HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
391 Posts
Murdo,
I have a 22/20 F5De on the way. Was going to try a 4500 45C 3 cell but I'm thinking I might have trouble with CG. Just got a 3300 65C 4 cell nano tech, not the best batts but will give me a good idea of how it flies. Tried and true Ice 100.

I'm going for a moderately fast but fun gravity defying lighter weight build. That's why I chose the 22/20. Been talkin to Mopar, should handle an 8" prop on 3 cells for that insane vertical performance .

I'm also open to suggestions.
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
That's the beauty of keeping the build light, but strong.
You can get the insane fun of a sport flyer with a big 8x5 prop, or stretch it out with a 7x7 to go for speed on the same power.
After a while out of flying, I've gotten back to ripping up the local club with a light Stryker on 7x5 prop on the 16/25/2EC on 4S, and at this point marvel that I'd ever fly anything else

Note: those aren't specific prop suggestions. Just concept examples.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Well well well look who resurfaced . How you do Murdo

Anyways I just hacked the hell outta one of those elevon stock, gonna try the ritewing tape method

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:38 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Well well well look who resurfaced . How you do Murdo

Anyways I just hacked the hell outta one of those elevon stock, gonna try the ritewing tape method

FCA
Heh got myself a little burned out there for a while. Hittin it too hard. Getting back to having some fun now, though.

The Storage Tape hinges do great as long as you have a super smooth surface for the back half of the trailing edge for the tape to stick to.
And the little 1" pieces of light tape to hold the elevon in place do wonders for the alignment and ease of application.

They better be good!! They're what's holding the hinges on my 22/80/1.5SDE powered 7lb. monster.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:24 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
Murdo,
I have a 22/20 F5De on the way. Was going to try a 4500 45C 3 cell but I'm thinking I might have trouble with CG. Just got a 3300 65C 4 cell nano tech, not the best batts but will give me a good idea of how it flies. Tried and true Ice 100.

I'm going for a moderately fast but fun gravity defying lighter weight build. That's why I chose the 22/20. Been talkin to Mopar, should handle an 8" prop on 3 cells for that insane vertical performance .

I'm also open to suggestions.
Hi Brolley,
Both of those batts should be very close in weight.
Do not worry about nose heavy ............ tail heavy=BAD .............. nose heavy=good (so long as its less than 1" in front of the CG dots)

I would shoot for 1/4" to 1/2" while building ................. you can allways add battery weight
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:28 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy1404 View Post
Haven't got to do any data logging yet. The 3300 6s is 30c-70c, going to use elevon wood stock, and going to attach them using the rite wing style with tape and adhesive, the fuse has carbon rods through it in numerous spots using gorilla glue and then covered with a bondo substance called icing, the verticals are 4mm wide wood paneling, going to use a bungee launcher, i work with brolley who is also building a stryker
Hi tippy,
In addition to Murdos comments, I would suggest a single piece of CF, left to right (wing tip to tip) going through the motor mount area. Even if you cut the ones in there already, that single uncut left to right will do more for stopping the Stryker from folding in flight !!

Brolley & Tippy .................
Thanx for the pictures .................... keep them coming !!!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
tippy1404,

One of my friends installs his only CF from the top of his Stryker instead of below.
It is the same main CF that Mopar mentioned.....Running left to right near rear of plane.
Almost everyone installs them from the bottom of Strykers, my friend does it from the top.

Therefore if your current layout does not allow you to run a long enough piece to your liking, you may consider doing it from the top if that helps you.

Most of the stress is in the middle. As you get further out the stresses are reduced down to zero.
Hopefully you install a CF no shorter than half of wing span.

If mounting it from bottom maybe glue/connect it to other CF. If mounting it from top, you may be able to run a longer piece.

Look at your fuse and the already installed CF closely, and have a plan before cutting away to install the last CF (Main CF) that Mopar mentioned.

Good luck,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:07 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
and one of your other friends places cf top and bottom........
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
And ..........................
One of your other friends also puts CF on top, this was April 2009 and its Nemesis which took our Strykers over 145mph for the first time alongside Pumpkin ................................................ aahhhhhhhhhhh the memories !!
Last edited by moparmyway; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
Awesome......3 friends doing it that way is better than 1

See the EDF post near bottom:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...17/key_/tm.htm

His current Power systems :
That 4800KV MEGA is now on 4S....fan starting to fail!!!!
Medusa 28-56-2800 on 3S
MEGA 22/35/X (1500KV)
MEGA 22/20/2 using prop.....earlier 5S use with Wemo 90mm did not go well on top of stock mount!!!

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I do it on top, too...

This is all the sparring this bird will get. A single main wing spar near the CG, and 4 thin fiberglass surface spars to complete the triangle. After fiberglass and epoxy skin, I'm hoping the minimalist design holds up past 170mph.

And yes, Mopar...
... I know how this looks.
But I been wanting to try one for a while now, and it's something different
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looking good Buddy

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,442 Posts
Your EDF is not going to run very well the way you have it in the pictures!
I fear you will have lower performance, than you should!
Plus you could suck a rock in or twig when landing.
As it is you will loose 30% of the power you could get out of that motor, just by using a EDF!
Not nocking your idea, of using an EDF.
Just I don't think you will see 170mph out of that setup.
That fan needs to be a 90mm and 30% more power than Moparmyway needed to get to 150mph!
Anyway good luck!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,442 Posts
murdnunoc: I just realized your the one building the beast.
What are you putting in there?
I know you know what your doing, I am just concerned that it will work great for you!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Yep EDF is for sure not the most efficient way to squeeze speed. I'm doing it for the challenge and a new experience. Plus... we all know a jet's COOL factor makes up for the inefficiency.

Having 40% of the fan's intake below the plane should also take some advantage of the higher air pressure on the bottom of the airfoil to ram more air into the fan.
I'll also be happy to compare the integrated fan setup with a top mounted one, if that's the route any other EDF Strykers have used in this power range.
I'm only choking down the fan's thrust tube to 82% instead of the 75-80% I'd use for a more slippery airframe.

I'll be cleaning up the intake areas on both top and bottom to get the smoothest air possible into the fan.

The Eflite 80mm fan takes a 28mm inrunner, so I'm going to use the biggest 28mm Mega I have to slam it with 3kW and 52,000 RPM or better.
16/45/1.5RCE at 1985kv would run around that on 9S.

3kW on a 7x7 prop will push my Strykers to around 170mph, so yeah, the speed will take a hit with the 28mm setup.
But the airframe may also get a fan and motor upgrade at some point, too