SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Discussion
how to repair damaged parts under sheeting?

Would it be really difficult to repair parts under sheeting?
thanks in advance!
jinithith2 is offline Find More Posts by jinithith2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:46 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
It is easy for a master craftman. It is hard for a klutz. Superman, using his X-ray power, makes it easy.

It you want advise, describe the boo-boo exactly with every fact. A picture would be helpful.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
I was just wondering cause I'm a first time builder and I'm debating on whether or not sheeting would make repairs unnecessarily difficult.

Let's just say one of the fuse formers collapsed or shattered under the sheeting.
What would I do?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:12 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Design the structure better with lighter weight and higher strength. If the former shattered, it depends on the former. Is the former made of balsa sheet with one grain direction, built up balsa former with two or more grain directions, lite ply, birch ply? It depends on the fuselage dimensions and the uses of the model. It depends on the spacing between the formers. Repair is easier with wood glue type and amount. The wood is 5 to10 times strength with the grain compared to cross grain strength. A simple former with one grain is weak because of its cross grain strength. A built up former or ply wood former is much better.

Are you worried about the former shattered because hanger rash or flying crash? Be careful!

Avoid the boo-boo by careful flying. Don't fly beyond you flying skills. If you don't have enough flying skills, get a teacher to help you flying at high alitude.
Last edited by Ollie; Aug 26, 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
You can go to my Stuka buil thread or my blog to see the pics of the formers, but for now, that is gonna have to be the best solution-don't crash
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:21 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
oops, this thread is supposed to be in builder's workshop... dang!
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:35 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Put two 1/16 x 1/16 " balsa sticks to build up the former so it doesn't crack short cross grain either end of the former. No problem!
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:42 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
aha! I'll try that, thanks for the advice!