HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
I believe the ABSOLUTE BEST (fastest) 6 cell motor for a Stryker with an APC 8x8 prop (including your EPP biggie) is eithor:

MEGA 22-50-1e
or
MEGA 22-55-1e

And I already have the wheels turning so I can find out !!!
I have had the 50-1e for a while and the 55-1e is "under construction" in the Czech Republic right now !!!
If the 50-1e burns, then the 55-1e will rule !!
Otherwise if the 50-1e survives, then it will have more RPM than the 55-1e

Without a doubt the 55-1e will be better suited to hot dogging with more throttle,
but the fastest one (with 8 seconds MAX WOT) could very well be that 50-1e !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
11 - 12 cells

I'll follow behind with a mere 6S setup

I need to get my latest heavy F-27C up in the air, poor fuse been ready to go since last december

Have Fun,

FCA
Got any build pictures ??
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
395 Posts
Got my airframe today!!! Just ordered Mega 22/20/F5DE. Will my 4500 3S work for cg and all that?
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
Got my airframe today!!! Just ordered Mega 22/20/F5DE. Will my 4500 3S work for cg and all that?
You might have to get creative, but nose heavy on a Stryker is normal !!
CG around 1/2" nose heavy and see how she flies.
Your build will tell you if it will work, because alot depends on how heavy the bare airframe is after you add all of the CF, glue, "popcorned epoxy coating" , etc .........
Keep the wooden verticals loose so you can "fine tune" your CG with them !!!

I think it will work just fine although you might need to cut some foam up front.
No 4 cell ?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
395 Posts
The 4 cell will come later, after I see how the 3 cell fits, cg's and flies.
brolley is offline Find More Posts by brolley
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Not 1 but 2, Fully glassed airframes and parts have been sitting around for way to long

F-27C will have winglets, 22/40?

F-27Q power system already tested by Murdo, 16/30/? Q

Hopefully i will be able to get one up in the air sometime this year

BTW my best glass job yet

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Very nice looking fleet of Strykers !!
Whats the small motor on the yellow and black one ?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:44 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
The 4 cell will come later, after I see how the 3 cell fits, cg's and flies.
The 4 cell will alter the CG pretty good, maybe add some ballast up front with the 3 cell to equal the 4 cell weight, this way there should only be minimal trim changes ?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
The light Stryker has a small 1000Kv Turnigy motor, same plane in the video I posted last week. Just added some black on top, from a distance the black underside and yellow top looks the same

Anyhow it flew well with an 8x5E, just did not have that punch, figure the 2200Mah pack is to heavy

Gonna try an APC 10x7E this weekend, built with low cost parts, intended to be my crazy flying trainer lol

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
102 Posts
WoW! This thread is HUGE! lol

I hope I dont ask something that has already been covered here...but I really dont have time to read 1000+ pages.

I have been flying a stock stryker "C" for a couple years now. I recently came into a new fuse/airframe for a "C" model and would like to make it go fast! I dont want to break the bank either while doing so as I prefer to fly helis and my larger gas planes for the most part. There are only a few other stryker flyers in our club and even though one of them is modded a tad bit..its only a few MPH faster than my stocker. So even a 100mph stryker will be great, but Im hoping for even more than that...budget considered.

What I have, as already stated is a brand new fuse. Also have bought some CF rod to reinforce it and some 1/2 ounce FG cloth and polycrylic. Ive seen Finsters site and am well prepared for the work to be done on the airframe. I also plan on making my own elevons from bass or balsa sheeted with light ply top/bottom.

I also plan on buying a mount from customrc and have plenty of 5s 4000mah 30c batts...but am not against going with 4s either. I have a couple of 3300mah 20c batts as well...but will buy whatever will work best.

My goal is at least 100-120MPH...and even more would be great! Id like to get at least 4mins of runtime, again...more would be great as well.

What I dont want is to have to bungee launch this plane. I dont own one and dont really want to invest in setting one up for just a couple flights every so often. So hand launch really is a must!

So, I guess what I really need to know is that given how I have described how I will mod my airframe (will remove the fake intakes on each side of the fuse too) what power system would get me to my goal? I dont need nor want top of the line stuff. I dont want to have hundreds and hundreds of dollars in this, as like I said we dont fly strykers that much but sure do have a lot of fun when we do fly them. I do realize however I will probably have to spend in the range of 100-200 dollars on this power system and the rest of the things I need to buy. I could put a little more in than that...but im trying to budget myself here not because I cant afford it...I just dont think its practical for me to have that much in a plane I wont use a whole lot.

Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, if I should start a new post for this, mods feel free to move it or remove it and I will start a new one.

Thanks
ATVAlliance is offline Find More Posts by ATVAlliance
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Welcome to the first step !!
Personally, I think there are WAY better ways to re-enforce the airframe than to use polycrillic ........... isnt polycrillic just watered down Elmers glue ?

You stand a MUCH better chance at having a very rigid, reliable Stryker if you dont use any polycrillic, or Elmers glue, and you wont suffer any disappointments due to the stuff cracking or the glass pulling away from the airframe after 50 flights.

To the powertrain ..................
Do you need an ESC as well ?
In this 100-200 dollar budget ................ how much can you afford towards the motor ?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
There are quite a few threads for you to study to get to where you want. E.g. the blogs og Moparmyway, Murdnunoc and Peter M.
To get the speed you want and still have an easy hand launch capability, you should aim for appx 1200watts on a 6.5 or 7 inch prop in a model with AUW about 1.5 kilos.
First: order that customrcparts mount and some 5mm CF tubes, balsa TE- profiles and slow curing epoxy. Second: get your heat gun and some micro balloons (or Talcum powder) ready:-)
The dudes will chime in, I'm sure

Btw: forget the polycrylic.
PS: feel free to browse my blog too...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
How is the supply of bare fuses these days?

On a side note: good to see some action around here again
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
How is the supply of bare fuses these days?
I still have 9 ready to get MOPARIZED !!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
polycrylic, sucks!
I have done it many times it does nothing for you, except give you a nice finish to paint on.
I urge you to do what the OG's say.
They do know what they are talking about!
Arcteryxxx : has a thread for low buget racing guys. You should check it out!
But if money is not a limiting factor, do all that they say.
I own the world biggest and fastest EPP Stryker.
I need help sometimes and these guys are where I look too!
They test and test so you can fly and fly!
Peace and good luck there!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio