HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:25 PM
AMA848091
St. Charles, MO.
Joined Apr 2003
493 Posts
Beanie: Fantastic airplane and build. You have an excellent building thread and easy to follow. I am new to building foam airplanes with elictric motor's and I can use all the help that I can get. T hope you will have plans available for this Mig. Good luck and I will be watching closely.

Cecil
flying-inspecto is offline Find More Posts by flying-inspecto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
J: yes, i plan on using an 8x4 for bp-21's. i hear that gives good power for the price point. i'll have to see how it turns out. lemme know if you use yours for another build sooner. originally i had a 21 in the mig-21, but i changed it to a 2409-12 and it works great with a 9x6 prop.

H-J: using 2 aileron servos sounds good. can you post pics of how you do it, because then i can go back and mod the plans so that we can offer both setups to people. your motor should make the mig-21 burn up the sky let me know if the printing is an issue, and i can try and re-format it for you.

cecil: thanks for the compliments! it means a lot to me because it does take some time to remember to take a picture of every single step along the way. i think maybe people think its boring to have so many detailed pics, but since i don't make a nice build guide like jetset44 does, i figure i better document with pictures and some words so that at least some one can possibly follow my rambling madness
if i get enough requests, i'll definitely post the plans. if there are only a few requests, then i'll just send out to the few people that want them after they are finalized. if/when you start building and you come across issues/problems, please feel free to ask them on this thread, and i'll try and help out as much as i can.

-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:41 PM
AMA848091
St. Charles, MO.
Joined Apr 2003
493 Posts
Beanie: Thanks alot. your help will mean a lot. J. Morga and a lot of the other guy's have really been a big help to me. I do want a set of plans if at all possible. Please keep up the good work.

Cecil
flying-inspecto is offline Find More Posts by flying-inspecto
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:59 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Beanie,

Hi! Thanks for the help with that radio question.....

Man, I didn't realize this was a new thread! LOL, I guess I have been away from the forums for a few days and didn't see the start of the thread..... Anyway the point of that statement is to say that WOW, your Migs look really sweet! MAN! That is a cool jet, and the "J" (?) version that you modeled is a totally cool one! Wow, I'm really excited about the possibility of getting to build one of your Migs here in the next few feeks.... Next week sometime I should be able to try and build the F/A-18, and then the Mig will most certainly be next, I can't get over that jet!

Great job man, I can't wait to check out those plans man! One other thing that I'm happy about is that you made the plans to fit 6mm foam for the skins, that's great! I have no 3mm and would rather use 6mm anyway so that's sweet news!

I'm also happy to hear that you are going to be using a 2000-2600 lipo pack on your jet, I'll look forward to hearing about how it flies with the pack you end up using.... I have a couple of packs, both 2100 but different brands, one's a 6.2 oz. pack and the other is a 5 oz. pack. I'm hoping those will work out OK.

All right, sweet man! Take care, and may God bless you! I'll look forward to checking out those plans when you release them!

Your friend,

Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
I printed out your beta plans today. Using a A4 printer 210x297mm
instead of letter wasnīt good, because I missed some parts of the drawing.
Printing 100% size on A3 (297x420mm) was ok!

I will build her direct from your plans without modifying.
Only 2 aileron servoīs will be glued direct in place without linkage.
I will use 3s1p1550, mega 16/7/5 and 4x3 camslimprop.

HJ
May be faster than scale with that setup!
OK, here's a stupid question. Hans, have you ever had a failure with the servo arms glued to the control surfaces? And what type glue do you use? Epoxy?

