HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Me too ............
Although for sure I use the Robarts in the foam if its a FJU, and the Strykers get the DuBro.

Those hinges are top class and have never failed on me
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks guys, will order balsa and hinges tonight.
Simple hobby knife slits and CA for the Dubros?

Still not 100% sure which hinges to use.
Will be moderate power only, not super hy-po.
I'm having no response issues turning right under power.
Could be the stock servos as well? or totally a servo issue?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
More a stock elevon issue.
They flex and wont allow you to controll the Stryker as they are flexing. It usually happens to most from a dive, unless the elevons are old enough or the Stryker is fast enough to render the stock elevon just about useless. Remember, turning right is opposite of what the Stryker wants to do. It wants to corkscrew and go down to the left .........

The stock servos like to strip easily at higher speeds as well, but if you dont find the problem on a good pre-flight, it probably isnt there.

Hobby knife and thin CA are what I use with the Du Bro hinges !
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVAlliance View Post
Yeah...that may be a tall order to fill since Ive never crashed my stryker...so I dont have any "rubble" to practice on. I really never got into foam planes. I did have a small profile Extra at one time and I do have a micro cub that is foam...but really the only foam plane I own is this stryker and the other new in bag fuse.

Have you ever done the process on a fuse thats already been painted...like my factory one? Or is it better to do this to an unpainted fuse? If that is the case, I can start out with the new fuse...but still dont want to ruin it. So I'll just use your words of instruction and keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I should wait to order any parts just in case I ruin it beyone repair. No need in having a 150 dollar motor with nothing for it to go in, ya'know?

What size aileron stock do you use? 1.5"? My LHS used to carry it, but my last visit there last saturday, it was depleted. I really dont look for them to get any more in as Ive heard a few rumors about health issues with the owner and family members. So, Id say that the days are numbered for this shop. The other one is more a ground RC store. They do have "some" planes and parts...but not much outside of the 'spin rack' from dubro and a box of balsa and ply. No aileron stock there either.

I found some @ A Main hobbies...but all I could find there was 1.25".

I live in West Virginia. Since you are a "Mopar" guy...you may even know my father as he used to be one of the biggest Mopar guys on the East coast...if not the entire US. He has "The Car Farm" and only deals in chrysler products. Used to be big into muscle cars, but more lately...later model stuff. Hes not as big into it now as he once was...so you may not know/heard of him if you havent been into Mopars for at least 30 or more years.

hey what hobby shop are you talking about? hopefully not west virginia hobby and crafts. oh yea i live in WV also. we should fly some
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Okay, silly question for you Stryker enthusiasts. It looks like my 5 year old Stryker stock motor shaft is slightly bent so I get bad vibrations when I go to fly. I really just want to replace the motor and get back flying and am not all that interested in going really fast. There's not much room to do that in New England anyway even if I wanted to.
So, to keep costs down, I would rather just use the existing mount and replace the motor. Can that be done without breaking the motor mount? If so, would an ARC 28-37-4 motor be a good, comparable replacement?
Sorry for the noob type questions. I'm mainly a slower plane/FPV guy so I can tell you all about that but am not all that familiar with my Stryker as it's been a while since I've flown it.
Thanks!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
also,with the dubro hinges,i melt a little vaseline in a small can,the fold the hinge and dip just the hinge pin area in the vaseline.when you install it the super glue wont get on the hinges(been there done that) oly
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
hey what hobby shop are you talking about? hopefully not west virginia hobby and crafts. oh yea i live in WV also. we should fly some
Actually we dont have any hobby shops here in WV where I live. I have to travel about 30 minutes into Virginia to the closest one. And there are actually 2 of them less than a mile apart! Neither had any aileron stock.

I got your PM and replied...Im at the very southernmost part of WV...down in Mercer County. I fly with Pirates of the Sky RC Club in Princeton WV.

check our website...

www.piratesoftheskyrc.org

I also webmaster that site, so if you have any questions about the content...just send me a PM or use the email address listed on the site.
ATVAlliance is offline Find More Posts by ATVAlliance
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:52 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thank you oly.
Now if I can just remember that tip a month from now.
Balsa and hinges are ordered.
Thanks guys, this should help my Strykers a lot.

If I just knew which size elevon stock to use. (1 1/2" or 2" - ordered both)
Just moderate power - 600 700W
I'm guessing 1 1/2 now and 2 if I increase speed/weight?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
always better to have more elevon on the strykers,need the extra control at low speeds
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I've got 3 Stryker F27C in various stages of build

2 light ones for friends, and a mid weight for me

All 3 will have 2" elevons, waiting on shipping info from lone star balsa

Hopefully they will have a higher roll rate with the wider elevons

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
393 Posts
elevon hinges

How are you guys doing your hinges? Mopar, I started reading your Part 8 thread where I think you did CA hinges followed up by tape hinges. Is this much durability needed on a mid power setup? ( I'm considering mine middle of the road- 22/20/F5De, 3 or 4S, 4500-3500, 8 or 7 X ? Prop.) I was thinking about using tape only hinges.... they're working great on my high power Demon 40. Also thinking about using the stock verticals... I like the way they look. Bad idea?
Hopefully motor will be headed west this week, yours too Mopar!
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
You will definately need wooden verticals of you plan on any prop over 7"

The tape on my builds was only for sealing the gap on the elevon to trailing edge, the 3m blenderm is not good for strength.

Tape hinges have been used by Peter M very well on his Strykers, if done well, they should be just fine, although I dont know how durable they will end up being, Peter M might have more insight into that. Personally, none of my elevons ever failed at their hinges, and I would rather land with tight hinges than crash with an elevon thats ready to come off, or has just come off. So long as you can keep them attached, it should be fine. I consider flying with wet weather or landing in wet grass ....................... water easily makes sticky tape turn into non-stick tape ....................................

Got the word on the motor ............. great news as I am about to put together another build and thats the motor for it !!
Last edited by moparmyway; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
393 Posts
Basswood trailing edges are in place and I will be using 2" balsa elevons. I was talking about the vert stabs. Is it ok to use the stock ones if I secure them properly? I'll hit Peter up on the hinges.
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,352 Posts
Use sheats of ply painted with epoxy for verticals. Use the stock vertical as a template or look for a template of alternative designs here in this thread. There should be at least 2 or 3 different designs posted about 18 months ago.
I have also used 4mm Plexiglass and it's very good for this purpose if you know how to cut it right.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
Basswood trailing edges are in place and I will be using 2" balsa elevons. I was talking about the vert stabs. Is it ok to use the stock ones if I secure them properly? I'll hit Peter up on the hinges.
Sorry ............... stupid me !
I meant that you will definately need wood verticals if you run any prop over 7"

The larger props suck in the stock verticals, then they get chewed up by the prop, and you crash because there aint no verticals anymore ............