SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
Registered User
GryphonRCU's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,833 Posts
Brolley,

When /if placing custom order for 16/X F5D you can ask for option of those 16/45 only shields.

Those front and rear shields with extra large air passages are:
Standard on ALL 16/45
Option on any 16/X F5D smaller than 16/45
Not an option on "none" F5D shorter than 16/45

I assume 3-7 Euro price range??? Not sure.

---------

Mopar, thanks for the pics.


Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Brolley,
Gryphon has suggested a possiblity for the 36mm MEGA motors.
I too would suggest you abandon any 28mm motor you are looking at and go for the 36mm !! (especially knowing how you like the increased speed when flying your wing)

They are better at handling bigger props, and better at using the power in flight !

FYI

A 22-40-1 has about 2700 kv
A 22-40-1e has about 2200 kv

The 22-20-F5De should be a great setup as well ............ somewhere near 2160 kv
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Sorry to go off topic but:
Hi all I'm a newbie on here and was just wondering what thoughts u have on my set up on my Stryker, I have a HET 2W-23 and have been running it on a 4cell set up using 3200 overlander extreme 60c battery and was producing around 1200watts on a cam speed 4.7X4.7 prob not sure what speed it does but was pulling around 77amps and eventually burnt out my jeti spinn 55 esc so got a 100amp in there now and just bought a 5cell 2200 55c gens ace battery and just been out and tried it but the wind was so blustery prob around 30mph or so and was pulling just shy of 1700watts on the same prop and 93amps but was a handful in the wind, I have balsa ailerons and balsa upright support bits what are trimmed down so they aren't as high and was just wondering if anyone would know what kind of speeds this thing would be doing etc to give me an idea, I have had the plane since they came out and love it ha it's looking abit battered now but gaffa tape does it wonders lol
Kirky1980 is offline Find More Posts by Kirky1980
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Registered User
brolley's Avatar
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
Gryph, Mopar
I really like the idea of going with a 36mm. Here's what I'm after...
don't want to make it too heavy- so 22/20
want to use 3s or 4s
want it to be fun.... fast acceleration, good vertical, decent WOT ~ 140ish
....... 22/20xxx?
Can I use an 8" prop on stryker?
How about a 22/20 F5D?
I know you mentioned it Gryphon, just wondering if it will fit my needs as mentioned.
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
Registered User
GryphonRCU's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,833 Posts
brolley,

Historically I've been against 22/20 because for its weight I would rather go after other options.
That was before "E" rotor option.

I only mentioned it this time in comparison to the AWESOME 16/25 F5D if you could get past the extra 40ish grams or so (other benefits were listed previously)....and it can take more AMPs too.

KV wise it is in the ball park for same 3S and 4S application in Stryker.
Should allow for 5S in FJ/FJU/similar.

***Its lower resistance will make up part of its little lower KV compared to 16/25 F5D

___

E rotor in 22X is something different than in 16/X

In 22/X ; E rotor will drop KV by 23% or so (lack of it {E} raises the KV by 30%) [Per MEGA]

______

We can double check the KV range of 22/20/2E F5D before ordering.
You will need Gary's MEGA 36mm ONLY mount for 22/45 and shorter motors.
http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...products_id=61


Mopar, Do you also think the prop sizes of the above motor will be fairly similar to 16/25/2CE F5D and 16/25/2C F5D ?


Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:26 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirky1980 View Post
Sorry to go off topic but:
Hi all I'm a newbie on here and was just wondering what thoughts u have on my set up on my Stryker, I have a HET 2W-23 and have been running it on a 4cell set up using 3200 overlander extreme 60c battery and was producing around 1200watts on a cam speed 4.7X4.7 prob not sure what speed it does but was pulling around 77amps and eventually burnt out my jeti spinn 55 esc so got a 100amp in there now and just bought a 5cell 2200 55c gens ace battery and just been out and tried it but the wind was so blustery prob around 30mph or so and was pulling just shy of 1700watts on the same prop and 93amps but was a handful in the wind, I have balsa ailerons and balsa upright support bits what are trimmed down so they aren't as high and was just wondering if anyone would know what kind of speeds this thing would be doing etc to give me an idea, I have had the plane since they came out and love it ha it's looking abit battered now but gaffa tape does it wonders lol
Hi Kirky,
Best answer is for you to video your flight. Get some straight and level WOT runs as close to the camera as possible, or dive and fly past the camera, then we can doppler it for you.

If you want true speeds, make a few opposite direction passes and we can show you what it would be like if there was no wind.

Your prop choice is rather terrible, I must say. It might be better for you to drop down to 3 cells and run some passes with an APC E 6x5.5 prop. You might be surprised at your speed, and should really love the vertical !

Got any pictures ?
Post them up !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Mopar, Do you also think the prop sizes of the above motor will be fairly similar to 16/25/2CE F5D and 16/25/2C F5D ?


Gryphon
I think that the prop sizes on the 22-20-F5De will give him better options than the 16-25-F5Dce.

