HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:35 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,587 Posts
This watt meter is $24 at hobby partz: http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-twometer.html

It's a watt meter up to 100 amps, it also measures amp hours going in and out of your battery (running on a motor and charging), it will measure your battery voltage using the balance tap and show you individual cell voltages, and as a bonus it can even balance your battery (it's kinda slow at that though so if you run really large cells it can take an hour or more to balance if a battery is way out of balance (but great on smaller battery packs).
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
Rob
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rob View Post
Almost finished putting this thing together. 30 amp e flight esc, 6.5 x 4.5 and a spektrum AR400 reciever. I got the motor mount from customrcparts.com it seems a bit heavy, but let's see how it goes, I see a lot of guys using these on their heavys.

I am going to run a 2700 4s battery for speed and a 2200 3s to maiden and get flight footage with a little camera that I have (not hd)

I made balsa elevons used ca hinges and reenforced them with carbon fiber. I also reenforced the airfame as seen in the pictures.

I had a few flights with a similar set up, but had an issue on the 4s with the elevon ripping out of the airframe and then she burned in. I recovered everything from the crash and recycled a lot of stuff. I'm excited and feel like she's going to fly well.

I think that the prop that I have on there works pretty well, but I am open to suggestions.

The prop adapter wasn't bent, it's the shaft of the motor. Is that something that I can swap out? I flew it anyway, got a fast pass of 107.4 with the wind using the rc speedo app for android, with several others ranging from 94 against the wind with 4s. I feel like if that shaft was straight I could get even more speed. She was losing power to the motor from time to time, I wonder if that's the esc or if it has to do with the shaft being bent. I gotta wait until pay day to get any more tools/motors so I don't know what is the amperage or wattage. She flew better than my Q. I am going to do a balsa/carbon fiber mod on the elevons of my Q when I rebuild her.

I put a heat sink on the motor and I am amazed how much that really does help to cool it.

I know that my clear tape cover sucks, but it's all I got right now. Also open to suggestions there.

I flew her with 3s and the camera too. Flew great, but the camera detached on landing and I lost the footage (camera good to go).
_rob is offline Find More Posts by _rob
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rob View Post
The prop adapter wasn't bent, it's the shaft of the motor. Is that something that I can swap out? I flew it anyway, got a fast pass of 107.4 with the wind using the rc speedo app for android, with several others ranging from 94 against the wind with 4s. I feel like if that shaft was straight I could get even more speed. She was losing power to the motor from time to time, I wonder if that's the esc or if it has to do with the shaft being bent. I gotta wait until pay day to get any more tools/motors so I don't know what is the amperage or wattage. She flew better than my Q. I am going to do a balsa/carbon fiber mod on the elevons of my Q when I rebuild her.

I put a heat sink on the motor and I am amazed how much that really does help to cool it.

I know that my clear tape cover sucks, but it's all I got right now. Also open to suggestions there.

I flew her with 3s and the camera too. Flew great, but the camera detached on landing and I lost the footage (camera good to go).
Unfortunately, Ammo never offered replacement shafts. But if the bend is minor you might be able to straighten it enough to be ok.

I found that a light tap with a hammer to bend it back to center works better than a pliers on these shafts. A pliers usually ends up flexing it till it breaks but a quick hit from a hammer seems to straighten it up with less risk of breaking the shaft. I have 2 ammo motors where bad landings caused slight bends that I was able to get out with a light tap of a hammer. Both motors continue to work fine.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:34 AM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
Thanks mate; very elpfull.

She weighs in at 635g AUW and apart from some additional epoxy and tape looks bog std.

Stiff breeze up the back paddock this arvo so out we went. Launched with ~2/3 throttle from leather-gloved left hand; no worries. This baby should be trimmed dead neutral. I'm moving the cg back and feeding in some exponential.

Very sharp stick conditioner when the slopes aren't on (glider jock through and through I'm afraid).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Many of the strykers in this thread are glass-covered high-powered monsters that will hit 150-200 mph. I think the 3 kg end of that bracket probably need bungy launcher with rails. I did a relatively stock build and it came out to 750g with a Hyperion 3S2200 LiPo. Should help you figure out how stock it might be.
Parkzone's CoG marks are the circular divots in the hand launch grip holes. You may prefer slightly nose heavy.
Most people tend to hand launch stock(ish) strykers with some throttle, maybe 1/4 to 2/3 depending on the motor/prop combo, but a no-power launch is possible if you've got the skills and not so bad if you've got some wind. I prefer a stand up bungy launch.
Can't remember what I've got for throws but it was basically as much as I could get from the stock elevons - plastic laminated depron - after working the hinges by hand. Some up elevator (reflex) is going to be needed for level flight, a bit more for launch.
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:08 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,444 Posts
Super Stryker

I know some of you have been waiting for this.
I finally got around to having time to fly it.
Super Stryker (5 min 8 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:50 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,444 Posts
This is my rebuilt stryker.
I got it from Merril, when he thought it was time for him to switch bodies.
Well I covered it in Marine Epoxy
Then let it harden for 3 days. Then I painted it.
and before the paint dryed. I covered it in tape.

1kw Stryker (3 min 37 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,635 Posts
I want to attach the hatch and forward canopy together and hinge them as I read earlier in this thread. Anyone suggest a good glue, or should i try a couple of small screws?
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:06 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Rick,
I use CA and kicker and a couple screws like these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...of_100pc_.html

I then cut the screw off short underneath and add a dob of hot glue on the end of the screw to stop it damaging the battery or my fingers.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Well tried out my stock Stryker on 4s and she's deffinantly humming right along. I noticed in a dive I can not really pull out unless I reduce throttle. Feels very sluggish to respond. Stock servos not up to the task or whats going on???
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Probably the elevons flexing and the wing also.
Have you re-enforced it at all in any way ?
Maybe some pictures ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
i flew my stryker with 70mm edf and 4 cell battery today... it flew like a champ for the first three minutes of the flight, then i noticed it was responding unusually to control inputs, so i throttled down and landed....
the e.d.f. unit had torqued itself and the (homemade) motor mount almost completely off the fuse....
the foam all around the mount was torn and i was lucky to have gotten her down in 1 piece....
back to the drawing board!!!!!! fun fun fun.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
i flew my stryker with 70mm edf and 4 cell battery today... it flew like a champ for the first three minutes of the flight, then i noticed it was responding unusually to control inputs, so i throttled down and landed....
the e.d.f. unit had torqued itself and the (homemade) motor mount almost completely off the fuse....
the foam all around the mount was torn and i was lucky to have gotten her down in 1 piece....
back to the drawing board!!!!!! fun fun fun.
Did you put CF under your mount ?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
mopar,
of course not....lol i'm trying to figure out how to strengthen it without adding a lot of weight..
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,991 Posts
A hollow CF tube with gorilla glue will only add a few grams and add alot of support for your EDF.

Funny, 2 weeks ago I was in touch with Gary @ Custom RC Parts, he is getting an 80mm EDF unit from me this week and he will be working on making an adapter so we can bolt it up to his incredible Stryker mount.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
mopar,
i used a few wooden coffee stirrer sticks, some fiberglass cloth, and slathered all that with finishing resin epoxy on both top and bottom about a couple inches out from the base of the mount...
that outta hold this bad boy in there!!!i may still add a c/f rod between the fins, attached to the top of the fan housing.... we will find out if it holds next weekend!!!!
while it was a short flight, it trimmed out with only a click or two of down and left, it had plenty of power, and flew with authority....but i never really got to give it full throttle for a few seconds,,
Last edited by iflyrc1012; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:40 PM.