HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:12 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
The hs65 is a more durable servo than the hs55.

However, I can't forsee any stryker crash that would result in stripped gears (cartwheel?) If the crash was severe enough that you stripped your servo gears, you've got a lot more fixing to do Servo gear replacement can be intimidating at first but once you do it, it's not so bad. (As a heli flyer, I've stripped many servo gears! )

For those that are curious, here's a nice page about how to do servo gear replacement

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=46691

(note: to access the video, I believe you need to register)
I have stripped gears...Which is why I am metal geared now.
And yes, it did cartwheel
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
Metal gear is a wise choice on elevons.
Cause if one fails you are DEAD.
No elevator with only one up!
metal gears do cause some noise that could start interference

so HS81s will work fine if ur not gonna be crashing alot
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
Saint-Méen le Grand (BZH)
Joined Jan 2007
123 Posts
I receive today my LS Super Parkjet (my previous engine was LS Parkjet with Cam Speed Prop 5.5x5.5), and I test it with 7x5 APC-E prop.

F27B Stryker - Caméra embarqué - Onboard Flycamone2 (1 min 10 sec)

F27B Stryker - Caméra embarqué - Onboard Flycamone2 19/01/08 (3 min 5 sec)

Weather : 13°C, wind S-O 22km/h (13.67mp/h), gust to 44km/h (27.34mp/h) really cloudy

Cam is FlycamOne 2

Both flight (almost 7mins) were done with same Lipo (Loong-Max 1600 20c), but this one was not empty (I forget empty one in my garage... I twisted them inadvertently...).

So tomorrow I'll test LS Super Parkjet engine with 5.5x5.5 Cam Speed prop and perhaps on monday with Turnigy 2445 with 4.7x4.7 Cam Speed prop
Sirius35 is offline Find More Posts by Sirius35
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
I have stripped gears...Which is why I am metal geared now.
And yes, it did cartwheel
Ahh, OK, I'll have to save up for some metal gear replacements then (and I'll be more careful on low passes) Thanks for sharing.
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
weather sucked these few days and i didnt get to fly

hoping to get a few batteries out of the medusa tomorrow at sierra points

i think i got the downthrust right, i'll see how it performs tomorrow
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
let's talk about motor mounts.

How good is the stock C stryker mount? It seems pretty light at least. I assume the foam in that area should have some reinforcement?

Is it more desirable to mimic the stock mount if going with custom mounts with the motor thrust line above the wing plane, or could the motor be placed more in line with the wing for less drag? I assume this might compromise motor cooling? As well, does this imply that more downthrust might be required?

Can people post some pics of some mounts they have either created or used (ie. third party) with their retrofitted strykers?

thanks

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:18 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
the closer you get the thrust line to the center of the TE, the easier the Stryker will be to trim. The high thrust-line pushes the nose down. The stock motor mount tends to flex under high thrust which lets the motor tilt up in the back creating more down force. The extra down force helps to counter the bad effects to the high thrust-line, but it`s not the best situation.

For high powered motors, I`ve inserted 1/8" plywood mounts flush with the bottom of the wing, then used a clam-shell to mount the motor. Max Products makes a nice one with cooling fins for about $5.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html scroll down

This setup helps eliminate the tendency of the stryker to dip when power is applied. It also requires less reflex in the elevons for level flight, which reduces drag.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jan 20, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:47 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
For high powered motors, I`ve inserted 1/8" plywood mounts flush with the bottom of the wing, then used a clam-shell to mount the motor.
thanks Knife. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. When you say you have mounted the plywood 'flush', are you digging out foam or are you feathering the plywood? How big is the piece of ply you are using?

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Jan 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,059 Posts
You can do either, but I think if you recess the ply into the foam it is stronger and cleaner. A 4"x4" piece with a cutout large enough for the motor will give you enough support.

There is a small center hump of foam on the bottom of the wing. I sand that flat first, then mount the plywood.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
Saint-Méen le Grand (BZH)
Joined Jan 2007
123 Posts
another 2 flight yesterday with 2 onboard camera (flycamOne 1 & FlycamOne 2)

I'm still testing my new Super parkjet Littler Screamer, using a 5.5x5.5 Speed cam prop.

http://www.dailymotion.com/Orion35/v...era-embar_tech

FC27 Striker vue arrière caméra embarqué Vol1 (5 min 54 sec)

FC27 Striker caméra embarqué Flycamone2 (4 min 0 sec)

FC27 Striker vue arrière caméra embarqué Vol2 (3 min 57 sec)

my next test will be on inrunner Turnigy 2445 and APC 4.75x4.75 prop
Sirius35 is offline Find More Posts by Sirius35
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:25 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
I made an "L" bracket from sheet aluminum that screws into wood I glued into slots I routed into the foam.
A little Gorilla glue and water expands it to form-fill. I trim away the excess, and bolted the metal down.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:20 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I had my stryker out this past saturday showing a friend. I said "I will fly upside down now", which I did, but then to right it instead of gradually under-looping or rolling and then pulling up I pushed down on the stick too hard and the plane had too much negative G. My battery flew out, the plane fell from 40-50 feet, and the battery landed in the snow, totally impossible to find (you'd think it would make an indentation, but this was right next to a tree line so it was really hard to find), so now there is a nearly fully charged 3S battery sitting on the ground. I also bent a ton of pins on my receiver, but was able to put them all back, so the only damage was a lost battery and the canopy cover, which I also could not find!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:43 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
I had my stryker out this past saturday showing a friend. I said "I will fly upside down now", which I did, but then to right it instead of gradually under-looping or rolling and then pulling up I pushed down on the stick too hard and the plane had too much negative G. My battery flew out, the plane fell from 40-50 feet, and the battery landed in the snow, totally impossible to find (you'd think it would make an indentation, but this was right next to a tree line so it was really hard to find), so now there is a nearly fully charged 3S battery sitting on the ground. I also bent a ton of pins on my receiver, but was able to put them all back, so the only damage was a lost battery and the canopy cover, which I also could not find!
that's why i use a velcro strap and loop my battery in

i could do a full speed dive and pull out inverted and the battery would still stay intact
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:00 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
that's why i use a velcro strap and loop my battery in

i could do a full speed dive and pull out inverted and the battery would still stay intact
What I have been using is velcro mount (tape) from the side and a wedge between the other side and the bat to force it to stay in, but my wedging had gotten really lazy (was just using some loose wires). I will probably be looking into a different mounting setup for batteries on this plane now
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:13 PM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, ME, Mapleton
Joined May 2005
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
I glued a carbon rod in the groove and filled with light spackle. After I got all of it sanded smooth I then used light .5oz glass and minwax water base polycrylic to do my glassing.
Can you please share with us your source for .5oz fiberglass cloth? Did you cover the whole airframe or just the leading edge?

Thanks!
e2346437 is offline Find More Posts by e2346437