The lower kv, I think, will put him with 7" props on 4 cells. I am pretty sure on those actual kv guestimates, but lets see what MEGA says the kv should be.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:33 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
Gryph, Mopar
I really like the idea of going with a 36mm. Here's what I'm after...
don't want to make it too heavy- so 22/20
want to use 3s or 4s
want it to be fun.... fast acceleration, good vertical, decent WOT ~ 140ish
....... 22/20xxx?
Can I use an 8" prop on stryker?
How about a 22/20 F5D?
I know you mentioned it Gryphon, just wondering if it will fit my needs as mentioned.
I think the 22-20-F5De is best choice for you !!
8" prop on Stryker is AWESOME, it would dictate 3 cells on that motor, pending confirmation of the guestimated kv. 8x6 or 8x7 are both wicked vertical props !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:16 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Arcteryxxx's Avatar
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
8x6 or 8x7 are both wicked vertical props !!
Yes they are!
MEGA 16/40/1.5 SCE Vertical climb on 4S, APC8x6Sport (0 min 15 sec)
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:19 AM
Registered User
GryphonRCU's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
I think that the prop sizes on the 22-20-F5De will give him better options than the 16-25-F5Dce.

The lower kv, I think, will put him with 7" props on 4 cells. I am pretty sure on those actual kv guestimates, but lets see what MEGA says the kv should be.

Ah, exploring the upper celing I see.
Hell yeah, it will swing larger prop for more power than possible w/ 16/25 with same prop.


G.
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:19 AM
Registered User
Peter M's Avatar
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Guys,
Can I put forward a slightly different prospective of what Brad wants?

Brad talks about doing 140mph plus and having it not "too heavy". (I also understand that he has a bungee launch setup that he uses for his powerful Demon.)

To me that still suggests that the usual cf reinforcing, balsa elevons, ply fins and "popcorn" epoxy coating will be needed otherwise it will be unpleasant to fly at WOT.

So I'm thinking if he has to go to that much effort with the airframe, why don't we recommend say a 22/30 or even bigger? He could run low pitch 8 inch props for unlimited vertical and then swap to a square pitch 7 inch prop for the high speed stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway......
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:17 AM
Registered User
cjbucher's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirky1980 View Post
Sorry to go off topic but:
Hi all I'm a newbie on here and was just wondering what thoughts u have on my set up on my Stryker, I have a HET 2W-23 and have been running it on a 4cell set up using 3200 overlander extreme 60c battery and was producing around 1200watts on a cam speed 4.7X4.7 prob not sure what speed it does but was pulling around 77amps and eventually burnt out my jeti spinn 55 esc so got a 100amp in there now and just bought a 5cell 2200 55c gens ace battery and just been out and tried it but the wind was so blustery prob around 30mph or so and was pulling just shy of 1700watts on the same prop and 93amps but was a handful in the wind, I have balsa ailerons and balsa upright support bits what are trimmed down so they aren't as high and was just wondering if anyone would know what kind of speeds this thing would be doing etc to give me an idea, I have had the plane since they came out and love it ha it's looking abit battered now but gaffa tape does it wonders lol
It's amazing you haven't burned up that motor. It's only rated for 850 watts. One thing to be aware of on electric motors. When you push it way past it's rating, your efficiency drops dramatically to the point where your motor is nothing more than a space heater...

At 1700 watts that motor must be getting very hot.

Strykers like bigger props. While a 4.7x4.7 will work but with a big not so aerodynamic plane like the Stryker, you are going to hit a wall in top speed unless you go bigger on prop size. But don't go bigger on the prop with a 5s on that motor - you will surely burn it up.

If you are interested in how fast it's going now, post up a video of your plane doing level fly by's. There's lots of us out there that can doppler it for you.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Guys,
Can I put forward a slightly different prospective of what Brad wants?

Brad talks about doing 140mph plus and having it not "too heavy". (I also understand that he has a bungee launch setup that he uses for his powerful Demon.)

To me that still suggests that the usual cf reinforcing, balsa elevons, ply fins and "popcorn" epoxy coating will be needed otherwise it will be unpleasant to fly at WOT.

So I'm thinking if he has to go to that much effort with the airframe, why don't we recommend say a 22/30 or even bigger? He could run low pitch 8 inch props for unlimited vertical and then swap to a square pitch 7 inch prop for the high speed stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway......
I usually try to get Dudes to go for bigger motors so Dudes can grow.
Its up to him, but I think the 22-20-F5De is perfect for keeping AUW down.

What do you think Brad, how heavy of a motor do you think can you run, and what size and cell count batts will you be running ?

Any idea of targeted max AUW ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
brolley's Avatar
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
I have a friend who also wants to jump on the 22XXX band wagon but is going for faster speeds than me.
I'm gonna go with the 22/20/F5De. Of course he wants to be faster than me so is looking for a 22 motor and using 5-6S.
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker That can fly?!? Parkflyers 109 Sep 26, 2012 10:54 PM
Discussion Parkzone's New F-27C Stryker itspat Parkflyers 1 Nov 08, 2011 07:56 PM
Mini-Review F-27C Stryker Review That can fly?!? Parkflyers 27 Jul 29, 2010 08:25 PM
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker 3S 11.1 V Balance Plug WDP Batteries and Chargers 12 Oct 26, 2009 08:44 AM
Discussion Coming soon! F-27C Stryker RTF with lipo and brushless Solcat Electric Plane Talk 0 May 31, 2006 12:34 PM