HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 03:34 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
OK, I can buy a Q setup (motor and ESC from a local friend. I need a cheap mount so I can buy the motor and ESC. Later I will upgrade. Any ideas? Is the stick in a groove a no go or is it a good start for now?
You decide
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 06:06 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
You decide
Ouch. Was this from a crash or did it tear itself up?

Very convincing too.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old May 01, 2012, 06:17 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
If you look carefully at the photos, you can see that it tore itself while in flight. Here are some more photos of that telling day. The motor is a tiny Micro Dan 2900 running on 3s2200 batts.

If that little motor can break the mount ................just imaging what something stronger or heavier will do
Old May 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,572 Posts
Looks like that motor mount is a poor design. The placement of the motor mount screws created some very thin weak points on that mount.

Right now I'm actually using a stick mount on my Stryker with my 500 watt Ammo setup. I cut a groove for the stick and hot glued it in. It's in there very solid. However I'm using a plastic motor mount from an old gearbox to hold the motor in. It's been working great for a few years now (I've had several different motors in there over the years - mostly experimenting). The only minus is that it's a pain in the butt to change the thrust angle. Basically you need to heat up a butter knife and use it to to melt the hot glue to free up the stick mount and then re-glue it in. (I had to do this twice to get the angle right).

The custom rc motor mount looks much better but I don't think it was around when I made my stick mount and for now I don't really want to go back and mess with it.

And, I'd also like to point out that the stick mount is fine for lower powered setups but I definitely would not recommend it for higher powered setups. (500-600 watts is probably the limit on a hot glued stick mount).
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
If you look carefully at the photos, you can see that it tore itself while in flight. Here are some more photos of that telling day. The motor is a tiny Micro Dan 2900 running on 3s2200 batts.

If that little motor can break the mount ................just imaging what something stronger or heavier will do
In the words of Darth Vader
Impressive, most impressive
Old May 01, 2012, 10:08 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
And, I'd also like to point out that the stick mount is fine for lower powered setups but I definitely would not recommend it for higher powered setups. (500-600 watts is probably the limit on a hot glued stick mount).
You might wish to revise your power limit on the stick mount
Old May 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,572 Posts
Quote:
You might wish to revise your power limit on the stick mount
I don't have one of those brittle aluminum mounts. The stick mount itself is plenty strong. It's what you attach at the end of the of the stick that matters.

Also, I kinda think that what you experienced might be a fluke. What are the odds of an aluminum mount cracking like that? More than likely it was a defect in the mount.

Kinda like saying the motor mount in your car cracked when you stomped on the pedal. It doesn't mean the car is junk - it just means there was a bad part in there. Defects do happen.

To me at 600 watts and above, the torque from the motor might be strong enough to twist the stick out of the foam. Below that, it's not likely to happen.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
That was my second stick mount.
The first one was the E-Flite plastic one, and that one failed with an ARC 28-38-3 with 4 cells and a APC E 6x5.5 prop.

My LHS owner said "I told you so" when I brought the broken aluminum mount to him so he could see it. I didnt try to get any refund or anything, just letting him know that those mounts were just as much junk as the plastic ones

I do admit, the stick itself never failed, nor did the foam it was attached to. So if you can mount a motor to a stick, then so long as the mount itself doesnt fail, the stick should hold up to your expectations .......................... that just seems like alot of "ifs" ................ especially since Gary makes awesome Custom RC Parts Stryker mount kits for under $40
Old May 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
If you do choose to use the stock mount, make sure and wrap the back end of the motor with one or two layers of double sided tape before you push the motor in the mount. They come from the factory that way, and it spreads the load around the mount instead of all on the plastic tabs.

I had all the stock parts from a Stryker, and decided to put my original back to box stock.
The tabs on the mount kept cracking after just a couple of flights. Then I remembered the tape from the original.
Two layers of scotch double sided tape and it fits very snuggly and hasn't cracked the tabs again.

I do have the Custom RC setup on another Stryker and it is a great mount when you are ready.
I never knew about the tape. Thanks for the tip.
My tabs have been fine running 3200 and 2350 4s. All I've done is dremmel drum some can clearance.
Was yours an older issue stock mount? Has there been a material change? The mounts that you get now don't have tape with them.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old May 03, 2012, 06:31 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,572 Posts
Here's a pic of my stick mounted Stryker motor mount. There's a 24-45-2900 kv Ammo motor in it with a 6x4 prop. It pulls 525 watts static (which is pushing it for that motor but I don't run full throttle all the time so it never gets that hot).

Notice the stick mount is pretty much embedded into the foam (hot glued in). The black plastic mount was from a gearbox that came in one of the plane kits I bought from somewhere. Happened to fit the 24 mm motor diameter well. I also have one for a 28 mm motor. I think I picked it up at an LHS. Both mounts have held up over the years. I had this exact stick mount in my "Mini Stryker" before I crashed it. The crash did not break it.

The plastic does feel a little flexible - maybe that's why it's held up so well?

(ignore the black marks next to the stick. That is just for looks. The old original motor mount for a brushed 480 motor left imprints in the foam. I used black tape to make it look like it's part of the mount )
Old May 03, 2012, 06:56 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,983 Posts
Thats one solid looking mount !!
The E-Flite mount doesnt have 1/2 the material that one does.
The stick I used is 1/2 square bass, and sat just above the foam. I used hot glue to hold it in, there just like you ....................... and I never had a problem with the stick, just the mounts. I never thought that little Micro Dan motor would have the bowls to break the aluminum mount, but since the Custom RC Parts mounts have been working without any problems, really without a single hiccup or hitch, I "stick" with them (pun intended )
Old May 03, 2012, 10:29 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Thats one solid looking mount !!
The E-Flite mount doesnt have 1/2 the material that one does.
The stick I used is 1/2 square bass, and sat just above the foam. I used hot glue to hold it in, there just like you ....................... and I never had a problem with the stick, just the mounts. I never thought that little Micro Dan motor would have the bowls to break the aluminum mount, but since the Custom RC Parts mounts have been working without any problems, really without a single hiccup or hitch, I "stick" with them (pun intended )
I'm impressed that the Micro Dan did that too. One day I ought to try that motor for a lightweight plane. Seems to have a lot of oomph considering how light it is.

I do agree the Custom RC mount is the better way to go. Solid, easy to adjust and can support a variety of motors. For me I built the stick mount because there weren't many good choices back then (that Stryker is 7 years old!)
Old May 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
The wind blew down some of the big foam parts and I have only a leading edge repair to make leaving me with 2 airframes. Hmmmmm. I now have some experimenting to do. Use the stick as a test bed and keep a stocker. Get the good mount and move the test bed electronics to that airframe. Maybe lighten one up for play....

And my wife wonders why I need more than one plane!
Old May 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,323 Posts
LOL! Ask your wife why she needs more than one pair of shoes...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
LOL! Ask your wife why she needs more than one pair of shoes...
Sadly she is not a shoe magnet. She does get her hair done regularly ($100) and I shave my own. That's my airplane budget. Her can is airconditioned too. We live in Florida so I get some moral authority on discresionary spending.

Who really wins a spouse argument anyway. Like fling an ultramicro in a 30 knot wind.