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hey J, i always glue my servo control horns to the control surfaces and use epoxy. no problems except in a major crash. how do you secure your control surface horns?
-beanie
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Well, I use epoxy for the ply horns when gluing into the different control surfaces but I've never used just the plastic servo arm glued directly to the surface like I've seen Hans do. I think that was what Hans meant, just glue the servo in a position so that you can glue the arm directly to the surface eliminating the connector wire & ply horn.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
H-J: can you post pics of your control horn setups? sounds very interesting and i'd love to learn a new technique for controlling the surfaces.

ok, next step is work on the fuselage. time to work on those FFF bending techniques. i use the method of pulling the part against a straight edge table. you do that a couple times, and a nice little curve is set into the FFF. then, it is simply secured on to the bulkheads and the planform. of note, i had to make many corrections to the v1.0 plans to get these sheets to work out. it was a pain in the butt to do, but i think for anyone who builds her, it saves a lot of time of trial and error cutting and measuring. i did make the pieces slightly larger, so a little sanding will go a longs way here.

first pic is just a mockup of the templates laid out over thier respective places... i just couldn't help it. then, from front to back, i begin the foam curving process. it actually comes together quite quickly. the hot glue gets a little tough for some of the longer pieces because the glue begins to cool before i'd like. if i had more time, i would have used something like UHU Por.
-beanie
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:35 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
beanie,
You should really try Philippe's method of bending. Just take a 3/4" dowel, plastic tube,small rolling pin, or etc and place against your belly. Roll it back and forth putting pressure on your belly. Amazing how well it bends fanfold! I left the table edge for his method except for really long pieces. It works!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
cool J! thanks for the tip. i'll have to give it a shot. i've got some odd bends in my mig-29 design that this may work prefect for. this FFF is just amazing stuff.
-beanie
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:17 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
....if i get enough requests, i'll definitely post the plans. if there are only a few requests, then i'll just send out to the few people that want them after they are finalized......

You've definitely got my vote for releasing the plans!

The build is looking great Beanie, way to go man. I like the way the forward fuselage looks a lot, it looks really clean! This looks like it's going to be a very cool plane, I'm looking forward to hearing about your maiden flight!

Wowm H-J is going to build this jet and use a Mega for power? Whew! Sweet, I bet that'll be a pretty fast little Mig!

One of my favorite parts of the mig is that characteristic and unmistakable nosecone! However, I am just wondering, (and sorry if this is asking you to reveal anything out of the order of the build), but I was just wondering about how you are going to make the nosecone.... Are you going to do it just like a normal fanfold canopy by taking something like 10 or 11 pieces of fanfold, laminating them to make the form, and then sanding them to make it the right shape? Or is there going to be some other method used to make the nosecone? Thanks man, I was just wondering!

May God bless you, and take care!

Your friend,

Matt
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:21 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
sorry - double post
Last edited by birdlives1955; Aug 29, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
May be faster than scale with that setup!
OK, here's a stupid question. Hans, have you ever had a failure with the servo arms glued to the control surfaces? And what type glue do you use? Epoxy?

J
Iīve used this servo mounting [servo arm and servo direct glued with epoxy]
on my two Pitts Specials, Paulīs F-20, the big F-22, Me-262, F-104 ailerons.
The F-104 elevator is glued direct, too. The servo is used to terminate
a swinging between elevator and vertical fin on the T-form, too.
Beginning near the elevator servo, there is a carbon tube glued
in the vertical fin down to one cross section.

Iīve also glued the servo and servo-arm direct between my F-14 and her tailerons. My F-14 crashed in a tree, because one taileron came loose
and I had to glue one servo arm on one of my
Pitts Specials on the field after a not so perfect landing.

Iīve got no more problems so far.

You canīt see the elevator line on this F-104 elevator,
because of a V-cut on the other side. Itīs in line with the servo axis of rotation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=930880

F-104 aileron servos in place:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=930879

HJ

PS: Yes Matt, the small Mega 16/7/5 is moving a ~ 62 cm pusher jet nice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=2
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Aug 29, 2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:20 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
matt: the nose cone is actually a single piece of FFF that is curved.... just like the rest of the fuse. looks like an ice cream cone. i've got a pic of it that i'll be posting pretty soon. i'll try not to go out of order in case anyone wants to use this thread as a build guide.

H-J: wow, that is really cool! i've never thought of attaching control surfaces directly to the servo output arm. i'll have to give that a try some time. so, no slop there, huh? sweet!

-beanie
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:22 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Ah, OK, thanks for letting me know, it's probably much lighter that way... I'll look forward to the continued progress of your online build guide!

I for one will most likely be using this builg log as a guide when I'm ready to start building!

-Matt