HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:40 AM
Hep
New York, NY
Joined Jun 2006
123 Posts
Discussion
Buttercup Electric Conversion

Saw this in this month's AMA magazine and thought it would make a good RET electric, scaled up a bit.

It's a 1985 design originally for glow with 27" wingspan.

It will be scaled up to 36" for wing loading around 7 oz, with an AXI 2208/34 and a 9x7 prop left over from a past project.
Hep is offline Find More Posts by Hep
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:50 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Nice! Plans anywhere?

Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hep
New York, NY
Joined Jun 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYWINGFAN
Nice! Plans anywhere?

Sam
Since I'm not building to the original model size, I just enlarged the plan from the magazine article at Kinkos to 36" wingspan. I took 2 copies, one for cutting cardstock jibs, which I finished last night.

If you're going to use the AMA Plans service...it's a Fred Reese design, AMA Plan # 478 from the June 1985 issue. I think the rolled plan is about $10 with shipping and handling, then an enlargement at Kinkos is about $10-ish.

Until your question, I hadn't searched for other Electric Buttercups. The original designer had plans for a 50" stick built geared 400 version published in RCM, before he passed away. Fred Reese is an AMA Hall of Fame member.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...WJsHqQVHg3j4S0

Others have built the electric Buttercup and posted to forums.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=buttercup

I'm going to see if I can get the glow version to an acceptable weight for the AXI and NiMH.
Last edited by Hep; Aug 26, 2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hep
New York, NY
Joined Jun 2006
123 Posts
Kitted, Ready to Frame Up

Hopefully tonight.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:47 AM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Here's my Buttercup.

I was inspired after reading the plans revisited article to build one. I'm too lazy to cut out the plane, so I lasered them instead. It's a quick little plane, but it flew very well.

WS: 27"
Area: 130 in sq.
AUW. 4.9oz
Power: 2 Cell Kokam 340mAh LiPo
Motor: GWS, LPS-RXC-BS
Prop: GWS 0843
Servos: (2) 4.3gm Blue Arrow
Rx: 4.5gm, Blue Arrow, 5 channel
Covering: SoLite

The rudder seems a bit small for what I want. I think a biplane version would work and look awesome! Any takers?

-Mike
mikeythev is offline Find More Posts by mikeythev
Old Nov 06, 2006, 06:32 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
mikeythev, That is one nice looking plane. B y changing the color so drastically it tends to not look like the Buttercup. Notice I said "tends to". It certainly would look more like the Buttercup if you do the window blackout as per original.

This plane could be made to do many things with its style. I do mean style! It grabs your attention right away (at least it does mine). This plane could have another set of wings and still look like it should.

Does anyone have a decent scan of this plan?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 07, 2006, 06:24 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Flight times

By the way, using the above setup with my Buttercup, I'm getting 25 minute flights. That's right, 25 minutes on a 340mAh, 2 cell lipo. I'll have video for you soon.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:25 AM
Cardington,Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
275 Posts
020 powered

my wife made this from plans around 1987. Isn't life great..!..all the parts she constructed. All I did was put the tail on square and put the radio in,Oops, I did the flying lol
.She covered it too. She had covered my "Gentle Lady" aboout a month earlier. I still have it,Still new, never been flown yet from back then..she hates yellow so the buttercup is purple and she calls it the "Iris" instead of Buttercup.. I launched it one time without the RX being turned on. Lucked out, it was trimmed right and just made gentle climbing loops untill it ran out of gas and gently floated back down. It's still on my wall about 8 feet behind me with 10 other planes from the 80's

There is a beautiful red white and blue aeromaster bipe about 48 inches, with stars just above my head hanging on 3 chains, never been flown.... sighs

I have , a "quaker" that is almost done from plans from a Ben Buckle kit that I built back then. I'm going to teach 3 grand kids how to fly it this summer, It has a Os 25 with a big prop, will just put put around the sky for them.
did i mention I love airplanes
skychaser53 is offline Find More Posts by skychaser53
Old Nov 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
I like your buttercup story with no Rx being turned on. I love planes too.

I just added a set of landing gear to the Buttercup and can't wait to test it. I purchased a larger battery, 480mAh, and two different props to test. I'm hoping to get 25 minute flights still, but I want to to "touch and go's" all day long.

I'm currently working on getting ideas for variations on the Buttercup plan.

Here's what I have dreamed up so far:
1. Low wing Buttercup (sport model)
2. Biplane Buttercup (indoor primarily)
3. Twin Buttercup (gws direct drive)
4. Trike gear Buttercup (yes, with steerable nosewheel)
5. Larger scaled up Buttercup, 36-40" span

I'm going to be building these with my high school students, and they're going to do the designing and building with my oversight. I hope to have a fleet of them by the spring time.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:15 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,328 Posts
I have the plans and have built the 50" span version published on one of the mags.

I didn't use the geared 400 like it said since that is a little out of date and heavy. Instead I put a GWS 350C with the C gearing in it. Very low amp draw and high power. Flights were very nice and relaxing with touch and goes four 20 minutes on KAN 950 cells.

Nice plane!
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:27 PM
Cardington,Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
275 Posts
flight times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeythev
By the way, using the above setup with my Buttercup, I'm getting 25 minute flights. That's right, 25 minutes on a 340mAh, 2 cell lipo. I'll have video for you soon.
It's been probably 17 years since I flew the Buttercup.With the o20 I'm thinking it flew a few minutes. 3 to 5 ? long time ago lol.. The 020 was ok. But I bought a new td020 to put on it, but didn't get around to it. Still have the TD in the drawer )
good flying All of you with your versions.
skychaser53 is offline Find More Posts by skychaser53
Old Nov 15, 2006, 09:44 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Buttercup Update

After I added the landing gear, I decided to upgrade the battery to a 480mAh instead of a 340mAh. It's still a 2 cell, but I'm hoping to still get long flights despite the small increase in weight. The new 480 doesn't weigh that much more than the old 340 anyway.

Flight performance is still superb. I've had to move the battery back further to keep the plane balanced properly. The landing gear on this little guy makes the plane even more fun that it already is. I used 0.055" piano wire with MPI 1.25" wheels. They are the "bomb diggity."

I must have done 10 touch and goes in a row today. I flew for over 20 minutes with plenty of battery left over. My Astroflight 109 stated it only put in 0.24A back in the battery. I'm calculating 40 minutes of flying!!!

Pics to follow soon.

I'm enjoying myself too much with this little plane. Come on good weather!!!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hep
New York, NY
Joined Jun 2006
123 Posts
I'm Not Dead

Hopefully returning to this project this weekend - got sidetracked by a discus launch project shortly after I started the Buttercup build.

Here's the culprit for those of you that have any curiosity around Discus Launch Gliders - they make good Parkflyers too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575902
Last edited by Hep; Nov 16, 2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:42 PM
I like foam
outside of philadelphia
Joined Nov 2005
287 Posts
Here's the finished model. She's actually kinda cute... AUW is just at 5oz.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hep
New York, NY
Joined Jun 2006
123 Posts
Very nice looking!

What kind of cutter / software do you use?