HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:46 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
now for the elevator. i used torque rods for this as well. i cut a channel in the aft planform to accept a 3/16" dia alum tube. the alum tube is cut into 2 pieces and are centered by the CF. after the alum tube pieces are glued in, the CF tube is removed and a slot is cut in the foam. the next step is to install the elevator control horn. i made mine out of 1/8" lite ply. i also used another 1/8" lite ply spacer to prevent the elevator CF torque tube from sliding left and right. then, the control rod is threaded through the formers. i once again used plastic tubing to secure the control rod at certain intervals to prevent flexing under strain.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:48 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
i'm sure it'd be easy to convert to a traditional elevator like J and AC have done. i'm lucky enough to have a nicely mowed airfield, that i don't worry so much about the stabilators catching on weeds and long grass on final approach.
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:14 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,020 Posts
Paul's gonna be upset that you're spending time on this instead of the B-1!
Nice work BTW.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:33 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
hey J,
thanks! yeah, i know. i've burnt out a little from the b-1b... all that skinning has taken a toll. i lost my mojo i'm trying to get it back again though. i am inspired by your and AC's MiG-21s that i just had to do my own. mine is the MiG-21J version, different from the 2 of you guys. i chose a later generation because i like bigger dorsal hump.
gotta get back to the bone soon.
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:48 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Beanie,

Hey man! Beautiful job man, it's looking great! WOW! Sweet job with all of the linkages and stuff, servo conservation is definitely a huge plus..... I guess you can't really have flaps, but it's definitely a sweet way to conserve!

Man, the plane is looking great, really clean and really well thought-out! Nice job! This is too cool! Thie Mig-21 is just one of my FAVORITE planes and man I'm so hapy that you are doing this build and making plans! I think that I wanna build it as soon as you are done with the plans LOL!

If you don't mind, I have a question for ya..... Is that a GWS RX in there? Is that the one that you are going to use for the Mig? Do those usually work pretty well? I have one that I used in my A-10, and it's probably still OK but I just didn't think it would have enough range to use in a faster aircraft like the F/A-18/F-20/Mig-21 type parkjets.... I mean that A-10 flies nice and easy on it's stock power set-up but it doesn't travel at too fast of a pace so it's fairly easy to keep it in close range..... I was thinking about getting a Berg pretty soon though, that seems like a pretty good deal for a reciever, but if you think the GWS ones will actually work (without making a plane glitch into the ground ) then I'd be interested to know.... Thanks man!

Beanie, the jet is looking fabulous, great job man! Take care, and may God bless you!

Your friend,

Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:00 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
hey matt!
thanks! this build has been quite easy and fun. bending the foam... i'll be getting to that shortly was fairly simple and lends well to this bird. yeah, i like the mig-21 lots too, esp after seeing J's and AC's builds. i think mine might be a little smaller than theirs.

regarding the GWS receivers, i've definitely had my share of glitches with this receiver. just like you said, for me, it tends to do better in slower flying planes that i can keep in close. i had gotten a ton of them because they were so cheap, but as i have started spending more time on my builds, i feel less inclined to put the gws receivers in. i learned that lesson the near hard way by almost losing my mig-25. i am gonna use the GWS receivers for my profile builds. i have started converting most of my fleet over to berg 4's and now that there is the berg 7, that opens up some more possiblilities. the berg4 has a nice price point that is well worth the minimal extra cost. i think the hitec 05S is similarly priced and has gotten great reviews. i got one to test out in my Trex. i have also liked using FMA M5s (dual conversion), rock solid, but a little more pricey. i think i'm gonna place an FMA M5 in the B-1B.

maybe you'll be able to get one built before you have to head off to classes again?
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
oh yeah, regarding the flaps, i've got my mind thinking about that as well. i wanted to see what the flight characteristics were like first. but i have some ideas of how to achieve inboard flaps and outboard ailerons and still keep everything inside the fuse.
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:38 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Beanie,

Hi! Thanks so much for letting me know about those recievers! That's really interesting to know. You know, for now I was thinking about one of the Berg 4's, www.allerc.com has them w/crystal for like $40, I might pick one of those up sometime soon..... I know the Berg 7's are coming out sometime soon, but most of these jets pretty much only need 3-4 channels anyway I guess..... Thanks for letting me know about the FMA direct recievers, I appreciate that!

Great ideas about the inboard flaps, that sounds cool! I've wondered if anyone has ever tried leading edge flaps (?).... I think Thomas Nelson did a LE flap expirement once, I'll see if I can dig up that vid.... That'll be intetesting, I hope the inboad flaps idea works out nicely on your build if that's what you end up doing.

Haha, well, I don't know about getting another jet built before classes start..... As a matter of fact, we just moved into a new place here near the school yesterday, so it's going to be a while before things get sorted out.... However, my mom found the coolest thing on the street last night..... A BUILDING TABLE! Man, people leave stuff on the sides of the street here all the time that can be put to good use, it'll make a nice little parkjet assembly space! LOL.

Anyway, I've got some carbon spars cut for the F/A-18, however after that maybe it'll be time to throw together a Mig-21!

By the way, this isn't exactly related to the Mig, but do you know if you can assign canards to channel four with a Tx? Or do you have to have an Rx that has at least a 5th channel for canard wings? Thanks man! Sorry to ask all of the questions.... I guess we're all still learnin'!

May God bless you, and take care!

Your friend,

Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
hey matt,
man, you're lucky if you can find building tables off the street! i'm using 2 tables right now and wish i had more space. regarding the canards, i think it really up to your transmitter. on the higher end computer transmitters, you can reprogram things. by canard wings, do you mean in place of elevators? if so, then just use channel 2 for the canards and your right stick up/down for the canards. if you mean in addition to the elevators, then i think you're gonna need some computer mixing to handle the changes in pitch that may occur. also check out balsapr.com. for the bergs. i think you can get it for like $36 with crystal there. but i like allerc as well.
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
a little work on the elevators now. cut them out. then installed a thin 2mm CF rod into the long things at the lateral sides of the stabilators. tunnel for the CF torque tube was cut. then i glassed with 0.75oz/sqft glass cloth and WBPU. this toughens up the structure quite a bit. also, it gives the torque tube a nice little 'home'.
-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:43 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
Yowzer, that's a beautiful MiG, Beanie! GREAT work!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,020 Posts
beanie,
Is that one of those BP-21's you're hanging on there?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:16 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
steve- thanks! its all thanks to you that i started in on park jets

J- that is a bp-21 in my v1.0 and bp-12 on v2.0. i hear that the 2410-12 is supposed to give out great power. so, i'm gonna give both of them a try. at $14.95/motor, i figure, it'd be hard to go wrong (barring a crash that is).

-beanie
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:36 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,020 Posts
Yes, I picked up a couple of the BP-21's w/esc for $39 awhile back. But I haven't tried them in anything yet.
Do you run GWS 8x4 props on them? I think that's what was recommended.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,072 Posts
I printed out your beta plans today. Using a A4 printer 210x297mm
instead of letter wasn´t good, because I missed some parts of the drawing.
Printing 100% size on A3 (297x420mm) was ok!

I will build her direct from your plans without modifying.
Only 2 aileron servo´s will be glued direct in place without linkage.
I will use 3s1p1550, mega 16/7/5 and 4x3 camslimprop.

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim