HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, OH, Wooster
Joined Feb 2005
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Have any of you fellows ever tried lower kv motors with bigger props. Something like a 1700 or 1800kv and an 8 by 6 or larger? I would think you'd get a lot of thrust. Maybe launch into space?
i have a stryker with a park 400 and an 8/8 on it and it flys good
its not all that fast but it flys
stroland is offline Find More Posts by stroland
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:07 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercarter View Post
...But how do you fellas go off the flat? I read that a hefty throw dead-stick straight and level then feed in the power and climb away is the go. But as this little baby is unlikely to be factory spec and is a little worse for wear, I'm wondering about CofG, control throws and any tricks you might have up your experienced sleeves to minimise the crunch factor.
Many of the strykers in this thread are glass-covered high-powered monsters that will hit 150-200 mph. I think the 3 kg end of that bracket probably need bungy launcher with rails. I did a relatively stock build and it came out to 750g with a Hyperion 3S2200 LiPo. Should help you figure out how stock it might be.

Parkzone's CoG marks are the circular divots in the hand launch grip holes. You may prefer slightly nose heavy.

Most people tend to hand launch stock(ish) strykers with some throttle, maybe 1/4 to 2/3 depending on the motor/prop combo, but a no-power launch is possible if you've got the skills and not so bad if you've got some wind. I prefer a stand up bungy launch.

Can't remember what I've got for throws but it was basically as much as I could get from the stock elevons - plastic laminated depron - after working the hinges by hand. Some up elevator (reflex) is going to be needed for level flight, a bit more for launch.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:49 PM
Flying In Langley B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
I am constructing two new strykers which will be running at least 1 of the e-flite 2700s; they seem to be bullet proof and I had no complaints. Just pricy!!
The test results were with the new (to me) Turnigy 2836-3200. Someone recommended I buy a larger esc; but I don't see where that would drop the incredibly high readings. Long weekend up here, but local shop should be open tomorrow. I will see what they have in smaller props. This motor was designed to spin a fan, so that could also be an issue. Be nice to solve it as it will hang on the wall for a while. Should be flying one of the new planes tomorrow. Added my first balsa elevons; will see how that goes.
needlenoses is offline Find More Posts by needlenoses
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:57 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
needlenoses,
Fly that plane on a 3s and let's see what you think of it.
It's not rated 4s and stresses out.
If you want to run 4s, put the 2350kv version of that same motor in.

APC 6x4 sport will do fine with both setups.

I'm using each of those motors in my 2 Strykers.
Getting where I rarely fly the 3200.
4s is sweet.
I prefer 1800 4s. A 2200 just flew poorly to me. Makes it nose heavy and takes the glide out of it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Aug 07, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:35 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
I am constructing two new strykers which will be running at least 1 of the e-flite 2700s; they seem to be bullet proof and I had no complaints. Just pricy!!
The test results were with the new (to me) Turnigy 2836-3200. Someone recommended I buy a larger esc; but I don't see where that would drop the incredibly high readings. Long weekend up here, but local shop should be open tomorrow. I will see what they have in smaller props. This motor was designed to spin a fan, so that could also be an issue. Be nice to solve it as it will hang on the wall for a while. Should be flying one of the new planes tomorrow. Added my first balsa elevons; will see how that goes.
The e-flite 2700 can run the Pylon props from APC. You are going to like the 6.5" prop way over any 6" prop. Run it on 3 cells and start with a 6.5x5, make sure you have added a heatsink to the motor.

The Turnigy ................. be VERY carefull not to push it past its ratings. EDF or not, it states 3200kv ............... thats kind of high, even for a 3 cell, so you might be limited by prop size.

I suggest the 6.5" props due to your balsa elevons. I am assuming you added some CF tubing as well, so you have a heavier Stryker than normal, and a 6" prop will most likely lead to some "nail biting" launches
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
In my way of thinking, going from a 6X4 to a 6X5 will only increase the amp/watt reading with the 3-cello; I would think that I should drop DOWN in prop size to something like a 5.5X 4.5.

THe plane I am playing with had not been beefed up, but I am in the process of putting carbon rods in the Stryker that I want to use for speed. Just takes time. And the third stryker I will keep basically stock except for the e-flite 2700kv and 40 amp esc. That setup had been my "bread and butter" for easy fun flying for some time now.

