EDF on board. Are you going to mount the unit onto the stryker by means of a nacelle or incorporate it into the stryker airframe with some customized duct work .I have been working out ducting for an Aurora with twin 70mm EDF with a split ducted nacelle pulling air from above and below the wing. Good luck Mopar ,Murdnunoc I know some serious EDF
Hi Blanik,
My EDF Stryker build sounds like it incorporates similar design for the fan placement as your idea for the twin Aurora. It's about 60% above the wing and 40% below.
I'm shaping the top and bottom of the plane to give the fan the most and smoothest air possible.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15386

I'm sure it will be a kindergarten popsicle stick project compared to what you'll do with the twin EDF Aurora, though... I'm salivating at just the thought of it...

From what I've seen in pure speed-driven planes, the preference does seem to lean toward pod-mounted fans/turbines. Makes sense, I guess, as it's all about the power drive at that point, and any compromises given up by intake ductwork inefficiency are taken away, as there is no ductwork.
I just like the look of an integrated fan, though...
Maybe the next plane will be a speed ship with a pod engine.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Murdnunoc I think the split pod/nacelle will offer the most in terms of efficiency of air flow inlet and specific thrust tube diameter when we are mounting an EDF externally on these delta wing type planes. Thrust tube diameter and a proper inlet shape and size will make a huge difference in efficiency and I know anything less than fast just aint gonna cut it.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Last edited by blanik213; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:06 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
Mopar.....or anyone else
Say I wanted to run my 16/40/1.5sc on my Stryker until my 22/20 gets here.

Say 4 cell 3300. I have the Custom RC Parts 36mm mount kit , if it'll work I'll get the 28mm replacement motor mount from Gary.

Prop suggestions? I have 7x5,7x6,7x7,7x8,8x5 and 8x6 on the way.

What do you think?
Brad,
On 4 cells you will be reasonably safe with a 8x6. (About 104 amps unloaded) Just check your temps as you progressively build up your WOT durations just to be sure!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:13 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Hi Peter and Brolley,

Interestingly .............. on 4s5000
The 7x8 draws just about the exact same amount of power on straight and level runs as the 8x6

Static is something different; with the 7x8 pulling around 125 amps and the 8x6 pulling just north of 140 amps

So Brad, DEFINATELY get that adapter from Gary and have some fun !!!!!!!!!
Last edited by moparmyway; Oct 25, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanik213 View Post
Hi blanik,
On this build, I am using an 80mm E-Flite EDF and dont plan on it being a "serious" speedster, but I do plan on getting the most power to the EDF that I can.

In other words, with the 80mm unit, I am pretty sure that I wont go past some of the speeds I have seen with props no matter how many watts are sent to the EDF. Even the 90mm unit wont stand a chance against an 8x8 Sport
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:19 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Mmmm, I wouldn't have picked that difference between static and inflight Mopar!

I think the 16/40/1.5SC motor is best suited to 5 cells (and not larger than 7x7's) in a Stryker though.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:20 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,341 Posts
Brad: I use a 8x6 on 4S for climbing and fun and 7x7 on 5S for speed runs with my 16/40/1.5SCE...
Awesome motor.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:34 AM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
386 Posts
Thanks fellas
I will be ordering the mount today then.

Arcteryxxx
What kind of speed you gettin on 4
... and on 5?
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Last edited by brolley; Oct 25, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:08 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,341 Posts
Haven't done any doppler readings and the airframe ain't the slickest around.
These videos will give you a hint anyway:

4S:
MEGA 16/40/1.5 SCE Vertical climb on 4S, APC8x6Sport (0 min 15 sec)

5S:
Stryker flyby (0 min 45 sec)
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx