Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt5abdaa
........The Indian air force is the largest operator of the MiG-21

True, jatt, even though we're not very proud of our flight record vis-a -vis Mig 21s. We've had an abominable record of crashes while official reasons may vary, the inside story is that the Mig 21 is, inherently, a b**ch of a plane to fly.
Check this link out for a news report
I have a few IAF pilots as patients, who have since become friends, and they all say that if you've flown a Mig 21, you can fly any fighter jet in the world with an arm tied behind your back.

That said, the Mig 21 is one of the mainstays of our airforce and all our pilots are proud to have flown it.
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Last edited by docrob; Sep 11, 2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: forgot the link
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Addendum:

Where are the plans beanieeeeeeeeeeeee??????????????
I wanna see how fast I can build this beauty.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:45 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Wow, very cool list of paint schemes, thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to invest in an airbrush now..... I hope the cheap ones can still make stuff look good! I think I'd like to try the Cobras/Rattlers one with the drak/light green camo and the black.yellow highlights. That one is fantastic! I think that's a possibility for when I get to build this cool Mig!

HJ,

WOW! Great videos! I've just had a chance to watch them, my school has high-band width internet so I can download vids here.... Those are some sweet vids, great flying! Your Mig really floats at that weight too, it looks like a feather with a motor on it in the air! Great job though, sweet piloting too!

This jet is bigger than I thought it was.... Looks like it'll be just about the right size for my power system without being too overweight.... My motor and batts tend to be on the heavy side for most parkjets.... However, I have two batts that'll work for this one, one's 6.2 oz. and the other's about 5 oz. and the motor weighs about 2.8 oz, so I guess a power system that weighs between 7.8-9 oz. isn't all that bad for a parkjet.....

I think I'm going to start this one soon, I have a jet to finish and might do a tiny little 75%'er before trying to tackle the Mig.... However, it's really exciting to know that somone has already successfully built and flown the Mig-21! Hopefully it's a little easier to fly than the real thing. May God bless you, and take care.

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:09 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Addendum:

Where are the plans beanieeeeeeeeeeeee??????????????
I wanna see how fast I can build this beauty.
Hey doc,

all in all, Iīve used 8 hours work from the first cut to get her in the air.
Thatīs the race record for now!

THX Matt,

my setup is ~ 3.5 oz lighter. Weīll see where your MiG-21 will end up.
I donīt think its a problem.

Greetings
Hans-Joachim

PS: If beanie isnīt answering the next 24 hours, it will be "OK"
.. that I email the beta plans to you, if you want.
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:19 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
Hey doc,

all in all, Iīve used 8 hours work from the first cut to get her in the air.
Thatīs the race record for now!

PS: If beanie isnīt answering the next 24 hours, it will be "OK"
.. that I email the beta plans to you, if you want.
THAT, I can do in a day. Just have to pass on my surgeries to my no.2 .

24 hours is up!!!! Look at the time zones . You already have my mail ID.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:45 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
Upps, you are right! .. looks like, youīve got mail!

HJ

PS: Iīve only used one carbon tube instead of two.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Haha you guys are too much, I hope you have fun building this jet Doc! I hope that your surgeries recently have gone OK!

H-J, thanks for letting me know about the weight, I really appreciate it! Looks like it won't be that much of an issue, also I'm going to try to learn to thin acrylic paints with windshield wiper fluid or something else in order to try and reduce the wieght of the paint a little bit. If it flies OK during the miaden..... But anyway, this little jet is still about 2 builds away for me!

By the way H-J, would you mind me asking a question? What CG and control throws ended up working well for you on the Mig? It looks like you have the Mig-21 flying at its optimum level so I'd imagine the the control throw and CG numbers that you are using must be spot-on. Also, did you use beanie's method of a single servo for the ailerons, or did you use two servos? Thanks a lot! May God bless you, and take care!

-Matt
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,088 Posts
The c/g is 27,5 cm (10.83 inc) from the fuselage/wing starting point
along the leading edge of the wing. Maybe the point is a little bit back, but I like this setup.
Sheīs gliding without motorpower very well and straight.

Elevator/aileron moving is +/-1inc (+/- 2,54 cm), now.

Iīve used two aileron servos. The servos and servo arms are directly glued
into the wing / ailerons.

You can see it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549048

in post #4, picture 6

Greetings
Hans-Joachim
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
hey guys,
sorry, i've been slammed at work. hopefully i'll get back home in time tonight to tidy up the plans. i just have to add the CG info and update the legend area. then i can post it. got a lil' bro to the mig-21 that i've been working on too
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
H-J,

Thanks!

Beanie,

Hi! No sweat man, I hope you are doing ok, maybe work will let up soon!

Whoa, what's this little brother that you're talking about?! Are you sure you don't mean Big Brother? Just kidding, anyway serisouly are you working on a little Mig-21? Or is it a further development on the Mig-29? Haha, sorry to hound you man it's just so cool that you are working on all of these Russian fighters, they are too cool! Take care, and may God bless you.

-Matt
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
hey matt- by little bro, i mean an earlier version mig. i completely forgot about the mig-29. it'll be a little while before i can get back to the mig-29. if i take any more diversions from the bone, paul and steve will kill me. and if you are into soviet designs, i've got another couple sittin' on my CAD worksheet in various stages of completion. on the little bro, i completed some plans, but then figured that it was too small, so i have to enlarge it to 145% (36"WS) which places it into the 1/11th scale (same as the MiG-21).

docrob- thanks for that info on the MiG-21 and that paint scheme site. i'm still in the process of painting mine. boy, if you build the MiG-21, i can't wait to see your finishing job on it!

after i get through some work tonight, i'll try and finish up the plans and at least get a version decent enough for release.

-beanie
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
ok, here are the plans as they stand.
first up are the 'scout' pics to help people orient the tiled pieces of paper. this should speed things up a bit. again, some paper is wasted, but that was to minimize the number of times pieces cut across 2 or more pieces of paper.
-beanie
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
oops sorry. double post.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
i haven't made a non-tiled version of the plans. i always seem to run into a bit of trouble with that. i won't bother with the non-tiled unless there is actually a demand for them. just lemme know.
-beanie
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:31 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
[QUOTE=birdlives1955]Wow, very cool list of paint schemes, thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to invest in an airbrush now.....

You can get a complete airbrush kit (minus the air can) for $5.00 at www.Harborfreight.com on specials/sale. By the way I use to paint touchup on Real F-15E with a air nozzle sprayer and a coffee stirer straw in a small cup. Turned out nice.
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52