Is there an easy way to post photos here.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Your response confuses me.
You said 4s was too powerful.
The 3200 on 3s w. a 6x4 is perfect. No need to go smaller prop. You may be ok to go bigger as suggested even. I haven't tried that yet but I bet the motor can handle it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Keep in mind that I am new to this learning curve. What I said in one of my previous posts was that with a 3S battery, and the 6X4 prop, I am (to me) pushing a bit too far over the edge with readings of 86.6 amps/696 Watts. I am running a 60 amp esc, and the motor is rated at 650 watts. I know that this is a static test, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the numbers if I am this close. Another bit of data shows that this setup of mine does not like 65C batteries (3S), and does like 25C batteries. 65C battery cuases the ESC to pulse rapidly while flying, and on the ground. Again, I am trying to just get a handle on what is happening. Writing everything down.

Did pick up two props to try with the 4-cell to just see how much the numbers are changed.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:18 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,990 Posts
Quote:
In my way of thinking, going from a 6X4 to a 6X5 will only increase the amp/watt reading with the 3-cello; I would think that I should drop DOWN in prop size to something like a 5.5X 4.5.THe plane I am playing with had not been beefed up, but I am in the process of putting carbon rods in the Stryker that I want to use for speed. Just takes time. And the third stryker I will keep basically stock except for the e-flite 2700kv and 40 amp esc. That setup had been my "bread and butter" for easy fun flying for some time now.

Is there an easy way to post photos here.
I suggested you run a 6 and 1/2 inch diameter prop ......................
Not a 6x5 prop, but a 6.5x5 prop.

Dropping down in prop size will not get you where you think it will. You wont have enough thrust to gain significant speed, and you will run the risk of some hairy launches.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Thanks. I will try to pick one up and try it out.

Just a quick comment on ordering motors from HOBBYKING. One of the two Turnigy motors was no good right out of the box. Ordering from HOBBYKING was my error; they want me to ship the motor back to CHINA to the warranty repair department. I will check into it, but I don't think that I will be paying the shipping to CHINA for an eighteen dollar motor. So the motor will likely become a boat anchor, and I WILL NOT ORDER FROM HOBBYKING again.

There, thats off my chest; had a great day flying my Mini-ultra Stick in the wind. Good way to releive stress.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:34 PM
Rob
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Rebuild almost complete

Almost finished putting this thing together. 30 amp e flight esc, 6.5 x 4.5 and a spektrum AR400 reciever. I got the motor mount from customrcparts.com it seems a bit heavy, but let's see how it goes, I see a lot of guys using these on their heavys.

I am going to run a 2700 4s battery for speed and a 2200 3s to maiden and get flight footage with a little camera that I have (not hd)

I made balsa elevons used ca hinges and reenforced them with carbon fiber. I also reenforced the airfame as seen in the pictures.

I had a few flights with a similar set up, but had an issue on the 4s with the elevon ripping out of the airframe and then she burned in. I recovered everything from the crash and recycled a lot of stuff. I'm excited and feel like she's going to fly well.

I think that the prop that I have on there works pretty well, but I am open to suggestions.
_rob is offline Find More Posts by _rob
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Looks like mine from the bottom; hope that you have better luck than I did with electronics. My e-flite 2700kv was not designed for a 4-cell , but with a 40amp esc and a 6X4 prop, it was running within parameters. Not quite 100mph with my 2600 3s. Like to see what amp/watt reading you are getting!!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
Salem In
Joined Dec 2010
60 Posts
I ran that same ammo motor for a couple of years on 3s. When I tried it on 4s got smokin hot. Put a heat sink on it
I am currently using a cheapo from value hobby(which they don't carry anymore)
on 4s 6x4.....does pretty good. But without a heat sink I do believe I would have smoked it a long time ago.
Tark50 is offline Find More Posts by Tark50
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:50 AM
Rob
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Looks like mine from the bottom; hope that you have better luck than I did with electronics. My e-flite 2700kv was not designed for a 4-cell , but with a 40amp esc and a 6X4 prop, it was running within parameters. Not quite 100mph with my 2600 3s. Like to see what amp/watt reading you are getting!!
I gotta get a new prop adapter today, the old one is bent now that I look at it. I am relatively new at this. How do you get those readings?
_rob is offline Find More Posts by _rob
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rob View Post
I gotta get a new prop adapter today, the old one is bent now that I look at it. I am relatively new at this. How do you get those readings?
watt meter . its a great tool to have when you fly electrics . its actually a must . that way you dont burn anything out like esc and motor

this is where i got mine from got it in three days . awesome customer service
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...TER/Categories
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN