HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:43 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
next step is adding that massive fin. i opted not to include rudder in this bird, but one could likely be easily added. all surfaces are 100%, no extra large scaling or anything. you can see the nice slot designed into the tail to accept and support the motor mount. the second pic shows the 'cage' that wraps around the motor mount stick. i listed a motor mount stick length on the plans, but one should probably take the time at this point to mock out the placement of the motor on the stick with fin and elevators and prop and just make sure there is enough clearance to prevent a prop strike.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
recognize the pieces on that blue foam in the backdrop of the first pic?... its pieces to dcobra's f-117
-beanie
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
mike, check your email, i think i got the fix that you were asking for.
-beanie
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
recognize the pieces on that blue foam in the backdrop of the first pic?... its pieces to dcobra's f-117
-beanie
Hehe...looks familiar!

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
now with the fin in place, the next top fuselage piece can be added. it has a slit for the fin. after that, the final 2 pieces of the top fuse are added (left and right side of the final top fuse section). now she is startin' to look the part.
-beanie
Old Aug 30, 2006, 01:14 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
Hi Ben,

Ive got 3 servos (7.5g) some carbon tubes and a Y-cable, today
and start your Mig21 this weekend.

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:35 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
H-J: cool! i can't wait to hear some feedback on the plans. MLem just finished taping his plans together. let me know if you want a single sheet set of plans... i think i figured it out, but haven't confirmed the scale yet.

ok, now on to the bottom portion of the plane. just like the top, i add the bulkheads slowly one by one. i used the template to cut out the planform fuse, pulled it off the top and laid it down on the bottom to mark off where the bulkheads are supposed to go. here we go:
-beanie
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
now, the bottom fuse sheeting is applied. this is just like the top. i pulled the foam against a sharp table edge to get the curve. J mentioned a different technique with a wooden dowel... i'll have to give that a try some time. the skin templates i made fit just right, but that will depend on exact placement of the bulkheads. i would recommend that anyone building from the plans plan on a millimeter or so overcut followed by sanding to achieve the correct fit. i guess it doesn't really matter though since the bird will get a coating of spackle to fill in the gaps.

-beanie
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:22 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
status report. this is what she looks like at this stage of the game. next up is the turtledeck followed by the canopy. then we get to some nice doodad accent pieces that round her out.
-beanie
Old Aug 31, 2006, 05:53 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
THX!

I dont need a single sheet. There were some lines missing, while printing the letter format on A4 [297mm x 210m]. But using my A3 printer [420mm x 297mm] Ive got no problems.

Yours is really starting to look like a MIG21!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
turtledeck. this is pretty straightforward. its just like the fuse, except that it is built on it own first. then after completed, it is glued to the rest of the bird. i just found it easier this way. the same foam bending technique was used. i hit these parts with a heat gun to get the pieces to keep their shape a little better since the curvature is a little more severe. the first turtledeck bulkhead is flush with the turtledeck sheeting. the others are shared between 2 sectional pieces. i just moved along adding bulkhead, then section, then next bulkhead and etc until she is completed. then i sanded a gentle angle into the lateral sides so that it would fit onto the fuselage smoothly. i also sanded a away a little of the base of the bulkhead where needed to achieve a close fit with the fuse.
-beanie
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:24 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Jun 2003
246 Posts
whew, beanie you building machine. 1.0 looking good.

2.0 plan testing coming along, albeit slowly.

verfied the plans tape together ok. made a change to the canopy labels. updated the legend. and verfied the scale was correct.

this weekend is for cutting and starting the real build. thanks beanie for the cool plans.

mike
MLem is offline Find More Posts by MLem
Old Sep 01, 2006, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hey mike-
sure! no problems for the plans. looks like you have a lot of room for building... lucky you! i try to arrange pieces such that if it doesn't have to cut across 5 pages and fits onto just 2 pages, i rearrange so that you just have to cut once and tape once. that's why the plans come out on such large sheets. i hope it wasn't an inconvenience. can't wait to hear a status report as you build.
-beanie
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
after some sanding, the turtledeck should slide right into place on the fuse. i used the hot glue gun; this was a little tough to use because there is so much surface area that it would cool down before i could get it in place. so, i ended up gluing it piecemeal.
-beanie
Old Sep 02, 2006, 12:01 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
That looks pretty cool Ben...hurry up and get back to the BONE

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra